News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qguy

Quote from: crt08 on January 01, 2020, 09:30:59 AM
Cars that like both of mine unfortunately have been, have the gas fuel cap on the passenger side. Just a terrible design, IMO. Not so much the inconvenience of having to go around to the other side, but that too. But that most cars have them on the driver's side, so going to gas stations you basically have to go against the flow of traffic, so to speak in order to fill up. Many times I've approached an empty pump to fill, and someone who has the cap on the (correct) side of their vehicle will pull in from the other side of the pump just as I'm approaching so I have to reverse and find another.  :-D It seems years ago that the hoses at gas stations were often long enough to reach either side of the car, especially when it was more common for cars to have the cap behind the license plate. But it is not so today at most stations.

I currently have two cars, a Ford and a GM. The GM has the fuel filler on the driver's side but the Ford's is on the passenger side. I hate the Ford's configuration.

I don't know why it's not the driver's side for all vehicles. It often causes chaos at gas station, especially smaller ones.

My father had two successive Oldsmobiles in the 1970s that both had fillers behind the plate. I remember thinking at the time that such a configuration was the wave of the future and being shocked to see filler doors on the side again a few years later. Turns out, behind-the-plate filler tubes only work really well with large vehicles that can afford to sacrifice some trunk space.

wanderer2575

The stock question "How are you?" or "How's it going" and the constant response of "I'm doin'" or "it's goin'" I know it's a pleasantry but small talk just has never been my thing.

Absolute agreement.

Drivers that at a particular traffic light here where US-27 changes from three to two lanes immediately after, will get in the right most lane seeing full well it ends ahead, just so that they can speed around everyone and merge in when the light turns green. It shouldn't bother me, but the idea of "I'm more important than everyone else" bothers me far more than it should.

OTOH, there is no reason motorists shouldn't use that lane to get more vehicles through the signal.  There is a similar intersection near me where cars are often stacked 20+ deep in the left lane, no way are they all going to get through on the next green light, and the right lane is empty.  I'll get in the right lane, get through the light, and merge into the single lane past the signal.  I don't usually speed around everyone else; I try to keep pace and merge into an open spot.  But every now and then some a-hole is gonna play judge and jury and refuse to let me merge, in which case, yes, I'll speed ahead a bit and merge into a spot farther up.

Beltway

Sermons that have over use of the admonition to "listen," "listen to this," "watch this," etc.

If you are listening to it on the radio, at the church, conference, etc. you are by definition listening and watching.  But some  preachers have this "preaching tic" where their message is loaded with these terms.  It can get annoying.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Cars that like both of mine unfortunately have been, have the gas fuel cap on the passenger side. Just a terrible design, IMO. Not so much the inconvenience of having to go around to the other side, but that too. But that most cars have them on the driver's side, so going to gas stations you basically have to go against the flow of traffic, so to speak in order to fill up. Many times I've approached an empty pump to fill, and someone who has the cap on the (correct) side of their vehicle will pull in from the other side of the pump just as I'm approaching so I have to reverse and find another.  :-D It seems years ago that the hoses at gas stations were often long enough to reach either side of the car, especially when it was more common for cars to have the cap behind the license plate. But it is not so today at most stations.
Interesting.

My 2016 Buick LaCrosse I think is the first car I have had where the filler cap is on the passenger side.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

wanderer2575

Shameless butchering of older television shows broadcast in syndication.

I don't know why, because it always makes my blood boil, but I am right now watching the Twilight Zone marathon on the SyFy channel.  Easily a third of every episode is chopped out, plus extra commercial breaks have been added in the middle of scenes.  All the cable channels do it, even MeTV (which is specifically dedicated to rebroadcasting older shows), but SyFy has to be the worst offender.

GaryV

Quote from: qguy on January 01, 2020, 10:28:28 AMTurns out, behind-the-plate filler tubes only work really well with large vehicles that can afford to sacrifice some trunk space.

And don't work well at all in rear end collisions.

Max Rockatansky

The sound of phone calls on a cell phone.  For some reason the noise always surprises me no matter how soft of a ring tone I use.  It gets especially grating at night given I'm an on call emergency official.  Newer phones have a weaker vibration feature that I can't feel and/or hear sometimes. 

1995hoo

It's funny, my mom's two Volvos have the fuel filler doors on the passenger side and she prefers it precisely because most cars have it on the driver's side. A lot of people aren't willing to reverse up to the pump or drive in against traffic and so will wait on line, which she says means she gets to the pumps faster because people are waiting for the other pumps she isn't as likely to use.

One of my cars has the fuel filler door on the passenger side and I've noticed the same phenomenon, except I don't have to put gas in it very often so I don't experience it as often as my mom does.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

vdeane

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 01, 2020, 09:03:51 PM
It's funny, my mom's two Volvos have the fuel filler doors on the passenger side and she prefers it precisely because most cars have it on the driver's side. A lot of people aren't willing to reverse up to the pump or drive in against traffic and so will wait on line, which she says means she gets to the pumps faster because people are waiting for the other pumps she isn't as likely to use.

One of my cars has the fuel filler door on the passenger side and I've noticed the same phenomenon, except I don't have to put gas in it very often so I don't experience it as often as my mom does.
It probably depends on how traffic enters a gas station.  If it's configured like a turnpike service area or one entrance is dominant and traffic is all coming to the pumps from the same direction, having a car with the gas on the "wrong" side can be an advantage.  If it's configured in a way where a roughly equal amount of traffic is coming from both sides, it can lead to the situation described earlier (heck, I've experienced it too, even though my car gets gas on the "correct" side!).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

It seems like the majority of cars I've owned had the fuel cap on the passenger side.  Personally I prefer it that way since I have more room to get out of the car at the pump and don't have to worry about smashing my door.  The thing that gets me is the little fuel cap release lever on Asian cars.  I suppose it helps prevent someone from stealing your gas but I also forget to hit the lever about 20% of the time I fill up. 

DaBigE

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2020, 09:51:08 PM
It seems like the majority of cars I've owned had the fuel cap on the passenger side.  Personally I prefer it that way since I have more room to get out of the car at the pump and don't have to worry about smashing my door.

^ This. I used to loathe having the filler cap on the passenger side, but I've learned to like it for this reason. Additionally, there's something I find awkward with the ones that are on the driver side and thus having the filler door open right in front of me/blocking me. It's far from hard to reach around...more just a psychological thing of having something in my direct path while trying to maneuver the nozzle.

What annoys me more is when the manufacturer moves it for different generations of the same vehicle. For instance, my 2018 Ford Escape has it on the passenger side. The 2012 body style and now the 2020 body style have it on the driver side.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

GenExpwy

Quote from: vdeane on January 01, 2020, 09:25:16 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 01, 2020, 09:03:51 PM

It probably depends on how traffic enters a gas station.  If it's configured like a turnpike service area or one entrance is dominant and traffic is all coming to the pumps from the same direction, having a car with the gas on the "wrong" side can be an advantage.  If it's configured in a way where a roughly equal amount of traffic is coming from both sides, it can lead to the situation described earlier (heck, I've experienced it too, even though my car gets gas on the "correct" side!).

At the BJ's Wholesale Clubs I go to,the gas area is strictly one-way, and the pumps advertise extra-long hoses to reach to the far side. A key to that working well is that the hose is connected to the nozzle with a swivel coupling, which gives you a critical extra foot or so.

Quote from: qguy on January 01, 2020, 10:28:28 AM
My father had two successive Oldsmobiles in the 1970s that both had fillers behind the plate. I remember thinking at the time that such a configuration was the wave of the future and being shocked to see filler doors on the side again a few years later. Turns out, behind-the-plate filler tubes only work really well with large vehicles that can afford to sacrifice some trunk space.

A few years ago I was watching a classic-car auction on TV, when some late-'50s tail-fin-era car came up. They showed that the filler cap was hidden inside the tail-fin, the end of which swung to the side.

SSOWorld

Quote from: texaskdog on January 01, 2020, 09:07:37 PM
People who say "real quick"
Retail workers on the floor often seem unexcited to be there since I hear them ask me "are/did you find(ing) everything OK?"  The way the question is asked annoys me to no end, but sometimes (if the worker gets it) I'll slip in a sarcastic response about some "problem in Aisle 6".

Also ending sentences with "today".
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 02, 2020, 05:16:23 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 01, 2020, 09:07:37 PM
People who say "real quick"
Retail workers on the floor often seem unexcited to be there since I hear them ask me "are/did you find(ing) everything OK?"  The way the question is asked annoys me to no end, but sometimes (if the worker gets it) I'll slip in a sarcastic response about some "problem in Aisle 6".

Also ending sentences with "today".

Minor things that bother employees: When they're simply trying to do what management requires them to do, and customers give them sarcastic responses.  They simply want to get thru their day just like anyone else.

roadman

Quote from: GaryV on January 01, 2020, 01:21:32 PM
Quote from: qguy on January 01, 2020, 10:28:28 AMTurns out, behind-the-plate filler tubes only work really well with large vehicles that can afford to sacrifice some trunk space.

And don't work well at all in rear end collisions.

Which is why they are no longer used on newer vehicles.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

J N Winkler

Aside from my first car, a 1978 Chevy Impala that had the fuel filler behind the license plate, I don't think I have ever owned a car that didn't have the gas cap on the driver's side.  These are my refueling-related minor annoyances:

*  Gas caps that are tethered to the filler neck with no convenient resting place (the 2005 Camry has a holder clip inside the fuel filler door, which does not work well; the 2009 Fit just allows the cap to dangle below the door, where it will gall the paint if there is any wind)

*  Fuel pumps (in my experience, nearly all of them) that won't ask you if you want a receipt before they unlock for dispensing, so that once you finish fueling and put the nozzle back on the rack, you have to leave your tank open to the atmosphere until the "Receipt?  Yes/No" prompt displays

*  Fuel pumps with displays that are hard to read under conditions of extreme glare (I typically take cellphone photos of the readouts immediately after I finish pumping gas--I've encountered several pumps that wouldn't take legible pictures no matter what)

*  Pump islands that are not kept well-stocked with windshield-washing liquid and squeegees in good condition, when I am on a summer roadtrip that results in a heavy accumulation of bug splatter on my windshield

When a gas station is busy, I try to move the car after refueling and before I attend to any other business, even if this means multiple long walks carrying a squeegee to clean the windshield once I have reversed into a parking space adjacent to the C-store.  Depending on the apron layout, I often seek out a space next to the trash enclosure, to maximize my chances of being left undisturbed.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

The lack of resting place for the fuel cap is a problem I have with my current Impreza.  I found a place I can kind of wedge it gently so it isn't flying all over and scratching the paint.  My Challenger has a really handy rest of the fuel cap tether that keeps it in place easily, my Camaro had the same thing. 

GaryV

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 02, 2020, 12:11:49 PM
Fuel pumps (in my experience, nearly all of them) that won't ask you if you want a receipt before they unlock for dispensing, so that once you finish fueling and put the nozzle back on the rack, you have to leave your tank open to the atmosphere until the "Receipt?  Yes/No" prompt displays

Is there some reason you need to complete the transaction on the pump before you fasten the gas cap?

In general, for gas pumps, ATMs, ...   Showing a "Processing ..." for the sole purpose of slowing you down so you can read the ad that is up on the screen.

roadman

Quote from: GaryV on January 02, 2020, 12:38:42 PM
In general, for gas pumps, ATMs, ...   Showing a "Processing ..." for the sole purpose of slowing you down so you can read the ad that is up on the screen.

Most gas pumps in our area now have "Gas TV", which is a series of short videos of infomercials and/or dumb trivia.  Very annoying.  Plus, I'm not sure that distracting someone who is pumping gas with this nonsense is a good idea.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Quote from: roadman on January 02, 2020, 12:53:02 PM

Most gas pumps in our area now have "Gas TV", which is a series of short videos of infomercials and/or dumb trivia.  Very annoying.  Plus, I'm not sure that distracting someone who is pumping gas with this nonsense is a good idea.
The local Speedway had an annoying version of it that you couldn't understand.  Then, they replaced their pumps with a louder version that was more annoying, especially because all of the pumps are slightly out of sync (think really bad reverb or echo).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

DaBigE

Quote from: roadman on January 02, 2020, 12:53:02 PM

I hate the newer pumps in my area that include those (you found one of my only gripes about Kwik Trip stations). I now always look for the 'Mute' button before taking the nozzle out of the pump.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2020, 12:26:17 PM
The lack of resting place for the fuel cap is a problem I have with my current Impreza.  I found a place I can kind of wedge it gently so it isn't flying all over and scratching the paint.  My Challenger has a really handy rest of the fuel cap tether that keeps it in place easily, my Camaro had the same thing. 

I haven't had to deal with that issue for almost 10 years now, but I remember the annoyance. My last car and our current two cars have capless fuel fillers.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Beltway

*  Fuel pumps (in my experience, nearly all of them) that won't ask you if you want a receipt before they unlock for dispensing, so that once you finish fueling and put the nozzle back on the rack, you have to leave your tank open to the atmosphere until the "Receipt?  Yes/No" prompt displays
I don't mind leaving it open for another half minute or so, but you do need to be quick to hit 'yes' before the option goes away.

What is irritating is when no receipt is delivered, so you have to go into the store and compete with others in line to be able to get a receipt in a timely fashion.

*  Fuel pumps with displays that are hard to read under conditions of extreme glare (I typically take cellphone photos of the readouts immediately after I finish pumping gas--I've encountered several pumps that wouldn't take legible pictures no matter what)
That, and ATMs that are exposed to extreme glare conditions at times.

*  Pump islands that are not kept well-stocked with windshield-washing liquid and squeegees in good condition, when I am on a summer roadtrip that results in a heavy accumulation of bug splatter on my windshield
A major fuel station gripe. 

I always do a full fillup, and at any station anywhere, I expect to be able to clean my windows with their items, and at least the windshield needs it every time.  You can't do that when 1) there is no windshield-washing liquid, or 2) the squeegee does not track well due to wear, 3) or the sponge is worn out, or 4) the sponge stinks bad enough to provoke a gag reflex.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: Beltway on January 02, 2020, 01:18:35 PM
A major fuel station gripe. 

I always do a full fillup, and at any station anywhere, I expect to be able to clean my windows with their items, and at least the windshield needs it every time.  You can't do that when 1) there is no windshield-washing liquid, or 2) the squeegee does not track well due to wear, 3) or the sponge is worn out, or 4) the sponge stinks bad enough to provoke a gag reflex.
Same.  I wouldn't say that I need to clean the windshield every time, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more often than not, especially on a roadtrip.  Another annoyance with them would be stations that just mix soap and water instead of using real windshield washer fluid.  I've noticed that how well maintained the windshield washing items are tends to be correlated with how nice of a convenience store that gas station has - if it has a nice store, it probably has decent washer fluid and squeegee, but if it's grungy, the squeegee probably hasn't been replaced in ages and won't work.

Locally, Stewarts, Fastrac, Delta Sonic, and Tops are my preferred gas stations around upstate NY.  I think my Dad thinks I'm crazy for being particular, but your random Mobile or Speedway probably won't have anything good for windshield cleaning.  Meanwhile, Dad will just go to the BJs in Henrietta because they're the cheapest location in the area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

Quote from: GaryV on January 02, 2020, 12:38:42 PMIs there some reason you need to complete the transaction on the pump before you fasten the gas cap?

As Beltway notes, the "Receipt?  Yes/No" prompt disappears pretty quickly, and I generally find it is displayed immediately after I put the nozzle back in the holder (I suspect there is a sensor that signals the nozzle has been put back).  Waiting for the prompt with the tank uncapped is thus the only foolproof way not to miss it, even though I would rather put the cap back on right after I park the nozzle.  This is why I would prefer to be asked about the receipt before I start dispensing gas.

Quote from: Beltway on January 02, 2020, 01:18:35 PMWhat is irritating is when no receipt is delivered, so you have to go into the store and compete with others in line to be able to get a receipt in a timely fashion.

That is a total nonstarter for me--once I go in, I have to think in terms of specifying the pump by number (not always easy to find), and sometimes the transaction they fish up is not the one I just completed.  It might be different if I used receipts to document fuel purchases for direct cash reimbursement, but the cellphone photo of the pump readouts at least ensures I have a timestamped record no matter what.

Quote from: Beltway on January 02, 2020, 01:18:35 PMI always do a full fillup, and at any station anywhere, I expect to be able to clean my windows with their items, and at least the windshield needs it every time.  You can't do that when 1) there is no windshield-washing liquid, or 2) the squeegee does not track well due to wear, 3) or the sponge is worn out, or 4) the sponge stinks bad enough to provoke a gag reflex.

I totally agree.  I haven't encountered stinky sponges myself, but I have found a few that were so desiccated and shrunken I would be rubbing the frame against my windshield, and often the perforated fabric cover is so badly torn it can no longer provide effective mechanical scrubbing action.

In line with Vdeane's experience, from time to time I encounter stations where the sponge baths are kept well-stocked with liquid, but it is almost pure plain water instead of detergent.  The cleaning power is significantly less.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.