News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Findlay, OH to the Trenton, NJ area

Started by A.J. Bertin, May 27, 2014, 11:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

I'm really looking forward to the road meet that Steve Alpert is hosting at the end of June. I'm taking Thursday, Friday, and Monday off from work to go. Wednesday night I'm planning to drive down to Findlay, Ohio, and then Thursday I'll be driving from Findlay to the area around Trneton, New Jersey.

My tentative plan for Thursday is to take eastbound U.S. 224 across Ohio and then U.S. 422 in Pennsylvania (probably to U.S. 22 then I-99/U.S. 220 south to I-70/76). Then I'll take the Pennsylvania Turnpike east to the northern suburbs of Philadelphia and eventually to my destination in New Jersey.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any insights about U.S. 224 and U.S. 422. Are they heavily trafficked? Nice drives?
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Been a long time but US 422 is not a bad route with by-passes around the bigger towns like Butler, Kittaning and Indiana, I would say it is a 50/50 split between 4 lane and 2 lane road. US 22 near Horseshoe Curve and Altoona is a very scenic route with a 6 mile long down grade, Jeff Kitsko may have more insight on this since it has been since the late 90's\ 2000 when I drove this route. My planned route is I am leaving Thursday morning from middle TN and driving to Harrisburg or York to crash for the night with family, then Friday morning visit some family\ friends before I run 222 from Lancaster to I-78 east to I-287 to my hotel and hang with eveyone :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

Haven't done them yet.  My plan is to two-stage I-79 between Erie and Pittsburgh.  I-80 to the Turnpike on the way there. and take US-30 from the turnpike (already have it to the west), US-19 and I-78 there.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Zeffy

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 27, 2014, 11:59:30 AM
I'm really looking forward to the road meet that Steve Alpert is hosting at the end of June. I'm taking Thursday, Friday, and Monday off from work to go. Wednesday night I'm planning to drive down to Toledo, and then Thursday I'll be driving from Toledo to someplace southwest of Edison, New Jersey.

Do you know where exactly you're staying? SW of Edison sounds like either New Brunswick, Somerset, or Franklin Township. Also, US 422 looks like it passes through some decently rural areas of Pennsylvania (haven not driven either I cannot tell you what it is). If it's anywhere near New Brunswick, NJ 18 is an option, but that route is decently traveled on the weekdays.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Zeffy on May 27, 2014, 11:44:52 PM
Do you know where exactly you're staying? SW of Edison sounds like either New Brunswick, Somerset, or Franklin Township.

Thursday night I'll be staying somewhere around Princeton.
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

I think I've got my plan. Is there anyone who lives near U.S. 224 in Ohio or U.S. 422/22 in western PA that knows of any construction or other slowdowns I should be aware of? I'm getting ready to do this drive next Thursday, June 26.
-A.J. from Michigan

thenetwork

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on June 16, 2014, 11:03:29 PM
I think I've got my plan. Is there anyone who lives near U.S. 224 in Ohio or U.S. 422/22 in western PA that knows of any construction or other slowdowns I should be aware of? I'm getting ready to do this drive next Thursday, June 26.

I can't tell you about current construction, but I can tell you that US-224 is a route used a lot by trucks.  Moreso east of US-250.

Once you get to Lodi, you've got 4-lane divided all the way to just east of Akron. It is also in Lodi that you have the option to follow the Old US-224 alignment:

- SR-421 east to SR-83
- SR 83 south to Greenwich Road
- Greenwich Road east to Wooster Road (Old SR-5)
- Wooster Road northeast to Waterloo Road

Waterloo Road merges into the current alignment of US-224 east of I-77/Arlington Avenue, then separates from US-224 east of SR-91.

The current US-224 alignment bypasses Lodi and a handful of cities west of Akron.  If you had to choose one section of the old route, take SR-421 all the way through Lodi (it ends back at US-224 north of town), there is a really cool railroad stone-arched viaduct just west of Lodi that is worth the trip thru town.

A.J. Bertin

I took this drive on Thursday, June 26 on my way to the NY/NJ road meet. It was a nice drive but I didn't quite do what I'd originally planned.

I enjoyed trekking across Ohio on U.S. 224. The expressway bypass around Lodi was pretty neat, but probably the most frustrating section of the drive was the southern side of Youngstown with all the big-box stores, commercial traffic, and lights. It was 10 a.m. by the time I crossed into Pennsylvania and I was aiming to be in Princeton NJ by 5 p.m. Instead of taking U.S. 422 to U.S. 22 to I-99, I just hopped on I-376 from U.S. 224 and took that to the PA Turnpike... took the PA Turnpike all the way across to New Jersey. Prior to this trip, I had never been on the PA Turnpike east of Breezewood. That was nice, but I was driving significantly faster than I usually drive. Fortunately I made it to Princeton by about 4:45 p.m. :)

I do have one observation: I found it a little silly that a couple of the BGS's eastbound on the Turnpike near Harrisburg said "State Capital" on them. They said "Harrisburg State Capital". I could understand if the Turnpike Authority wanted to tell us where the Capitol (building) is, but for them to educate motorists that Harrisburg is the state capital is kinda silly in my opinion. If they are going to say "Harrisburg State Capital" they should at least put "State Capital" in parantheses. LOL
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 04, 2014, 10:16:45 AM
I do have one observation: I found it a little silly that a couple of the BGS's eastbound on the Turnpike near Harrisburg said "State Capital" on them. They said "Harrisburg State Capital". I could understand if the Turnpike Authority wanted to tell us where the Capitol (building) is, but for them to educate motorists that Harrisburg is the state capital is kinda silly in my opinion. If they are going to say "Harrisburg State Capital" they should at least put "State Capital" in parantheses. LOL
You're right. This is silly.

thenetwork

For the way that sign is displayed, I would view that sign as a spelling error, thinking they meant to say "Harrisburg State Capitol", as in the building itself.  Otherwise, I would think the better way to display it as written would be:

Harrisburg
STATE CAPITAL
NEXT 2 EXITS

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.