News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 19, 2015, 05:37:55 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 16, 2015, 03:18:14 PM
I agree the Raleigh Beltway should have been Interstate 640 to begin with. I also think that toll policy in the Interstate system should have been repealed a long time ago. It may have made sense when all toll plazas operated via toll booths. But with all-electronic tolling becoming the norm, the policy should be repealed.

Toll policy on the Interstate system?  Then how did I-355 in IL happen?

Since it was already a tollway that was built and operated by the state, IL was able to get away with making it I-355. On the other hand, the reason the Pocahontas Parkway is VA 895 and not I-895 is because it used federal funding.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

wdcrft63

I missed this: the western section of the US 70 Goldsboro Bypass opened ten days ago:
http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Western-section-of-US-70-Goldsboro-Bypass-opens-Saturday-333651791.html

This section was to be signed as NC 44 until the entire bypass is complete (photos, anyone?).

CanesFan27

Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 27, 2015, 06:18:19 PM
I missed this: the western section of the US 70 Goldsboro Bypass opened ten days ago:
http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Western-section-of-US-70-Goldsboro-Bypass-opens-Saturday-333651791.html

This section was to be signed as NC 44 until the entire bypass is complete (photos, anyone?).

I don't work that way anymore - and have been too busy to drive down.  If anyone does go, there's also the two interchanges being built near Pine Level.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Henry on September 21, 2015, 11:47:34 AMSince it was already a tollway that was built and operated by the state, IL was able to get away with making it I-355. On the other hand, the reason the Pocahontas Parkway is VA 895 and not I-895 is because it used federal funding.

AIUI, the no-tolls policy does not apply to mileage (including mileage that was otherwise eligible for Interstate construction funds as part of the original 41,000-mile system) for which no federal funding has been used.  Examples include I-335 in Kansas (not part of original system, construction originally paid for by tolls, designated 30 years in retrospect in order to take advantage of the Reagan-era NMSL increase to 65 MPH for Interstates), I-95 between Baltimore and the Delaware state line (could have been built with Interstate construction funds, but opened as tolled I-95), entire length of the Pennsylvania Turnpike (paid for by tolls), and so on.

Virginia SR 895 had no federal funds used in its construction, so what prevents its being designated as an Interstate is several million dollars of federal funds that were disbursed for design (including compilation of environmental documentation) decades before it opened.  In principle eligibility for an Interstate designation could be restored by repaying these federal funds, but nobody seems to have a few spare million in loose change lying around.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wdcrft63

The new section appears now on Google Maps, but it is identified inaccurately as US 70. https://goo.gl/maps/2aVYsiY2zwn

wdcrft63

At long last FHWA has approved the draft Environmental Impact Statement for the missing section of the Triangle Expressway (NC 540, or crypto-I-540). This clears the way for public hearings leading to selection of a route. Construction is expected in 2018.
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=11906

lordsutch

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 29, 2015, 10:33:37 AM
Virginia SR 895 had no federal funds used in its construction, so what prevents its being designated as an Interstate is several million dollars of federal funds that were disbursed for design (including compilation of environmental documentation) decades before it opened.  In principle eligibility for an Interstate designation could be restored by repaying these federal funds, but nobody seems to have a few spare million in loose change lying around.

Or the law could just be changed to either carve out an exception for 895 or just get rid of the rule in question. Honestly the logic of this rule escapes me, since it still allows all sorts of tolled Interstates and even tolled lanes on Interstates; I'm sure whoever came up with it had some reason for doing so at the time, but they're more than likely gone from Congress now.

Henry

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 04, 2015, 05:52:11 PM
At long last FHWA has approved the draft Environmental Impact Statement for the missing section of the Triangle Expressway (NC 540, or crypto-I-540). This clears the way for public hearings leading to selection of a route. Construction is expected in 2018.
About time!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

I agree with lordsutch. That toll road law should be repealed. I see no reason why toll roads can't be Interstates.

orulz

This is good news, and the rest of the bypass will open summer 2016.

However, Kinston has always been a much worse impediment to traffic flow on US 70 than Goldsboro, which already had a bypass through three quarters of the city. The Kinston Bypass is pretty far behind in the planning process.

Havelock is pretty congested too, but a bypass is already under construction there.

Mileage Mike

I think the biggest reason for the delay in a Kinston bypass has always been the Neuse river. No matter where they build it, one or several new bridges will have to be built over the river and much of the route lies in the flood plain. Making it a lot more expensive. There is a small possibility that they'll build the bypass north of the city to avoid the river but it would make the route so much longer that most people would probably continue to use the old route.

wdcrft63

Public hearings on the route are scheduled for December 7-9. After years stuck in red tape, this project is now on fast track.
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=11922

noelbotevera

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 08, 2015, 10:28:41 AM

Public hearings on the route are scheduled for December 7-9. After years stuck in red tape, this project is now on fast track.
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=11922
Finally. Seriously, NC wanted it I-540 since 2004 I think (2004 was when I was born).

Mapmikey

NC 581 has been rerouted in Bailey to follow the NC 581 Truck route.  The old route underneath the 8.5 ft underpass will remain in the secondary system.  This was approved by NCDOT in August - https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2015_08_12.pdf

NC 41 has also been approved in August to follow NC 87 Business into Elizabethtown - https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2015_08_20.pdf

No idea if either of these changes has been posted in the field...

Mike

wdcrft63

As expected, the 5-year highway bill provides for interstate corridors from Raleigh to Norfolk (US 64 + 17) and from Raleigh to Morehead City (US 70), plus extension of I-795 from Goldsboro to I-40.
http://wunc.org/post/congress-passes-bill-would-create-two-new-interstates-north-carolina-coast#stream/0

So let's get serious. NCDOT has projects underway or in the pipeline for US 70 and for the I-795 extension, but I'm not aware of any serious planning for upgrading US 17. It's the Raleigh-Norfolk link that's had the most discussion on his forum, but it's the US 70 corridor that has the better chance of actually happening.

Third Strike

I wonder what designation they will use for the US 70 corridor. I-42 would work really well since it's not currently being used for another route in the interstate system. I know there's talks of using I-44 or I-50 for the Raleigh/Norfolk interstate, but I think I-48 is a better option.

Now I wait for the day when US 74 from Asheville to Charlotte and Wilmington gets designated as an interstate.

Revive 755

Quote from: Third Strike on December 04, 2015, 08:13:45 PM
I wonder what designation they will use for the US 70 corridor.

I-340?

CanesFan27

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 04, 2015, 06:38:28 PM
As expected, the 5-year highway bill provides for interstate corridors from Raleigh to Norfolk (US 64 + 17) and from Raleigh to Morehead City (US 70), plus extension of I-795 from Goldsboro to I-40.
http://wunc.org/post/congress-passes-bill-would-create-two-new-interstates-north-carolina-coast#stream/0

So let's get serious. NCDOT has projects underway or in the pipeline for US 70 and for the I-795 extension, but I'm not aware of any serious planning for upgrading US 17. It's the Raleigh-Norfolk link that's had the most discussion on his forum, but it's the US 70 corridor that has the better chance of actually happening.

70 has a few projects - from the interchanges at Pine Level under construction right now and plans for two interchanges at Wilson Mills to start in 2020.

With the law passed, NC could and just may petition for the 70 corridor to be signed.  The Clayton and soon to be completed Goldsboro bypasses are interstate standard and would connect to the system.

The us 70 bypass of Selma/Smithfield will be interesting as it does not - and to the best of my knowledge has no plans - for a direct connection to 95.  This will create a Breezewood as Vanilla US 70 has a number of signals along it.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 04, 2015, 08:33:09 PM

I-340?

I-340 is fine with me, but NC is likely to ask for a 2di. The route is about 130 miles long, pretty long for a 3di but certainly short for a 2di.

mvak36

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 05, 2015, 06:16:07 PM

I-340?

I-340 is fine with me, but NC is likely to ask for a 2di. The route is about 130 miles long, pretty long for a 3di but certainly short for a 2di.

If it was a north-south route, I would have said it should have a 3di number. There's plenty of even 2di numbers to go around lol.  It is short for a 2di, but it would have greater mileage than I-12, I-83, I-86 Idaho, I-97, etc. It'd be comparable in length to I-22.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

CanesFan27

I-340?

Well the Goldsboro Bypass currently IS NC 44.........

WashuOtaku

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 05, 2015, 10:14:41 PM

I-340?

Doesn't mean anything; it was simply an available number that previously existed in the area before and not some idea what the interstate number might be.  The current plan is to switch it to US 70 Bypass when completed, that can easily change at the next AASHTO meeting.

CanesFan27

Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 06, 2015, 03:18:00 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 05, 2015, 10:14:41 PM

I-340?

Doesn't mean anything; it was simply an available number that previously existed in the area before and not some idea what the interstate number might be.  The current plan is to switch it to US 70 Bypass when completed, that can easily change at the next AASHTO meeting.

Mark, you're no fun.  ;-p

Mileage Mike

North Carolina has quite a bit of work to do on the US 70 corridor around Kinston, New Bern, and Havelock before it would be able to be signed as interstate.  Is the US 70 bypass even up to interstate standards?  It's been while since I've been out there.  The 3 US 70s around Smithfield will definitely be interesting as well.

I don't doubt that they'll request a 2di rather than a 3di for the corridor whenever that day does come that it's finally all upgraded though. NC seems pretty set on having almost every major road in the state an interstate, which is fine with me.

CanesFan27

Goldsboro and Clayton are built to standards.  Havelock bypass scheduled to begin in 2018.  Super70Corridor.com is a very good source of info.  Look at the meeting minutes for the most recent ncdot update

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.