News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 16, 2019, 10:33:19 PM
Somehow I don't think the Sonic Sez regarding "everyone loves getting hugs from someone they like"  would really fly in this era of PC kids programming.  Come to think of it how much of the old school PSA culture (especially regarding drugs) would fly these days?
This 70s PSA could address amonst other things: Mr Yuk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVU6uTADf9w

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Big John on December 16, 2019, 11:15:18 PM
Somehow I don't think the Sonic Sez regarding "everyone loves getting hugs from someone they like"  would really fly in this era of PC kids programming.  Come to think of it how much of the old school PSA culture (especially regarding drugs) would fly these days?

I'm more of the fan of the 80s War on Drugs stuff.  I wouldn't haven't known what drugs were if a Snake Man hadn't told me:

roadman

Quote from: In_Correct on June 12, 2019, 10:14:42 PM
That old The Little House cartoon, complete with the clown faces, is about Anti-Urban-Renewal.

As a young child, the Virginia Lee Burton book The Little House was one of my favorites.  Never could admit it to anyone though, as it was considered to be a "girls" book at the time.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

In_Correct

Quote from: US71 on December 16, 2019, 06:36:44 PM
I don't have all the details handy, but Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer has had a few things changed/edited out over the years.

There are a few reasons for that.

At the end of it, the guy threw his axe and licked it yet again. But this time he found Peppermint.

Viewers demanded that there were not enough scenes involving The Island Of Misfit Toys. So the next year, They replaced the original ending with an ending about The Island Of Misfit Toys. Since this is supposed to air on television every year, they did not have enough time to air both scenes.

And 20 years ago they began to delete even more scenes to make room for commercials. Actually most of these commercials are not advertisements. They have to do with other programmes. I am not a fan of Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. Despite Rudolph's Shiny New Year being spookier than Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, I became more frightened of Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. One of the things I never liked is when he licked his axe, even if the original ending explained why.

But there are other specials that I preferred, such as The Year Without A Santa Claus, and Twas The Night Before Christmas. A.B.C. Family deleted one of the songs a long time ago. ... the "Let Up A Little On The Wonder Why And Give Your Heart A Try" song. And now the "My World Is Beginning Today" song from Santa Claus Is Coming To Town is deleted.

The only things inappropriate for television that they have is not providing enough time for commercials as well as "commercials". But they released them on DVD and Blu Ray including the deleted scenes. Sometimes they have them completely restored such as having the Peppermint ending occurring before the final Island Of Misfit Toys scene.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Scott5114

There has been some question in recent years about whether the Rudolph story in general is in good taste, since the message that could be reasonably be taken away from it is that any difference or deformity one has will only be accepted when it is useful to someone else.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Terry

Try doing this opening from "Here come the 70's", a Canadian produced program that aired on CTV from 1970 to 1973.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 17, 2019, 03:44:08 PM
There has been some question in recent years about whether the Rudolph story in general is in good taste, since the message that could be reasonably be taken away from it is that any difference or deformity one has will only be accepted when it is useful to someone else.

Funny.  I started saying that in jest years ago.  Now people are saying it in earnest?  Our society is pathetic.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

As the Fakebook meme points out

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

RobbieL2415

They will never allow there to be another Star Wars Holiday Special.

cwf1701

Of course, many skits and stunts now have the disclaimer "do not try". I remember watching comedy skits on tv where kids did funny stuff that would not be shown today unless they put "do not attempt" before the skit. for example, When i was a boy about 9, i saw a skit with a boy (about the same age as me in the skit) at the bowling alley. in the skit, when the boy goes to release his bowling ball, he is taken over the foul line and down the lane to the pins for a strike. I Don't know how many kids of the mid 70s (myself included) after seeing something like it, would then try to do what he did on tv.

roadman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 18, 2019, 05:53:46 PM
They will never allow there to be another Star Wars Holiday Special.

Given how pathetic the franchise has become (Baby Yoda - really?), I don't see how that's a bad thing.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Must we ruin everything?!?

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman on December 19, 2019, 04:41:48 PM

Must we ruin everything?!?

Won't someone think of the poor NBC and General Electric executives' bank accounts?!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Big John on December 16, 2019, 11:15:18 PM

And this PIF (public information film as they're known in the UK) wouldn't be made today as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZhB7fTLezw

Meanwhile, this anti-drug PSA broadcasted in Canada during the 1990s was more better then some others of the same era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6rO3TGDAHs

texaskdog

and if you needed an "Indian" there was always a white guy who could put on the red face.  Of course it's still an NFL logo.

kphoger

Any cartoon for children in which the characters don't all get along, cooperate, live happy and fulfilling lives.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on December 20, 2019, 01:16:12 PM
Any cartoon for children in which the characters don't all get along, cooperate, live happy and fulfilling lives.

Go watch Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, or The Venture Bros...in order of decreasing family-friendliness.

roadman

Quote from: formulanone on December 20, 2019, 01:31:27 PM

Go watch Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, or The Venture Bros...in order of decreasing family-friendliness.
Adventure Time.  Everything that's gone wrong with animation and television neatly summarized in a single cartoon series.

formulanone

Quote from: roadman on December 20, 2019, 01:50:05 PM

Adventure Time.  Everything that's gone wrong with humanity animation and television neatly summarized in a single cartoon series.

Fixed that for you.

Some of us prefer TV without a studio audience, predictable plots, or low-quality acting.

texaskdog

RobbieL2415

Add Gumball and Steven Universe to that list.  But at least these shows are tackling serious issues like rape and sexuality.

texaskdog

Quote from: roadman65 on December 16, 2019, 11:03:41 AM
Tom and Jerry.  The pool hall cartoon where Jerry uses the score wire to launch a mechanical bridge to fire at Tom.  Of course like always Tom changes physical shape as the cartoon's running gag throughout its entire run, but Tom swallows the handle of the bridge with the actual bridge stuck in his mouth altering his face to look like a doofus.  Being that he said "Uh duh a duh a duh" could in today's world be considered picking on the mentally challenged.

Not only the violence but the fat black woman is a stereotype....never mind that there are fat black women....

dvferyance

On Green Acres Mr Haney mentioned a taco parlor that gets busy during the season we import our then he used a word that starts with a w that refers to an illegal immigrant. I know that would never be allowed on TV today.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.