News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What Vehicle is more entitled on the Road

Started by Tonytone, October 25, 2018, 02:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 26, 2018, 03:41:52 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 26, 2018, 02:31:34 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 26, 2018, 02:25:42 PM
The most people that drive ATVs thru the cities would be Minority's like myself, because we don't have any farm land to ride on otherwise, we wouldn't be in the city.

Plenty of people own ATVs but no farmland.  They just plop the ATV on a trailer whenever they want to go on an excursion and tow it behind their car.  But what if that car is at the mechanic, or your spouse took it to work, or whatever...  It would be a useful vehicle to go drop something off at the post office or grab a couple of groceries you forgot over the week-end.  I see people in Mexico drive around town on ATVs probably every time I'm down there.
I think a bicycle or a Vespa or something that was designed to be driven on paved city streets would be even more useful, but point taken, any of these would be better than a car.

In my admittedly uneducated estimation, an ATV sure seems safer than a moped around town.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 26, 2018, 03:57:57 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 26, 2018, 03:41:52 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 26, 2018, 02:31:34 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 26, 2018, 02:25:42 PM
The most people that drive ATVs thru the cities would be Minority's like myself, because we don't have any farm land to ride on otherwise, we wouldn't be in the city.

Plenty of people own ATVs but no farmland.  They just plop the ATV on a trailer whenever they want to go on an excursion and tow it behind their car.  But what if that car is at the mechanic, or your spouse took it to work, or whatever...  It would be a useful vehicle to go drop something off at the post office or grab a couple of groceries you forgot over the week-end.  I see people in Mexico drive around town on ATVs probably every time I'm down there.
I think a bicycle or a Vespa or something that was designed to be driven on paved city streets would be even more useful, but point taken, any of these would be better than a car.

In my admittedly uneducated estimation, an ATV sure seems safer than a moped around town.
In mine, (a) it seems inefficient to drive an ATV on paved roads and (b) a moped or bicycle seem nimbler than an ATV.

cjk374

ATVs are not allowed on the roads here unless the have blinkers, brake- & headlights, seatbelts or helmets as is deemed appropriate, & is licensed with a tag/sticker plate.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

abefroman329

I really assumed ATVs were primarily driven on private land or rights-of-way or, at most, a public beach.

Sykotyk

Not one person brought up golf carts?

They're legal, and plated, on Kelleys Island in Ohio.

Rented one on my trip there years ago to drive around the island. Cheaper than taking your car as the per-day rental is cheap, and walking into the ferry so much faster than waiting to get your car on.

abefroman329

I try to stay away from places where golf carts are the primary mode of transit.

sparker

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 13, 2018, 09:04:12 AM
I try to stay away from places where golf carts are the primary mode of transit.

Then you'll want to avoid a whole swath of FL from Ft. Lauderdale up the Turnpike to past Orlando.  Cart Central!

formulanone

Quote from: sparker on December 13, 2018, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 13, 2018, 09:04:12 AM

Then you'll want to avoid a whole swath of FL from Ft. Lauderdale up the Turnpike to past Orlando.  Cart Central!

There's a few residential communities where there's golf carts – usually gated communities and places with minimal motorized traffic  – but they are rarely found mixing with traffic outside those places. I think golf carts are typically at the bottom of the vehicular and pedestrian hierarchy.

There's a few isolated communities such as The Villages in which there's loads of carts, and are exceptions. Doubtful you'll find one legally tooling around on US 27, though.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
I was actually referring to the plethora of planned communities that dot the corridor; in a couple Orlando-area ones I visited a while back visiting family friends, folks (usually retired) used their golf carts to go shopping on a regular basis; the local supermarket (IIRC a Kroger's) had an area by the front entrance set aside & marked off specifically for the small vehicles. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.