News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

One reader's idea of how to make money...

Started by SSOWorld, June 05, 2009, 12:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/opinion/readersviews/453740

4th item in on the page.

QuoteEnforce speed limit, make lots of money

I recently drove to Madison, and during the entire time I never saw a single state trooper on the interstate. I always drive the speed limit and am never in a hurry. But at 65 mph I am alone.

Gov. Jim Doyle has his hands full, cutting this, taxing that, yet drivers on the interstate fly by at high speeds. Near the Interstate 94-90-39 interchange, a vehicle went by me so fast I thought it was a small jet. This presents an opportunity to generate massive amounts of money for the state.

Get officers back on the highways and ticket anyone traveling faster than the posted limit. Assuming the average ticket price is $300, a mere 10 tickets a day generates $3,000 a day, $21,000 a week, and so on. I would rather see our state generate money this way than making the musicians on State Street pay an annual fee for their performances, or raising the bus fares.

-- Robin Nelson, Hillsboro

Well, blow me down - if she's going the speed limit, she's the one posing the danger - lets get all the cops out there, wasting money on salaries and causing a ruckus because they pull over 100,000 vehicles and causing jams. :banghead: :pan:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

agentsteel53

if you're going to do that, increase the speed limit to something sensible like 85.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

They did that in the Netherlands... very low speed limits and enforced by lots and lots of speed cameras. The time is really gone that a policeman would pull you over and fine you. I mean, 35 - 40 mph on rural country roads, what's up with that? Or 30 mph on 4-lane divided urban roads... that's what I call a fall-asleep speed limit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.