News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Strangest Ads You've Seen

Started by jlam, February 19, 2024, 01:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlam

What are some of the strangest ads you've seen/heard, whether advertising a weird product or hitting a little too close to home? I just heard an ad for E-470 (yes, the eastern Denver bypass) on Spotify. I'd never seen a road ad before.

hotdogPi

This was on the radio, so I only heard it, but I've heard an Infiniti of Norwood and an Xfinity commercial consecutively.

Also consecutively, a Trump ad making claims that the ad immediately preceding it (for Nikki Haley) explicitly called false backed up by PolitiFact.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

Probably almost every Zima ad in the 1990s.  I was convinced that I had imagined or remembered something wrong until I saw some randomly on YouTube.

vdeane

Anyone remember the book 55 Ways to Have Fun with Google?  The chapter on Google Ads Gone Wrong has some interesting ones.

Mars Rover Insurance
Sexy Syphilitic Singles
Ebay: Discount Dead Pets, New and Used Jerusalem Israel
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bandit957

Around 1982, there was a weird commersh for Perkins restaurants. The ad showed a little girl sitting in a kitchen of a home talking about a souvenir glass Perkins was offering. At the end of the ad, she is seen walking on a sidewalk in front of the house, and she tripped and fell. She dropped the glass on the pavement, shattering it. I've never been able to find this on YouTube.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

gonealookin

It's Reno...so we have divorce attorneys, with duct tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U-X6aG2NgA

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Henry

On TV, I've seen ads for Lexus and Alexa (of Amazon) played back-to-back.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Molandfreak

Quote from: epzik8 on March 21, 2024, 08:38:43 PM
Any Wendy's ad this decade.
"Bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when we bring your food?"
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

TheHighwayMan3561

The pandemic-era Bud Light ad with the cardboard cutout New York Giants fan was creepy as hell.

I've probably seen thousands of ads as a sports fan, so it's tough to single out particularly grotesque ones.

Oh, I remember one. Early 2010s I think, I forgot precisely what the ad was for (I think it was some kind of phone directory service) a woman taking a bath while sweage and poop is pumping into the tub and she has no idea because she's wearing an eye mask.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bandit957

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 22, 2024, 03:13:59 AM
The pandemic-era Bud Light ad with the cardboard cutout New York Giants fan was creepy as hell.

I've probably seen thousands of ads as a sports fan, so it's tough to single out particularly grotesque ones.

Oh, I remember one. Early 2010s I think, I forgot precisely what the ad was for (I think it was some kind of phone directory service) a woman taking a bath while sweage and poop is pumping into the tub and she has no idea because she's wearing an eye mask.

About 25 years ago, there was a beer commersh that prompted a big protest. It consisted of a woman gossiping about something in a bar, and the man takes a big swig of beer, and then the voice of the sports announcer on the TV replaces the woman's voice.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Mr_Northside

Over the last few years, it seems they're really trying to sell the packaging much more than the food.  They really like the word "bag".
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Molandfreak

I know you aren't supposed to think about it this much, but I've always wondered about the logistics of a cheese wheel writing a note and taping it to the doctor's back. :-D
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Takumi

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 22, 2024, 03:05:07 PM

Over the last few years, it seems they're really trying to sell the packaging much more than the food.  They really like the word "bag".

They also have different kinds of weird on different platforms. Their schtick on Facebook is imitating technologically illiterate Facebook boomers, and on X, formerly known as Twitter*, they do a lot of roast/snark posts.

I had to do that just once.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CNGL-Leudimin

This one from the German supermarket chain Netto Marken-Discount:
https://youtu.be/iNtYHswzFzM?si=HB8Swr0UL0We3SMF
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.