News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 31 --> I-67 ?

Started by wdcrft63, March 15, 2016, 07:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

Quote from: roadfan6500 on February 07, 2018, 09:08:55 PM
US31 is six-lanes between Kern Rd and US20 in South Bend.  Was the Kern interchange built to carry more lanes one day?  This bridge looks to me like it was built to be able to carry more lanes...

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6083667,-86.2578149,3a,62.3y,72.26h,84.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9Zjm8FCTbpxH4yLwcmbzaw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

That's a safe bet. The thinking is that it's less disruptive (and costly) to build a wider bridge if traffic projections indicated a need for a wider road in the relatively near future.

For example, when WisDOT rebuilt bridges on I-39/90 in southern Wisconsin roughly a decade ago, they purposely built them wider in anticipation of future widening to a 6-lane highway. That mostly worked out for them, the exception being in Janesville where they anticipated a 6-lane highway but now are building an 8-lane highway. Even then, the wider bridges allowed them to carry both directions of traffic on the SBD side while they rebuild bridges on the NBD side.

monty

The Kokomo Tribune today describes the newly announced local US31 interchanges. It also mentions that there is a plan to remove the stop light north of the US 24 interchange at 100N / truck stop. Anyone know more about this solution?
monty

2trailertrucker

Quote from: monty on September 07, 2018, 12:52:35 PM
The Kokomo Tribune today describes the newly announced local US31 interchanges. It also mentions that there is a plan to remove the stop light north of the US 24 interchange at 100N / truck stop. Anyone know more about this solution?

Here is the article:

http://www.kokomotribune.com/news/two-new-interchanges-coming-to-u-s-in-miami-co/article_286c9ee8-b21a-11e8-b855-3b881842ce08.html

2trailertrucker

Has anyone heard what the plans are for the railroad tracks south of Plymouth??

hbelkins

So Indiana's going to waste money on a perfectly good expressway that's fine as it is, to eliminate two traffic lights that aren't major slowdowns.

Honestly, people, everything doesn't have to be a full freeway.

If there are accident issues, built a J-turn/Michigan left at a fraction of the cost.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

silverback1065

Quote from: hbelkins on September 08, 2018, 09:10:41 PM
So Indiana's going to waste money on a perfectly good expressway that's fine as it is, to eliminate two traffic lights that aren't major slowdowns.

If there are accident issues, built a J-turn/Michigan left at a fraction of the cost.

INDOT tried Jturns, problem is residents HATE them, like REALLY hate them.  they backed off doing that to the 10 and 110 junctions with 31. 

JREwing78

US-31 at IN-18 has a AADT of ~ 25,000 vpd, with about 4,000 of that traffic heavy trucks. Down toward Carmel, at the pending 236th St. interchange, AADT is ~29,000 vpd with ~5,800 heavy trucks. This is at a traffic level at which other states would have already had a full freeway in place long ago.

The heavy truck traffic doesn't drop off north of US-24, even if total traffic is lower - ~14,000 vpd. The proposed traffic light removal at 100 North is within 1000 feet of a freeway-to-freeway interchange.

I would argue that stoplights have no business whatsoever being on this road. US-31 is the main connection between two large urban areas of the state, as well as one of two major highways connecting the rest of Indiana to Michigan (I-94 functions mainly as a Illinois-to-Michigan connection). Putting in interchanges is, IMHO, not a "waste".

csw

I think it's perfectly reasonable to remove the remaining stoplights, but the Interstate designation is unnecessary.

2trailertrucker

It will be interesting to see how Michigan goes forward with the gap at Benton Harbor.

mvak36

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on September 09, 2018, 01:52:26 PM
It will be interesting to see how Michigan goes forward with the gap at Benton Harbor.

Last I heard anything about it was on this thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18276.0

Not sure when they plan on doing construction on this.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

I-39

Agreed, but they've already wasted a ton of $$$ on I-69, so what's a few hundred million more making US 31 into full interstate standards?  :-/

tdindy88

They are just eliminating two traffic lights right now. There is no talk about eliminating all at-grade crossings. I think we are still a long ways away from a full conversion to a freeway for all of US 31. I'm under the impression that I-67 is not a thing INDOT is taking seriously, but creating an expressway where you can travel from Indy to South Bend without coming to a stop.

monty

The I 67 designation is one that INDOT has zero interest. Neither does the US 31 Coalition. But a common goal for both is a non-stop route from Indy to South Bend. The Coalition continues to advocate the ultimate completion of a highway built to / near interstate highway standards. If you look at all the improvements made over the past ten years, they have been built to fit that standard. Gov Holcomb has committed to his "no stops on 31" slogan.  As one who has often commuted to Indy on this highway, I assure you that the 236th St light is a dangerous one and a traffic choke point. I've seen traffic backed up to SR 38 just trying to clear this stoplight.
monty

silverback1065

are there any plans released for the 236th interchange?  it sounds like that has been in the works for a while unlike the ones just announced. 

Terry Shea

Quote from: mvak36 on September 09, 2018, 04:12:35 PM
Quote from: 2trailertrucker on September 09, 2018, 01:52:26 PM

Last I heard anything about it was on this thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18276.0

Not sure when they plan on doing construction on this.

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 26, 2018, 11:28:46 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 18, 2018, 03:07:25 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 14, 2018, 06:42:33 PM
Will they at least complete the US 31 freeway between Napier Avenue and Interstate 94 within the next 50 years?

Define "complete."  Most recent plan (unfunded and unscheduled) is to extend the freeway and turn it west to intersect with I-94 and Business I-94 (exit 33) at a new cloverleaf interchange, with C/D lanes between there and I-196/US-31 (exit 34).

I stand corrected.  In MDOT's current five-year plan 2018-2022, this appears to be scheduled for construction in 2021.  I missed it when looking earlier.

From Michigan Notes.

tdindy88

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 09, 2018, 10:12:03 PM
are there any plans released for the 236th interchange?  it sounds like that has been in the works for a while unlike the ones just announced. 

I don't know if there are any plans out there on what the interchange would look like but I'd pay good, good money that it will be a roundabout style interchange. Anything else would be a complete surprise.

silverback1065

if they are upgrading the 236th signal to an interchange, what happens with 216th and 226th st? will they remain at grade for the foreseeable future?

2trailertrucker

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 09, 2018, 06:54:56 PM
They are just eliminating two traffic lights right now. There is no talk about eliminating all at-grade crossings. I think we are still a long ways away from a full conversion to a freeway for all of US 31. I'm under the impression that I-67 is not a thing INDOT is taking seriously, but creating an expressway where you can travel from Indy to South Bend without coming to a stop.

When INDOT was finished with the construction, I sent a tweet to INDOT stating that a "Prepare to Stop"  warning for that light, since it is at the bottom of a hill and could not be seen.
INDOT boo hooed it, but put up "Expressway Ends"  signs instead.

monty

The current US 31 resurfacing project is nearing completion. I noticed that the project did not include new pavement where the proposed bridge over the NSRR is to be built. Anyone know when this bridge project is to start?
monty

abqtraveler

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on September 11, 2018, 05:46:37 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on September 09, 2018, 06:54:56 PM

When INDOT was finished with the construction, I sent a tweet to INDOT stating that a “Prepare to Stop” warning for that light, since it is at the bottom of a hill and could not be seen.
INDOT boo hooed it, but put up “Expressway Ends” signs instead.

US-31 between Indy and South Bend won't be an interstate any time soon.  The projects INDOT is talking about will enable non-stop travel along the corridor, similar to US-101 between Los Angeles and San Francisco (still has at-grade intersections and driveways in certain places, but thru-travel along this section is non-stop). 
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

sparker

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 18, 2018, 12:10:47 PM
US-31 between Indy and South Bend won't be an interstate any time soon.  The projects INDOT is talking about will enable non-stop travel along the corridor, similar to US-101 between Los Angeles and San Francisco (still has at-grade intersections and driveways in certain places, but thru-travel alogn this section is non-stop). 

As a general rule of thumb -- state DOT's, with the exception of NC, have little interest on their own in pursuing Interstate designations for their corridors; these days, most have too much on their plates to add a series of multi-million (or in some cases, multi-billion!) dollar projects (which corridors invariably require) to the mix.  Such designations are pursued by regional political interests either to draw attention to the area -- as a PR move to hopefully draw investment dollars into the area with a new Interstate corridor serving as the "centerpiece", or in a situation loosely characterized as "reparations" for not being previously served by the network.  But usually one of the ingredients for actual success in designating a new Interstate has been the presence of a sizeable metro area along the corridor's length to serve as an additional attractant to such investment -- a location for potential personnel to live, shop, and recreate.   I-49 has NWA and Texarkana, I-22 had Tupelo and its brand-new Toyota plant, and 2/3 of I-69 has the lower Rio Grande Valley.  US 31 has Kokomo, already bypassed but not considered a business attractant (too far from major rail corridors) -- and that's about all; South Bend/Elkhart is already sitting along I-80/90 and probably is relatively indifferent about a Indy connection.  If the "US 31 Coalition" wanted to elevate their route to I-67, that designation would be a part of their name.  There just isn't a grass-roots movement to do so the equivalent of the I-14 backers in TX, who at least have a string of cities backing their efforts.  There's really nobody to promote an Interstate upgrade; MI, despite having almost all of their potential corridor portion completed, is equally indifferent.  DOT's -- even in TX -- won't even consider a move without a constant and consistent stream of outside support; this hasn't occurred yet in IN -- quite possibly because there isn't an identified "center" that would potentially reap outsized benefits from development of a new Interstate corridor.  Not that it will never happen -- but right now it just isn't in the cards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.