News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-74/I-80/I-280 interchange (the "bump")

Started by Buummu, May 01, 2011, 01:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buummu

I saw the interchange at Google maps.. I am surprised they "bump" I-74 and I-80 in that interchange with I-280.. I mean, I-74 ends at I-80 in Iowa.. I wonder why don't they just end I-74 in that interchange instead of routing it with i-280?  Plus, it's a cloverleaf? Doesn't they plan to redesign the interchange to make I-80 through traffic instead of "exiting itself"?

Brandon

Planning, but doubtful we'll see it anytime soon.  IDOT tried to get I-74 to continue around the north side of Davenport and I-80 to go south along I-280 with I-174 through RI/Moline and Davenport/Bettendorf.  IADOT, FWHA, and AASHTO balked.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

huskeroadgeek

I've long thought it's one of the oddest interchanges in the country for how the numbering works running through it. Both I-80 EB and I-74 WB require taking a cloverleaf to stay on the road. In fact, because of this-when I am going through the Quad Cities, I decide whether to take I-80 or I-280 based on whether I am coming from or continuing on I-74 or I-80. If I am coming from or continuing on I-80, I take I-280 so I can go straight through at the interchange without taking a ramp-same with taking I-80 if I am coming from or continuing on I-74.  What makes even more somewhat unique is that the I-80 and I-280 routes around the Quad Cities are equal in distance and since both mostly bypass the cities, neither gets significantly more traffic than the other. So it's one of the few situations I know of where neither of two different freeway routes around a metropolitan area have any particular advantage over the other in terms of distance or traffic. In fact, WB I-80 traffic gets a sign directing Des Moines traffic to use either I-80 or I-280.

It seems like I-74 could end at I-80 and the concurrent portion of I-74 with I-280 just be I-280, but then what do you do with the portion of I-74 between I-280 and I-80? It's really more like a 3di with primarily local traffic, but if it were an x80, it would have to be I-880 since I-280, I-480 and I-680 are already in use in Iowa. I doubt it will ever happen since it has been this way for so long, but that area really should be renumbered somehow.

Brandon

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on May 01, 2011, 03:24:56 PM
It seems like I-74 could end at I-80 and the concurrent portion of I-74 with I-280 just be I-280, but then what do you do with the portion of I-74 between I-280 and I-80? It's really more like a 3di with primarily local traffic, but if it were an x80, it would have to be I-880 since I-280, I-480 and I-680 are already in use in Iowa. I doubt it will ever happen since it has been this way for so long, but that area really should be renumbered somehow.

Hence why IDOT wanted I-74 to curve north of the Quads and I-80 to use the current I-280.  IDOT wanted to make the section of I-74 between the two into I-174.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: Brandon on May 01, 2011, 03:59:08 PM
Quote from: huskeroadgeek on May 01, 2011, 03:24:56 PM

Hence why IDOT wanted I-74 to curve north of the Quads and I-80 to use the current I-280.  IDOT wanted to make the section of I-74 between the two into I-174.
Yeah-I saw your post after I made mine. I remembr reading of some proposal with an I-174, but I couldn't remember how it worked.

IDOT made some geometric improvements to the interchange . It is really more annoying for I-80 than 74 hence as Brandon said IDOT wanted the change....but Iowa really did not want to reroute 80 and they raised the bigger stink so they won.

now with Chicago -KC i would offer iowa a better plan -Send 88 instead . It is a better cloverleaf and route it to Iowa city and up 380 to US 20 and connect with 35 to give iowa another 2di. *0 replaces 280 and the strech between 88 and 74 becomes 188 and it runs concurrent with 110 to Monmouth. I like the 1-43 plan in the fictional highways thread as well but this is one that can plaese Iowa and be done,however I doubt it will since IL DOT just does not seem to care anymore

Alps

What's odd is that there are three east-west Interstates and no north-south ones.

Sykotyk

Quote from: 3467 on May 01, 2011, 10:19:16 PM
IDOT made some geometric improvements to the interchange . It is really more annoying for I-80 than 74 hence as Brandon said IDOT wanted the change....but Iowa really did not want to reroute 80 and they raised the bigger stink so they won.

now with Chicago -KC i would offer iowa a better plan -Send 88 instead . It is a better cloverleaf and route it to Iowa city and up 380 to US 20 and connect with 35 to give iowa another 2di. *0 replaces 280 and the strech between 88 and 74 becomes 188 and it runs concurrent with 110 to Monmouth. I like the 1-43 plan in the fictional highways thread as well but this is one that can plaese Iowa and be done,however I doubt it will since IL DOT just does not seem to care anymore

That's halfway decent. I'm generally not in favor of the odd routing I-88 would make and that you would still have a strange US20 freeway east of Waterloo/Cedar Falls.

I've always though I-80 should go along the south and west, I-74 should go east and north. A 3di should go up the middle. I still always think the main route number should follow the most logical route. Same reason I'm in favor of I-270 in MO/IL getting the I-70 designation, turn southwest I-270 into I-255 all the way, and a new 3di for old I-70 from St. Charles to Troy, IL.

Brandon

Quote from: Sykotyk on May 03, 2011, 04:12:43 PM

That's halfway decent. I'm generally not in favor of the odd routing I-88 would make and that you would still have a strange US20 freeway east of Waterloo/Cedar Falls.

I've always though I-80 should go along the south and west, I-74 should go east and north. A 3di should go up the middle. I still always think the main route number should follow the most logical route. Same reason I'm in favor of I-270 in MO/IL getting the I-70 designation, turn southwest I-270 into I-255 all the way, and a new 3di for old I-70 from St. Charles to Troy, IL.

It would only be a new 3di from St. Ann to the Poplar Street Bridge as I-55 takes care of the Illinois side of that.

Buummu

Or I-74 can go through the interchange... then end at I-88 and the I-88 can take over I-80 towards I-280, which will be I-80... easy.. eliminates interstate "exit-itselfs". of course, the interchange at I-88 will have to be rebuilt to make I-88 the thru traffic..

The I-74 one that goes from I-80 to I-280 can be 3di of either x80 or x88.

Sykotyk

Quote from: Brandon on May 03, 2011, 04:23:38 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on May 03, 2011, 04:12:43 PM

It would only be a new 3di from St. Ann to the Poplar Street Bridge as I-55 takes care of the Illinois side of that.

True, had a brain fart there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.