News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most iconic feature of each state

Started by Flint1979, April 11, 2020, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2020, 12:36:12 AM
I'm a little amused that my joke suggestion of the Craig County sign was ruled as being too obscure, but then, nobody else could come up with anything more iconic.

Here's a suggestion of a road feature that is more likely to be recognized by the general public:

In before a Tulsan complains that it doesn't represent the rest of the state.

Pardon me, as someone who has not been to OK, what is that?

Ben114

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 17, 2020, 08:48:26 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 19, 2020, 10:43:50 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 19, 2020, 10:35:01 AM
Been to Fenway Park three times. I HATE the Red Sox. Went up the Mohawk Trail (MA Route 2) in 1990. Still remember the hairpin turn!
Yankees fan?

Yep! Also been to AA and AAA Yankees games a few times in Trenton, NJ and Moosic, PA (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre), respectively. I highly doubt I'll see McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket, RI ever again. I've been to Hadlock Field (AA Boston) in Portland, ME four times.

They move out of Pawtucket next year, low chance of anyone seeing it again due to the virus.

ftballfan

Quote from: Ben114 on May 18, 2020, 09:01:34 AM
Been to Fenway Park three times. I HATE the Red Sox. Went up the Mohawk Trail (MA Route 2) in 1990. Still remember the hairpin turn!
Yankees fan?

Yep! Also been to AA and AAA Yankees games a few times in Trenton, NJ and Moosic, PA (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre), respectively. I highly doubt I'll see McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket, RI ever again. I've been to Hadlock Field (AA Boston) in Portland, ME four times.

They move out of Pawtucket next year, low chance of anyone seeing it again due to the virus.
Considering the construction halt on their new park in Worcester (and not knowing how far along they were), I won't be surprised if part of their 2021 season is played in Pawtucket

mgk920

Quote from: mrsman on May 18, 2020, 08:21:07 AM
I'm a little amused that my joke suggestion of the Craig County sign was ruled as being too obscure, but then, nobody else could come up with anything more iconic.

Here's a suggestion of a road feature that is more likely to be recognized by the general public:

That's the Scissortail Bridge on the I-40 downtown Oklahoma City, OK bypass/reroute.

https://goo.gl/maps/nGn8dsBRBxZ5JQ757

Mike

GaryV

^ So they built a fancy pedestrian bridge from a sidewalk in a dirt lot to a dirt lot?  Whatever for?

kphoger

Quote from: mrsman on May 18, 2020, 08:21:07 AM

What it looks like, if you ask me, is that God was playing jacks, and one of them fell off the table onto I-40.  Fortunately, because he's God and all, it managed to straddle the highway and no one got hurt.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

allniter89

:hmmm: Most iconic feature of Delaware?
Delaware is the 1st state to ratify the constitution on December 7, 1787. Dover (the capital) was established by Wm Penn in 1683. "The Green" is a large historical area downtown where many  Government buildings can be toured. Legislative Hall, State Capital Bldg & the Old State House to name a few.
Other possible iconic features could be Dover Downs host 2 NASCAR races as well as other car races or the Delaware Memorial Bridge?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Scott5114

Quote from: GaryV on May 18, 2020, 01:18:30 PM
^ So they built a fancy pedestrian bridge from a sidewalk in a dirt lot to a dirt lot?  Whatever for?

The "dirt lots" you're looking at have since become Scissortail Park, the north half of which opened in late 2019. This may not show on Google Maps yet. You'd think they'd want to have updated imagery of a huge public works project/traffic generator, but Google doesn't give the slightest shit about Oklahomans.

Scissortail Park is meant to be OKC's signature park, much like Central Park in NYC. It features block upon block of parkland, and contains an amphitheater for live music (shame that it had to open right before 2020). Accompanying it is a new convention center across the street to the east.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

Yankees fan?

I hate the Red Sox too. I'm a fan of the other Sox team though, the White Sox.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 19, 2020, 11:07:05 AM
Yankees fan?

I kind of agree Fenway is pretty up there for Massachusetts.  My wife and I have been to a couple games out there, for her it was the primary attraction in Boston.
I've been to Fenway once. It was in 2004 they were playing Oakland. I had just got into Boston that same day and already had tickets to the Red Sox game. I didn't care who won or anything so I pulled for Boston since I was at Fenway and the team they were playing was a west coast team I didn't care about. I go to get into the ballpark and the tickets we had were for the game the next night and I had already made plans to leave Boston and go to Yankee Stadium the next day as the Tigers were playing the Yankees there so I somehow was able to exchange the tickets with a broker for tickets to that nights game and got to go to the Boston game.

I took the tour of the ballpark since I was there extremely early and thought it was neat. We got to sit up in the 401 Club and watch the Red Sox take batting practice. As we were touring the park we were on the first base side watching the Boston players enter the park and I spotted Manny Ramirez and shouted down to him, he looked up and gave me a thumbs up. It was a pretty good experience until the next day when I toured Yankee Stadium and fell in love with the old stadium in the Bronx. Some thing about approaching that place on the 4 train sent chills up my spine. I was pretty sad when that park got replaced I loved me some old Yankee Stadium.

Of course Tiger Stadium is a place where I have a lot of memories as well and when I got to go to old Comiskey Park during it's last season as a 11 year old kid was pretty cool too. I was already a White Sox fan at that point, I liked Harold Baines for some reason then fell in love with Frank Thomas so I've remained a White Sox fan rather than a Tigers fan.

roadman65

Does anyone know what that large monstrosity is at DFW Airport in the State of Texas?

I am guessing it's aesthetics and a form of modern art, but has no real function other than its presence of being there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.