News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on March 02, 2012, 06:12:07 PM
What the hell kind of "news" sources do you always find?

The News & Observer, Raleigh, N.C.  More to the point, a blog belonging to said newspaper site called Under the Dome.

QuoteIn the same quotes, it says that Ellmers reportedly opposes tolls, but is directly quoted in writing as saying that paying through a highway tax could be devastating. Sounds to me like she SUPPORTS the tolls.

I interpret that to say that she does not want her constituents to pay any more in taxes or tolls to fund improvements to I-95.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

brownpelican

Slightly off-topic:

How come the state hasn't looked at widening I-77 to eight lanes from the Belk Freeway to the state line to match S.C.'s eight-laner? Traffic's flowing that good?

architect77

I say just build 2 toll booths at the VA line and the SC line. Charge $5 at each one and just use that money to start building. Another mid-state toll could be added 10 years down the road. Yankees travelling to and from Florida don't go out of their way to avoid tolls. They're used to them. And NC locals wouldn't have anything to b*tch about either.

74/171FAN

Quote from: brownpelican on March 08, 2012, 04:47:54 PM
Slightly off-topic:

How come the state hasn't looked at widening I-77 to eight lanes from the Belk Freeway to the state line to match S.C.'s eight-laner? Traffic's flowing that good?
Personally I think the widening from I-485 north of Charlotte to at least Mooresville should be a higher priority considering that it is still only 4 lanes with high traffic levels on the weekends.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

OracleUsr

I'd love to hear the reaction from the lakefront people in Cornelius on widening the bridge near Davidson
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

cpzilliacus

Quote from: architect77 on March 15, 2012, 10:05:15 PM
I say just build 2 toll booths at the VA line and the SC line. Charge $5 at each one and just use that money to start building. Another mid-state toll could be added 10 years down the road. Yankees travelling to and from Florida don't go out of their way to avoid tolls. They're used to them. And NC locals wouldn't have anything to b*tch about either.

Delaware Turnpike-style tolling is fine in Delaware, since that section of I-95 was built without  federal funding, and the federal government has no say-so about tolling (including location of toll points).   

I don't think the USDOT or its FHWA are going to permit that anywhere on the currently "free" Interstate system if federal dollars were used for construction or repair and rehabilitation.   
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Is there any particular reason the federal government wouldn't allow NC to toll I-95 in that manner, if I-95 is approved for tolling?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on March 18, 2012, 09:14:58 PM
Is there any particular reason the federal government wouldn't allow NC to toll I-95 in that manner, if I-95 is approved for tolling?
I agree, I don't understand CP's point.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on March 18, 2012, 09:14:58 PM

I suspect (but cannot prove) that the FHWA will not allow a state to impose tolls only on traffic crossing a state boundary as part of the Interstate System Reconstruction & Rehabilitation Pilot Program, for practical reasons (a single tolling point is likely to cause shunpiking) and for reasons of equity (states should not be allowed to discriminate against interstate travel).

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 20, 2012, 08:10:58 AM
I suspect (but cannot prove) that the FHWA will not allow a state to impose tolls only on traffic crossing a state boundary as part of the Interstate System Reconstruction & Rehabilitation Pilot Program, for practical reasons (a single tolling point is likely to cause shunpiking) and for reasons of equity (states should not be allowed to discriminate against interstate travel).

On its face, that may be true, but in practical application, most of the interstates that the states are pushing for this program carry a higher-than-normal percentage of true interstate (or out-of-state) traffic.

I-80 connects nothing of real significance in Pennsylvania, but it's a major route from the Midwest to NYC.

I-95 connects nothing of real significance in North Carolina, but it's a major route from Florida to the Northeast.

A toll collection point near the state line would just be a much more obvious symbol of what those states are really trying to do; which is collect tolls from out-of-state motorists who are just passing through.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2012, 09:49:02 AM
On its face, that may be true, but in practical application, most of the interstates that the states are pushing for this program carry a higher-than-normal percentage of true interstate (or out-of-state) traffic.

I-80 connects nothing of real significance in Pennsylvania, but it's a major route from the Midwest to NYC.

I-95 connects nothing of real significance in North Carolina, but it's a major route from Florida to the Northeast.

I would think that folks in Williamsport, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Raleigh, Rocky Mount, Fayetteville, and Wilmington would disagree!

Raleigh and Wilmington are not directly on I-95, but I-95 provides a major access for those cities, in the case of Raleigh a state capital and served by spurs of I-40 and US-264.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2012, 09:49:02 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 20, 2012, 08:10:58 AM

H.B., that is correct (at least in most cases).  The Virginia proposal to toll I-95 is an exception.

QuoteI-80 connects nothing of real significance in Pennsylvania, but it's a major route from the Midwest to NYC.

I've driven almost none of I-80 in Penn's Woods, but from looking at a map, it seems you are correct.  "A whole lot of nothing." 

Other people that I trust say that long sections of I-80 in Pennsylvania need reconstruction and repair (and probably widening, though that was not included in the PTC/PennDOT proposal that was submitted to USDOT).

QuoteI-95 connects nothing of real significance in North Carolina, but it's a major route from Florida to the Northeast.

Absolutely correct.  I am one of those users, driving rather frequently from Maryland to South Carolina.

And I know that long sections of I-95 in North Carolina are badly in need of widening and total reconstruction. 

And even though NCDOT has done some remediation work, there are still about a dozen overpasses (mostly around and north of Lumberton) that are too low for Interstate-legal truck traffic.

QuoteA toll collection point near the state line would just be a much more obvious symbol of what those states are really trying to do; which is collect tolls from out-of-state motorists who are just passing through.

That's true, though (strange as it sounds), I liked the PTC/PennDOT proposal for tolling I-80 (I did not like the proposal to divert most of the I-80 revenue to militantly unionized hourly transit employees in urban areas of Pennsylvanian far from the I-80 corridor, however - nor did the Bush and Obama Administration USDOTs).   

Four-wheeled vehicles with E-ZPass transponders would have gotten the first toll collection gantry they passed on I-80 free of charge, in that way making a fair number of short intrastate trips toll-free.

Did you ever drive the Connecticut Turnpike in the years before it was de-tolled?  I did.  Even though there was no E-ZPass back then, it was pretty obvious to me that the barrier tolls were located in such a way to allow many local trips on the Turnpike to be free of charge.

Traffic

FHWA must not have a concern tolls at state lines if they have ever traveled I-95 between Delaware and Maryland.  $5 just to cross the state line.  Not an issue for Delaware residents, but punish the out of state folks.

1995hoo

Quote from: Traffic on March 21, 2012, 01:39:08 PM
FHWA must not have a concern tolls at state lines if they have ever traveled I-95 between Delaware and Maryland.  $5 just to cross the state line.  Not an issue for Delaware residents, but punish the out of state folks.

That's not an FHWA issue. The Delaware Turnpike was constructed without federal Interstate funds and Delaware originally imposed the tolls to pay for it. The FHWA couldn't demand that they remove the tolls once the bonds were paid off, so the state now uses it as a cash cow to fund other things and to allow them not to have a sales tax.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Williamsport, Scranton and Wilkes-Barre aren't on I-80.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on March 22, 2012, 01:58:00 PM

I-80 provides major Interstate east-west access to them, via spur I-380 and a section of I-81 for Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, and via spur I-180 and a section of US-220 for Williamsport.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jcarte29

Quote from: Beltway on March 22, 2012, 04:52:45 PM

I-80 provides major Interstate east-west access to them, via spur I-380 and a section of I-81 for Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, and via spur I-180 and a section of US-220 for Williamsport.

What does this have to do with North Carolina?? Stay on topic...
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Alps

Quote from: jcarte29 on March 22, 2012, 11:41:07 PM

It has to do with the topic of tolling I-95. Read the thread...

Beltway

Quote from: Steve on March 23, 2012, 12:48:10 AM

And the fact that NC I-95 and PA I-80 both DO serve significant cities in those states, directly and indirectly.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on March 23, 2012, 06:22:31 AM
Quote from: Steve on March 23, 2012, 12:48:10 AM

And the fact that NC I-95 and PA I-80 both DO serve significant cities in those states, directly and indirectly.

Significant, yes.

But as a percentage of statewide population (and seats in the respective state legislatures), no.

That is presumably why North Carolina is studying tolls on I-95, and why Pennsylvania promoted tolls on I-80.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 23, 2012, 08:36:23 AM
Quote from: Beltway on March 23, 2012, 06:22:31 AM

Significant, yes.

But as a percentage of statewide population (and seats in the respective state legislatures), no.

That is presumably why North Carolina is studying tolls on I-95, and why Pennsylvania promoted tolls on I-80.

I would disagree ... the I-80 zone in PA contains about 20% of the state population, and as stated before I-95 provides northerly and southerly access to the state capital Raleigh, and several other NC cities.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Mapmikey

A new NC 130 Business has been designated in Shallotte, as mainline NC 130 has been placed on the Smith Rd extension.  Not sure about the need for this...NC 130 still goes through most of the town on its duplex with US 17 Business...

http://www.ncdot.gov/doh/preconstruct/traffic/safety/Programs/data/route_change/2012/2012_02_20.pdf

Mapmikey

jcarte29

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 27, 2012, 07:03:37 AM
A new NC 130 Business has been designated in Shallotte, as mainline NC 130 has been placed on the Smith Rd extension.  Not sure about the need for this...NC 130 still goes through most of the town on its duplex with US 17 Business...

A few years back they did the same thing to NC 179 down the road in Sunset Beach....seems useless to me
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

CanesFan27

Didn't realize this but the northbound span of the new I-85 bridge over the Yadkin River is open to traffic. Two lanes are open.

Two Southbound lanes will be temporarily moved onto the new bridge in July.  The southbound four lane span should be open next year.  One article says January the other says May.

I'll most likely be crossing the new bridge this weekend coming back from the Warrior Dash in Charlotte this weekend.

http://triad.news14.com/content/top_stories/657055/i-85-north-bridge-over-yadkin-river-to-open-saturday
http://salisbury.wbtv.com/news/transportation/72982-85yadkin-river-bridge-now-open

OracleUsr

I drove across the bridge a couple of months ago.

Never did figure out how you take Exit 84, turn left and go to Spencer.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.