News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Rothman

Quote from: texaskdog on December 11, 2019, 03:59:20 PM
If not mentioned before people who overuse "reach out".  Even worse shows that are supposed to be set in the past that say it.  No one every really said it more than two years ago.
What are you talking about?

https://youtu.be/2EaflX0MWRo
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: DTComposer on December 11, 2019, 04:15:11 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2019, 04:03:48 PM

Quote from: texaskdog on December 11, 2019, 03:59:20 PM
"reach out" ...  No one every really said it more than two years ago.

what

Wasn't "Reach out and touch someone" AT&T's slogan for most of the late 20th century?

That jingle was created by AT&T forty years ago, in fact, but it had already existed in print form decades earlier.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

renegade

Quote from: mgk920 on December 11, 2019, 04:12:38 AM.

Also, when driving conditions are 'treacherous' (how can a road commit treason?).

Mike

Treacherous =/= treasonous.  Two different words with two entirely different meanings.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: renegade on December 11, 2019, 06:38:08 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on December 11, 2019, 04:12:38 AM.

Also, when driving conditions are 'treacherous' (how can a road commit treason?).

Mike

Treacherous =/= treasonous.  Two different words with two entirely different meanings.

I have a feeling that many a state Highway could be declared a traitor under the new Chinese Interstate thread. 

jakeroot

"Reach out" like "reach out to Tom and see what he thinks"?

I don't understand how this could be bothersome at all.

SSOWorld

Quote from: texaskdog on December 11, 2019, 08:16:58 AM
Bathroom doors that open in.  I don't wash my hands to touch a dirty door handle being that half the guys don't wash their hands.
so grab it with a towel like the germophobics do.

Quote from: jakeroot on December 11, 2019, 06:52:43 PM"Reach out" like "reach out to Tom and see what he thinks"?

George Carlin has something to say about that (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX_Jry1OOW8)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on December 11, 2019, 07:53:29 AM
Quote from: qguy on December 11, 2019, 07:18:53 AM
1. With a double-door entrance/exit doorway, keeping one of the doors locked, effectively making it a wall with a door handle. The double door is there for a reason: safety. It's meant to provide a wide through-space for dumping the building in an emergency. They're often specified by building codes for buildings over a certain occupancy. Plus, it's just so annoying to pull on a door that doesn't budge. It's like the door says, "Psych!"

When you walk thru the door and push to open the door, but it is locked, the door in effect "pushes back" at you.  Very annoying.

Bathroom doors that open in.  I don't wash my hands to touch a dirty door handle being that half the guys don't wash their hands.

Dont worry. You'll be touching menus, tables, chairs, condiments, salt and pepper shakers, silverware, money, credit cards, and a host of other things that people who didn't wash their hands also touched.

You probably dont even realize the number of things you'll be touching that can be unclean.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 11, 2019, 06:57:35 PM

Quote from: jakeroot on December 11, 2019, 06:52:43 PM"Reach out" like "reach out to Tom and see what he thinks"?

George Carlin has something to say about that (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX_Jry1OOW8)

Speaking of bothersome things, who the hell thought it was a good idea for Steve Roger's to hook up with Peggy Carter's niece?  I mean, I know they don't show "all the details"  in those Marvel movies but it still felt irksome. 

SSOWorld

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2019, 07:14:20 PM

Speaking of bothersome things, who the hell thought it was a good idea for Steve Roger's to hook up with Peggy Carter's niece?  I mean, I know they don't show "all the details"  in those Marvel movies but it still felt irksome. 
Black Widow.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 11, 2019, 08:28:14 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2019, 07:14:20 PM

Black Widow.

That's true, the part with her constantly digging into Steve's personal life to turn around to try to hook him up with the neighbor was a little weird too.  But then again it isn't like Steve didn't know what he was getting into after that funeral in Civil War.  Throw in the time travel and we're getting awfully close to incest territory. 

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2019, 07:09:47 PM
When you walk thru the door and push to open the door, but it is locked, the door in effect "pushes back" at you.  Very annoying.
Dont worry. You'll be touching menus, tables, chairs, condiments, salt and pepper shakers, silverware, money, credit cards, and a host of other things that people who didn't wash their hands also touched.
You probably dont even realize the number of things you'll be touching that can be unclean.

You probably don't even realize it until the vomit starts coming out of your mouth.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on December 11, 2019, 08:58:37 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2019, 07:09:47 PM

You probably don't even realize it until the vomit starts coming out of your mouth.

Good for boosting the immune system. 

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2019, 01:59:58 PM
Non-mechanical keyboards.

Yes, I still have a mechanical keyboard at home, and I am currently using the oldest keyboard in my company because it's closest I can get to truly mechanical.  Unfortunately, the new computer my wife and I bought a year or so ago doesn't have a PS/2 port, and nobody sells PS/2-to-USB adapters anymore, so my good old mechanical keyboard has just been sitting unused for some time now.

Agreed; most of my life had been spent typing on mechanical keyboards (and typewriters) and I dislike the feel of newer keyboards.  So much so that I will buy a true mechanical keyboard from a third party.  (You may want to check out http://www.Matias.ca, they make some decent mechanical keyboards with USB connectors, for both Mac and PC).

DaBigE

Quote from: dlsterner on December 11, 2019, 11:15:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2019, 01:59:58 PM
Non-mechanical keyboards.

Yes, I still have a mechanical keyboard at home, and I am currently using the oldest keyboard in my company because it's closest I can get to truly mechanical.  Unfortunately, the new computer my wife and I bought a year or so ago doesn't have a PS/2 port, and nobody sells PS/2-to-USB adapters anymore, so my good old mechanical keyboard has just been sitting unused for some time now.

Agreed; most of my life had been spent typing on mechanical keyboards (and typewriters) and I dislike the feel of newer keyboards.  So much so that I will buy a true mechanical keyboard from a third party.  (You may want to check out http://www.Matias.ca, they make some decent mechanical keyboards with USB connectors, for both Mac and PC).

You might also look into gaming keyboards, as there are many mechanical keyboards to choose from.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

hbelkins

Regarding shoplifting, I'm definitely not a lawyer, but I cannot see where you have any duty to stop if a store employee -- "loss prevention officer" or cashier or anyone else -- tries to detain you. What authority do they have to stop you from leaving, even if they suspect you've stolen something? Intimidation, maybe? If they're not a sworn law enforcement officer with arrest or detainment powers, seems to me that anyone would be free to leave, and if they physically prevent you from departing, if you have not stolen anything, seems like you'd be able to defend yourself against unlawful imprisonment.

I know we have attorneys and retired attorneys here. Any criminal defense lawyers?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on December 12, 2019, 12:34:23 PM
Regarding shoplifting, I'm definitely not a lawyer, but I cannot see where you have any duty to stop if a store employee -- "loss prevention officer" or cashier or anyone else -- tries to detain you. What authority do they have to stop you from leaving, even if they suspect you've stolen something? Intimidation, maybe? If they're not a sworn law enforcement officer with arrest or detainment powers, seems to me that anyone would be free to leave, and if they physically prevent you from departing, if you have not stolen anything, seems like you'd be able to defend yourself against unlawful imprisonment.

I know we have attorneys and retired attorneys here. Any criminal defense lawyers?

Shoplift apprehensions generally fall under the domain of citizens arrest laws.  Essentially you're observing criminal activity and turning the person suspected of it over to the proper authorities.  Put it this way, in over 500 shoplift apprehensions about the only problem I ever had was with someone who wanted to pick a fight.  The legality of the matter was never an issue because they were always being turned over to an actual police officer who would take them into custody.  In the cases where someone wanted to fight, well it usually went one of two ways when it got there...either way reasonable force applied. 

Something I will say, what a "business"  thinks is reasonable during a shoplift apprehension has changed.  At the turn of the century handcuffing and getting into fights with shoplifters was expected.  I would imagine that some of the confrontations of old would be met with much more public scrutiny these days.  None the less more stores seem to have woke up to the fact that fighting shoplifters isn't a good idea for encouraging business and preventing Workman's Compensation Claims...not to mention real potential for a substantial lawsuit if something was hokey about the stop. 

roadman

When questions are followed by the phrase "Asking for a friend".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2019, 04:10:36 PM
"Reach out"  is still overuse business slang from I observe in my interactions with people.  I get asked "reach out"  to a person and/or people at least three times weekly.

Other overused office language:

"Touch base"
"Livin' the dream"
"Open a can of worms"
"Shoot you" a text/email/contact.  Don't shoot me.  I don't want to be shot.

Other incorrect office language:
"in regards to".  If you can't figure out how to say this phrase correctly, just say "about."  It accomplishes the same thing.  If you can't take the heat of complex prepositional phrases, stay out of the kitchen.
Overuse of generic nouns like "item," "element," or "component," without explaining the context.  These words might as well be pronouns.

Quote from: roadman on December 12, 2019, 01:00:07 PM

I do that ironically as a joke, like with "yolo," or "swag," because I think it's dumb
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 12, 2019, 01:01:17 PM
"Reach out"  is still overuse business slang from I observe in my interactions with people.  I get asked "reach out"  to a person and/or people at least three times weekly.

"Touch base"
"Livin' the dream"
"Open a can of worms"

"in regards to".  If you can't figure out how to say this phrase correctly, just say "about."  It accomplishes the same thing.  If you can't take the heat of complex prepositional phrases, stay out of the kitchen.
Overuse of generic nouns like "item," "element," or "component," without explaining the context.  These words might as well be pronouns.

I do that ironically as a joke, like with "yolo," or "swag," because I think it's dumb

One that really gets to me is calling an employee a "associate"  or "team member."    Associates own stock in a company, it seems that term came from places like Walmart.  I don't play sports with my co-workers or employees so therefore they cannot be teammates.  My co-workers and employees aren't "my family"  either. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2019, 01:12:44 PM
One that really gets to me is calling an employee a "associate"  or "team member."    Associates own stock in a company, it seems that term came from places like Walmart.  I don't play sports with my co-workers or employees so therefore they cannot be teammates.  My co-workers and employees aren't "my family"  either.

"Team members" excludes vendors, while "employees" doesn't.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on December 12, 2019, 01:17:28 PM

"Team members" excludes vendors.

I want to say that Target still calls their Managers by "Executive Team Leader"  or some crazy crap like that.  Customers aren't even called as such, they are "guests."  

DaBigE

"Touch base"
"Livin' the dream"
"Open a can of worms"

All part of the PC/feel-good psychological naming kick. They're not "used cars" they're "pre-owned" because used gives a bad vibe.  :meh: :rolleyes:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DaBigE on December 12, 2019, 01:20:34 PM

"Touch base"
"Livin' the dream"
"Open a can of worms"

All part of the PC/feel-good psychological naming kick. They're not "used cars" they're "pre-owned" because used gives a bad vibe.  :meh: :rolleyes:

So if a person gets divorced and starts to date again should they just say "I'm pre-owned?"

DaBigE

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2019, 01:22:17 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on December 12, 2019, 01:20:34 PM

"Touch base"
"Livin' the dream"
"Open a can of worms"

So if a person gets divorced and starts to date again should they just say "I'm pre-owned?"

Say that to a feminist and you may not come out alive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.