News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on December 01, 2019, 10:56:53 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 01, 2019, 09:09:19 AM
How many books have ever been written by animals?

Every book that's ever been written.

Well the Book of Alan was and wasn't written by Goat Jesus.  Then again wouldn't we all be animals in the eyes of the King of the Goats?

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2019, 02:04:10 AM
When there's enough room to park two cars between driveways, and someone parks directly in the middle preventing a 2nd car from parking there.

As someone who street parks on the regular, that drives me nuts. There's only so many spots, everyone. Don't be selfish. Always pull up to the edge of the curb, excluding at the ends of blocks (depending on local laws).

The saying "six of one, half a dozen of the other"  ....   just say "doesn't matter"; no reason to expend that much energy to say something so simple.

Mentioned before, six-number dates. I always write out the full year, although I also spell the month.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2019, 01:14:29 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2019, 02:04:10 AM
When there's enough room to park two cars between driveways, and someone parks directly in the middle preventing a 2nd car from parking there.

As someone who street parks on the regular, that drives me nuts. There's only so many spots, everyone. Don't be selfish. Always pull up to the edge of the curb, excluding at the ends of blocks (depending on local laws).

The saying "six of one, half a dozen of the other"  ....   just say "doesn't matter"; no reason to expend that much energy to say something so simple.

Mentioned before, six-number dates. I always write out the full year, although I also spell the month.

Speaking of parking on City streets the practice of "spot claiming in Chicago"  used to drive me up the wall.  The city didn't do that great of a job of plowing the streets which would lead people to shovel out spots and put down some sort of material as a "claim."   For some reason the practice would end up extending to non-neighborhood streets in the winter which did receive adequate plowing.  Some ass hat would always try to claim the best spot on a well plowed road that went to commercial establishments. 

GaryV

In football
-- Eyeball where they made the first down
-- Eyeball where the chains are placed
-- Eyeball where the next ball is downed
-- And then measure, and hold up hands indicating that they missed the first down by 2 inches.  Really?

Beltway

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 01, 2019, 12:31:56 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 01, 2019, 08:57:31 AM
Quote from: Merriam-Webster
humane
marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals
humane prison guards
a more humane way of treating farm animals
Dates back to 1552 with the current meaning.
late Middle English: the earlier form of human, restricted to the senses above in the 18th century.
. . . . .
Who says that the English language didn't try to conflate humans and animals in stature?
So you're really taking issue with a point of English usage that dates back 300 years? Are you going to hold the Potomac back with your palm for your next trick?
My complaint was about the use of "humane" to refer to the treatment of animals, as they are not "human."

Who says that the English language used it that way in the 1500s?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: GaryV on December 01, 2019, 01:40:12 PM
In football
-- And then measure, and hold up hands indicating that they missed the first down by 2 inches.  Really?

The teams are always welcome to ask for measurements every play.  A few inches doesn't matter when they're yards away.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 01, 2019, 01:21:58 PM

Speaking of parking on City streets the practice of "spot claiming in Chicago"  used to drive me up the wall.  The city didn't do that great of a job of plowing the streets which would lead people to shovel out spots and put down some sort of material as a "claim."   For some reason the practice would end up extending to non-neighborhood streets in the winter which did receive adequate plowing.  Some ass hat would always try to claim the best spot on a well plowed road that went to commercial establishments. 

This practice exists in every city where there's snow and limited parking. No city is unique or immune to it.

Beltway

How many books have ever been written by:  dolphins, apes, chimps, dogs, cats, swine, cows, horses, buzzards, hawks, parakeets, alligators, crocs, sharks, trout, swordfish, squirrels, deer, bears, rats, iguanas, foxes, coyotes, chickens, geese, etc., etc.?

I had a good chuckle as I wrote this! :-)

(Robert Coté, 2002)

SSOWorld

Quote from: Beltway on December 01, 2019, 01:55:34 PM
How many books have ever been written by:  dolphins, apes, chimps, dogs, cats, swine, cows, horses, buzzards, hawks, parakeets, alligators, crocs, sharks, trout, swordfish, squirrels, deer, bears, rats, iguanas, foxes, coyotes, chickens, geese, etc., etc.?

His point is that humans are animals.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

In football

Measurements are for show and time eating.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2019, 01:54:53 PM
In football

The teams are always welcome to ask for measurements every play.  A few inches doesn't matter when they're yards away.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 01, 2019, 01:21:58 PM

This practice exists in every city where there's snow and limited parking. No city is unique or immune to it.

Yes but the point was that in Chicago it often spread to streets that had plenty of parking.  I'm all good with someone claiming a spot they dug out but not one of a Main Street or Highway that the city cleared out for everyone.  It wasn't uncommon for people even to try to claim tolled parking either. 

Brandon

Quote from: Beltway on December 01, 2019, 01:55:34 PM

They're all written by one species of primate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

wxfree

Corporate naming sponsors

I'd guess that most Americans know that the Cowboys are the football team from Dallas.  When it was called Cowboys Stadium, you automatically knew something about it, what happens there and what area it's located in.  I still call it Cowboys Stadium, because no one paid me to use a different name, and even if you know the official name, you still know what I'm referring to.  Calling it AT&T Stadium tells you nothing about it.  It sounds like a giant cell phone store.  The name gives you no clues at all, so in order to know anything about it, you just have to know what it is.

It's like NTTA's ZipCash.  Locals know what that means, it's a way for cash customers to pay without stopping, in a way that's quick, with zip.  But if you don't already know what it is, then the name doesn't make any sense.  To me, it could as easily mean that the cash lines at the tollbooth move quickly.  "Pay by mail" is the perfect name, because it tells you exactly what it is.  Toll authorities could get corporate sponsorships and call it something else, like "Panasonic Pay" and let the drivers think "dubya tee eff?" and that would make as much sense as calling it AT&T Stadium.

I'm okay with naming things in honor of a person.  To me, doing something to earn that recognition is more worthy than just paying for it, and those names tend to stick, so you don't have to keep up with what the place is called this year as the naming sponsor contracts expire.  Instead of "Panasonic Pay" TxDOT could name their pay-by-mail system "Dewitt C. Greer Pay."  That would at least be something related to the state's highways.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

CNGL-Leudimin

Subtropical storms being named from the same list as fully tropical ones. If you want to name it, use a supplemental list, don't waste names from the main list (IMO two names have been wasted this year).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

HTM Duke

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 01, 2019, 01:48:57 AM
Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on November 30, 2019, 06:19:27 PM
When you're at the convenience store wanting to quickly buy something but the guy in front of you is buying the whole store and has a conversation with the clerk

I honestly don't like it when the clerk wants to engage in small talk with me. Maybe I'm introverted or whatever, but I have absolutely no desire to talk with people that I don't really need to talk with. I have family, friends and coworkers to carry on conversations with, I don't need to discuss my life with someone who's conducting a transaction for me. This is honestly one of the things I liked when I visited New York City, the clerks were mostly impersonal, quick to take your money, give you change and send you on your way. I liked that.

In a similar vein, grocery stores that do not have a self-checkout option.  I prefer self-checkout since I'm usually able to use less bags then checkers do, and the lack of chatter, since it was usually the "round up your total and donate the difference" speech.  (I also have a thing against 24/7 grocery stores that do have self-checkout, but shut them down overnight and use one checkout line.  Nothing like getting stuck behind someone doing a week's worth of grocery shopping at 2 am to turn oneself off.)
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

SSOWorld

Quote from: HTM Duke on December 01, 2019, 07:13:05 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on December 01, 2019, 01:48:57 AM
Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on November 30, 2019, 06:19:27 PM
When you're at the convenience store wanting to quickly buy something but the guy in front of you is buying the whole store and has a conversation with the clerk

I honestly don't like it when the clerk wants to engage in small talk with me. Maybe I'm introverted or whatever, but I have absolutely no desire to talk with people that I don't really need to talk with. I have family, friends and coworkers to carry on conversations with, I don't need to discuss my life with someone who's conducting a transaction for me. This is honestly one of the things I liked when I visited New York City, the clerks were mostly impersonal, quick to take your money, give you change and send you on your way. I liked that.

In a similar vein, grocery stores that do not have a self-checkout option.  I prefer self-checkout since I'm usually able to use less bags then checkers do, and the lack of chatter, since it was usually the "round up your total and donate the difference" speech.  (I also have a thing against 24/7 grocery stores that do have self-checkout, but shut them down overnight and use one checkout line.  Nothing like getting stuck behind someone doing a week's worth of grocery shopping at 2 am to turn oneself off.)

You talk of self-checkouts? I think the opposite.  Our Wal-Mart replaced all but 8 checkout lanes with selfies. Mind you they also have clerks hovering to help (or watch) - and you have the non-techies who struggle (mentioned earlier up-thread)

Also - every loyalty program.  Before you start - "have you used your "store name perks plus rewards on fuel savings card"? (Self checkouts installed at Hy Vee say such and it really sounds like GlaDOS.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 01, 2019, 07:17:25 PM
Also - every loyalty program.  Before you start - "have you used your "store name perks plus rewards on fuel savings card"? (Self checkouts installed at Hy Vee say such and it really sounds like GlaDOS.

As an employee of Hy-Vee, fuck those loud-as-hell self-checkouts. Seriously.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: roadman on November 29, 2019, 10:37:06 AM
Younger people who can't speak without saying "like" every third word.

From what I can gather, "like" is replacing "uh/um/etc." as the filler phrase in conversation while thinking of what to say next (at least in the younger generation). I am guilty of doing this a lot myself, if only subconsciously (as I'm not going out of my way to do it on purpose, or because it's "trendy"). It seems to be a change that has been happening lately in casual speech, but perhaps one that has been occurring more subconsciously.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 30, 2019, 12:31:10 AM
Quote from: ce929wax on November 30, 2019, 12:26:48 AM
It is NOT soda, it is pop.

I can attest as a Michigan native more people around the country use "Soda"  by a large margin.  Using Midwest slang didn't do me favors when I moved in Middle School so I ended up dropping it quickly.

Although I live in the South, it has always felt most natural for me to say "soda." That's not to say "soda" (or any other terms, for that matter) is the one and only correct thing to say, but it's just what I say. If someone says "coke," "pop," "soft drink," etc., I know what they're talking about, and I see all of those as acceptable terms for the beverage, even if some sound more "foreign" to me due to me not hearing them as much (as a result of my location).
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

texaskdog

Quote from: Beltway on November 30, 2019, 02:14:47 PM
Quote from: Throckmorton on November 30, 2019, 11:45:28 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on November 29, 2019, 12:14:41 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 29, 2019, 11:15:16 AM
The "pass interference" call.  Isn't that the defender's job?
I hate "offensive pass interference".  The QB Is not passing to the defense!!!!!
The defender's job is to defend the pass, not to interfere with the receiver's ability to catch the pass.   
Every player on defense is an eligible receiver hence the distinction.   
https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/offensive-pass-interference.aspx

What is Offensive Pass Interference?

A penalty called when an offensive player impedes a defender's ability to play pass defense.  This can mean setting an illegal pick, where an offensive player intentionally gets in the way of another player's defender.  Pass interference is also called when an offensive receiver shoves the defender away from him prior to making a play on the ball.  The penalty is 10 yards from the previous line of scrimmage, and the down is replayed.  Offensive pass interference cannot occur behind the line of scrimmage or after the ball has been touched following the throw.

Sporting Charts explains Offensive Pass Interference

Offensive pass interference is most often called when the offensive player makes an obvious attempt to shove the defender away from him in order to get open to catch a pass.  The official will look to see if the defender could have made a play on the ball if the contact hadn't occurred.  If so, the official will throw the flag.  The other common form of offensive pass interference is the pick play.  An offensive player will intentionally run into a defender to allow a teammate to get open.  The pick is illegal, and pass interference will be called.

Inaccurate term, thus it is correct to be a minor thing that bothers me.

texaskdog

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 01, 2019, 08:21:31 AM
I'm one of those who gets annoyed by almost everything!, Yeah, go ahead and call me out on it. :awesomeface: Most of this certainly is arbitrary and I decline to say everything because it sets off a chain reaction of shit that need not be said.

Quote from: hbelkins on November 29, 2019, 02:03:32 PM
*Overmoderation of this forum  :-D :-D
Good behavior is the solution to your problem ;) (said ind true hypocritical fashion - by the way, H.B., this is a sarcastic response.)

oh by the way, OK Boomer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  (Ok, so I pressed one too many buttons)

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 30, 2019, 11:45:24 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 30, 2019, 11:27:47 PM
Nothing is valid except ISO 8601.

👍

That is the way to go.
Yes.  it sorts better. Also trying to sort files electronically when the policy/trend is to put given name first.

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 29, 2019, 07:22:46 AM
Quote from: US 89 on November 29, 2019, 01:04:45 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 28, 2019, 09:43:24 PM
*  Motorists using their turn signal when exiting.

I disagree, because communicating your intentions is always valuable to other drivers on the road. Also, isn’t this legally required in most states anyway?

Moving into a previously existing lane, absolutely.  Signalling when moving into a new lane at the point it opens up is pointless.

Hey everyone, I'm getting off the freeway!  Yes it makes sense when the idiot exiting slows down to freaking 35 (arbitrary) before committing such action.  Otherwise, I could care less. At the same time, signaling when getting ON the freeway - Hey, I already see you (Though in fairness, not everyone is hyper-aware). Not signaling when changing lanes grinds my gears, however the robotic nature of signaling at every point where its a turn also gets to me - three left turn lanes? you're in the left lane? STILL HAVE TO SIGNAL per the law.

Quote from: texaskdog on November 29, 2019, 10:46:17 AM
In football: not using analytics and therefore punting the ball away on 4th and 1 just so they don't get criticized; overcalling of penalties.  Having two football teams in Los Angeles.  Not going to an 18 game schedule/having those ridiculous pre-season games.

Speaking of football, Here's a tidbit from the TV Tropes "Insistent Terminology" series

American football announcers — presumably fearful lest those of us watching/listening to the games get confused as to exactly which sport is being played — take great pains to insert the word football (as both noun and adjective) into as much of their commentary as possible. So instead of saying, "These players need to move the ball down the field if they're going to win this game", they'll go with something like, "These football players need to move the football down the football field if they're going to win this football game," and so forth.

* Here's a supercut video an intrepid fan made of every time CBS analyst Phil Simms said "football" during a single telecast of an NFL game.note The game, for the curious, was a 2012 Thanksgiving Day matchup between the Detroit Lions and Houston Texans. It was not an especially unusual or important game, although it did go into overtime. (Total count: 58.)

** Baseball announcers, by contrast, will often call entire games without mentioning the name of the sport. Instead, it's "the ballgame", "the ballpark", "the ballplayers", etc.
*PLAY BALL!
*Foul Ball
*Fastball
*Curve Ball

--oh boy...🙄

**The difference is probably because professional football grew up so much in baseball's shadow that most of the teams played in baseball stadiums and many of them were even named after those baseball teams: The New York Giants were at first the New York Football Giants, for instance, until the San Francisco Giants moved to San Francisco.note  Even that professional sports team from Maryland mentioned above was originally the Boston Football Braves. Hence explicitly saying what sport is going on to avoid being mistaken for the other, better-known sport.
Yeah one can understand this.

**An inversion occurs in real life with the Super Bowl. "Super Bowl" is a trademarked phrase, hence the alternate term "The Big Game."
Doesn't mean it can't bother me.

* "I VOTED" Stickers, yeah it's part of the effort to get everyone to be involved in the election, but still.
* I'm a human.  I also am known as a person, American, worker, taxpayer, stakeholder, investor, voter, motorist, etc.  ok, so we change the name based on the context.
* motorist - what does a motor have to do with driving a car? Along these lines, names of car dealerships containing "motor" - Also using the word AUTO to refer to a vehicle.
* Overuse of "and" such as in "each and every", "alcohol and other drugs", etc.
* because it's tradition as a reason for not adapting to changes.

Anyone need a collaboration of "serious business" items? :popcorn:

Law of the month VMS

blah
blah
blah
SLOW DOWN

Yes on the "I voted" stickers.  Having voted doesn't mean you know what you're doing. 

Ben114

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 02, 2019, 03:41:16 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 29, 2019, 10:37:06 AM
Younger people who can't speak without saying "like" every third word.

From what I can gather, "like" is replacing "uh/um/etc." as the filler phrase in conversation while thinking of what to say next (at least in the younger generation). I am guilty of doing this a lot myself, if only subconsciously (as I'm not going out of my way to do it on purpose, or because it's "trendy"). It seems to be a change that has been happening lately in casual speech, but perhaps one that has been occurring more subconsciously.

And you would be correct. We younger people don't say "umm...", we say "like"

Beltway

Quote from: texaskdog on December 02, 2019, 07:52:57 PM
Quote from: Beltway on November 30, 2019, 02:14:47 PM
https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/offensive-pass-interference.aspx
Offensive pass interference is most often called [...]
Inaccurate term, thus it is correct to be a minor thing that bothers me.

The idea being that when the quarterback puts the ball up, both the eligible offense players, and the defenders have equal rights to attempt to catch it.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

texaskdog

I have a right to be bothered by an incorrect name, lol!

DaBigE

- Waitresses and retail staff that insist on calling me 'hun'
- The word "hubby"
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SSOWorld

Quote from: DaBigE on December 02, 2019, 09:44:22 PM
- The word "hubby"
Would you prefer "love" (The British equivalent)?
Scott O.

Raise your what?

DaBigE

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 02, 2019, 09:53:15 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on December 02, 2019, 09:44:22 PM
- The word "hubby"
Would you prefer "love" (The British equivalent)?

Add another one to the list...
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.