News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic Signals with Yellow Reflective Borders in Texas

Started by Brian556, November 21, 2020, 09:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Spotted the first traffic signal with yellow reflective borders I've ever seen in Texas. This signal is at the intersection of US 377 & Canyon Falls Dr in Flower Mound (Just south of Argyle). The Town of Flower Mound was responsible for the installation of this signal. Another thing interesting about this signal is that the poles on the east side of the intersection are behind the fences, because US 377 is scheduled for widening in the next several years.

Texas is way behind other states on the yellow reflective borders. They are widespread in Louisiana and Florida has a decent number.

11.20.2020.CanyonFalls by Brian Kosich, on Flickr
And yeah, that's one of the dirtiest Camrys I've ever seen. Its actually Maroon.

-- US 175 --

A few yellow borders have popped up around Dallas, and at least 1 or 2 of the other suburbs.  They were good for a couple of double-takes from me early on, but the more I've seen them since, the more I get used to them and like them.

US 89

Why is the flashing yellow arrow a 5-section signal? Would be curious to know how that works.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

They've made their way to NWA, but ArDOT District 4 hasn't made any upgrades to any river valley area intersections.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

motorola870

Quote from: US 89 on November 22, 2020, 01:19:11 AM
Why is the flashing yellow arrow a 5-section signal? Would be curious to know how that works.

There are two red arrows on the signal assembly it is in a Red-Red-Yellow-Flasing Yellow-Green configuration. I have seen both setups used the standard 4 segment and 5 segment installations even in the same city there is even a variation with two red arrows that omits the green arrow and only has a flashing yellow left.

motorola870

Yet in nearby Arlington Texas the city is converting to black powder coated signal assemblies and the visors are black as well in new assemblies and a few retro fits replacing old signal assemblies. I have seen the yellow reflective visors only in a few areas on the PGBT in grand prairie on the service roads and Garland Texas from what I have personally seen.

US 89

Quote from: motorola870 on November 22, 2020, 10:16:07 AM

There are two red arrows on the signal assembly it is in a Red-Red-Yellow-Flasing Yellow-Green configuration. I have seen both setups used the standard 4 segment and 5 segment installations even in the same city there is even a variation with two red arrows that omits the green arrow and only has a flashing yellow left.

Oh it just has a double red. Weird.

motorola870

Quote from: US 89 on November 22, 2020, 11:24:38 AM
Quote from: motorola870 on November 22, 2020, 10:16:07 AM

Oh it just has a double red. Weird.
Quite normal in Texas usually the double red is used on protected left on green arrow only assemblies in various parts of the state.

kphoger

Yep, double red is not "weird" but rather "quite normal" in Texas.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2020, 04:18:10 PM
Yep, double red is not "weird" but rather "quite normal" in Texas.

I am aware, seen it in several states including in GA...but I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen a double red on a FYA, and I don't think I've ever seen any horizontal FYAs with a double red.

kphoger

Ah, yes.  I remember spending a long time on GSV recently trying to find an FYA with double red in Texas in response to a different thread here.  I'm not sure I ever located one.

The ones I'm personally familiar with all have a single red arrow, such as this one–while "normal" left-turn signals in the same town have the double red, such as this one.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

I-35

These are up on any new signals in Oklahoma (near Ardmore anyway) as well, I assumed it was an AASHTO standardization thing.

motorola870

Quote from: I-35 on November 23, 2020, 10:10:43 AM
These are up on any new signals in Oklahoma (near Ardmore anyway) as well, I assumed it was an AASHTO standardization thing.
If it was a standardization would it not be more widespread?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: motorola870 on November 24, 2020, 01:47:25 AM

These things take time. Some agencies are more proactive than others.

motorola870

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 24, 2020, 04:59:07 AM
Quote from: motorola870 on November 24, 2020, 01:47:25 AM

These things take time. Some agencies are more proactive than others.
Honestly it may be just a recommendation at this point not the gold standard. FYLA installations are being adopted due to regulations that changed how to handle the yellow trap and areas are replacing aging left on yield assemblies during routine maintenance. I have seen yield on green assemblies added on TXDOT controlled roads not sure why district 2 installed left turn yield on green with protected arrows at two signals in the upcoming southeast connector project with brand new mast arms as well. Ironically these signals got converted from vertical to horizontal assemblies and the change was done in the last 2 years. When I am seeing FYLA becoming more and more common the majority of signals in Arlington Texas have been converted to FYLA the remaining signals with the left turn yield on green solid ball with protected arrows are usually on side roads or non-major arterial routes.

jakeroot

In regards to the above discussion around five-section flashing yellow arrow signals: I recall seeing quite a lot of these on Google Street View. Most of the links to examples from this forum have been by people asking what they are. In Texas, I may go so far as to say they are at least as common as four-section flashing yellow arrow signals. Maybe even more-so.

Overall, although rare outside of Texas, there are a ton of five-section flashing yellow arrow signals. They're just mostly-exclusive to Texas :-D.

In_Correct

Quote from: Brian556 on November 21, 2020, 09:58:19 PM
Spotted the first traffic signal with yellow reflective borders I've ever seen in Texas. This signal is at the intersection of US 377 & Canyon Falls Dr in Flower Mound (Just south of Argyle). The Town of Flower Mound was responsible for the installation of this signal. Another thing interesting about this signal is that the poles on the east side of the intersection are behind the fences, because US 377 is scheduled for widening in the next several years.

Texas is way behind other states on the yellow reflective borders. They are widespread in Louisiana and Florida has a decent number.

11.20.2020.CanyonFalls by Brian Kosich, on Flickr
And yeah, that's one of the dirtiest Camrys I've ever seen. Its actually Maroon.

About Time.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Scott5114

ODOT has been installing them on all of their signals, and the cities are following suit. Norman actually got out ahead of ODOT on this one.

But it is still an option in the MUTCD and so choosing whether to adopt it is made at the agency level.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

STLmapboy

They're around very occasionally in MO. They've been newly installed on Natural Bridge in STL, but I can't think of others.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Revive 755

Quote from: STLmapboy on November 27, 2020, 11:11:00 PM
They're around very occasionally in MO. They've been newly installed on Natural Bridge in STL, but I can't think of others.

MoDOT has been using them on higher/expressway sections (usually posted at 55) around St. Louis, such as MO 141 south of Fenton (think they have been added since Streetview last went through), MO 30, and MO 94.

In Illinois the usage varies.  The Springfield IDOT District installs them all the time, and it seems the Collinsville District is going the same route.  The other IDOT districts seem to use them on a case by case basis, though I am wondering if the Peoria District is using them everywhere now given how easy they are to find.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.