News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Regional television markets

Started by Desert Man, November 18, 2017, 10:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanis

My market is large. It engulphs half of NJ, 2/3 of DE, the Philly area, and half of the Lehigh valley
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

bugo

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 06, 2018, 01:03:47 AM
Quote from: Brandon on April 05, 2018, 07:03:24 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on April 05, 2018, 06:29:43 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 05, 2018, 03:41:53 PM
I'm confused. If Sinclair owns everything, does that mean that MSNBC is now conservative instead of liberal?

MSNBC is very conservative, with the exception of a few journalists.

:rofl:
What planet are you on?  'Cause it ain't here.
The only thing MSLSD is to the right of is CNN.  CNN was a trusted news source during the Gulf War.  Now it's so far to the left it might as well be  Pravda USA. 

Are you serious? If so, why did they so blatantly and transparently push the right-wing Hillary Clinton over the more left-leaning Bernie Sanders during the election? They didn't even hide the fact that they were pushing her to win. They told flat out lies and falsehoods in order to make her look like she was winning by a large margin when in reality it was very close.

bandit957

Quote from: bugo on April 06, 2018, 02:11:11 AM
Are you serious? If so, why did they so blatantly and transparently push the right-wing Hillary Clinton over the more left-leaning Bernie Sanders during the election? They didn't even hide the fact that they were pushing her to win. They told flat out lies and falsehoods in order to make her look like she was winning by a large margin when in reality it was very close.

The right-wing media will do anything to destroy Bernie.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Hurricane Rex

I'm confused. If Sinclair owns everything, does that mean that MSNBC is now conservative instead of liberal?

The only thing MSLSD is to the right of is CNN.  CNN was a trusted news source during the Gulf War.  Now it's so far to the left it might as well be  Pravda USA. 

Hillary was still an icon of the democrats and their politicians and MSNBC were defending her. MSNBC is pro establishment (normal democrat and republican leaders). Also, Hillary had views that were far more left than right.
Quote from: bandit957 on April 06, 2018, 02:50:57 AM
Goes to my point of the establishment media in addition.

Lets also try to keep this from turning into a snowball fight so it doesn't come across as disrespectful to the moderators. I'm partially to blame here.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

bing101

Well back to regional tv markets and its owners at some point one is going to ask how is Sinclair  or other TV station owners not going to risk running into chapter 11. We seen this with radio station owners like Iheart and Cumulus though.

hbelkins

Quote from: bing101 on April 06, 2018, 09:52:58 AM
Well back to regional tv markets and its owners at some point one is going to ask how is Sinclair  or other TV station owners not going to risk running into chapter 11. We seen this with radio station owners like Iheart and Cumulus though.

TV viewership isn't declining the way radio listenership is. Also, TV advertising is expensive. Stations make a killing on it. Even small-market stations charge war prices for a 30-second spot.

As for other points addressed upthread:

1.) Hillary Clinton right-wing? I got a good chuckle out of that.
2.) Bernie Sanders had no business running in a Democrat primary. He's not a Democrat. He's an Independent. I get upset when I hear anyone from any side -- Bernie supporters on the left and Hillary haters on the right -- say that he was cheated out of the nomination. He wasn't cheated out of anything. I would fully expect Democrat leadership to want their party to nominate a fellow Democrat, not an Independent.
3.) CNN was trusted? By whom? They were called the Clinton News Network back when Bill was president.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2018, 11:32:00 AM

Compared to the rest of the developed world, our two parties are center-right and far-right. Hillary Clinton is on the left from a US perspective and the center-right from a world perspective.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Hurricane Rex

How this thread is developing: actual TV market talk > the Sinclair issue > political debate IMO.

As much as I want to comment further, I don't want to more political than I've already have.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

vdeane

I prefer to use "conservative", "liberal", and "leftist" for that reason, to differentiate between US mainstream liberal and someone who would be considered on the left in the rest of the developed world.  While liberals and leftists share similar beliefs on social issues, the gap between them on economic and foreign policy issues can often be as wide if not wider than the gap between liberals and conservatives.

I did a search on the MSNBC thing last night after reading that comment, and it seems that newer management wants to move the network in a more conservative direction.  Of course, until the on-air talent changes, that probably won't be reflected much in the actual broadcasts of their main shows.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on April 06, 2018, 01:20:28 PM

I did a search on the MSNBC thing last night after reading that comment, and it seems that newer management wants to move the network in a more conservative direction.  Of course, until the on-air talent changes, that probably won't be reflected much in the actual broadcasts of their main shows.

I rarely watch cable news -- which will shock some who think I'm some sort of drooling Fox News sycophant -- but I haven't noticed much political slant in the regular news coverage of any of the cable channels.

Where you get that is in the commentary/opinion shows that run in prime time. I'm not even sure who is on Fox for all three hours; I know Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity, who are both conservative, but not sure who occupies the third of those three hours. But years ago, accusing Fox of being right-wing was off base. Bill O'Reilly was hardly a conservative, despite what many said. He always struck me as a bit right-of-center moderate on most issues. "Hannity & Colmes" featured one conservative and one liberal. And Greta Van Susteren leaned left of center. As for MSNBC, Scarborough may be a former Republican officeholder, but he's no conservative. Matthews and Madcow are definitely liberals, and I couldn't tell you who the third prime-timer on MSNBC is.

bugo

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 06, 2018, 02:59:42 AM

Hillary was still an icon of the democrats and their politicians and MSNBC were defending her. MSNBC is pro establishment (normal democrat and republican leaders). Also, Hillary had views that were far more left than right.
Lets also try to keep this from turning into a snowball fight so it doesn't come across as disrespectful to the moderators. I'm partially to blame here.

You said "left" not "Democrat". The establishment Clintonian Democrats are not very far to the left. They're center-right at best. Bernie Sanders was the only true leftist running for president in 2016.

bugo

Quote from: 1 on April 06, 2018, 11:38:45 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2018, 11:32:00 AM

Compared to the rest of the developed world, our two parties are center-right and far-right. Hillary Clinton is on the left from a US perspective and the center-right from a world perspective.

+1. I've said that the Clintons were center-right all along.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2018, 02:03:48 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 06, 2018, 01:20:28 PM

I rarely watch cable news -- which will shock some who think I'm some sort of drooling Fox News sycophant -- but I haven't noticed much political slant in the regular news coverage of any of the cable channels.

Where you get that is in the commentary/opinion shows that run in prime time. I'm not even sure who is on Fox for all three hours; I know Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity, who are both conservative, but not sure who occupies the third of those three hours. But years ago, accusing Fox of being right-wing was off base. Bill O'Reilly was hardly a conservative, despite what many said. He always struck me as a bit right-of-center moderate on most issues. "Hannity & Colmes" featured one conservative and one liberal. And Greta Van Susteren leaned left of center. As for MSNBC, Scarborough may be a former Republican officeholder, but he's no conservative. Matthews and Madcow are definitely liberals, and I couldn't tell you who the third prime-timer on MSNBC is.

Colmes was set up to look weak against Hannity. He was a foil, a wimp, a cuck designed to make liberals look flaccid against the strong conservatives. I wouldn't be surprised if he were really a conservative pretending to be a "liberal".

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on April 06, 2018, 02:11:18 PM
Colmes was set up to look weak against Hannity. He was a foil, a wimp, a cuck designed to make liberals look flaccid against the strong conservatives. I wouldn't be surprised if he were really a conservative pretending to be a "liberal".

No. He was the real deal liberal. I heard his radio show on occasion and there was nothing right-wing about his viewpoints. Your perception probably had more to do with his physical appearance than anything else.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: bugo on April 06, 2018, 02:08:02 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 06, 2018, 02:59:42 AM

You said "left" not "Democrat". The establishment Clintonian Democrats are not very far to the left. They're center-right at best. Bernie Sanders was the only true leftist running for president in 2016.

1. I'll give you Bill for being Center right, but for Hillary, everything speaks left left left... Maybe not in world standards but even world standards she's center at best. ALL major ratings site have Clinton rated at mostly liberal or fully liberal. Adjust for world standards and you get center to center left.

2. I chose my words wisely there. Yes her views are more left than right. Democrats are far more left now than even in 2008. Hillary was against illegal immigration but now she is all for protecting them as an example.

3. I do agree that Bernie was the only true leftist in 2016.

4. My political scale from left to right (world scale): Marxist (USSR), left, center (John McCain is my guide for center, currently an F grade on most Conservative ratings sites), right, traditionalist.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2018, 03:48:38 PM
Quote from: bugo on April 06, 2018, 02:11:18 PM

No. He was the real deal liberal. I heard his radio show on occasion and there was nothing right-wing about his viewpoints. Your perception probably had more to do with his physical appearance than anything else.

How do you know? Unless you can read his mind, you will never know if he was a conservative masquerading as a liberal.

Life in Paradise

I used to listed as well to Alan Colmes at times on the radio.  If he was ever, ever right wing, he hid it very well.  He espoused the progressive viewpoint continually.  Although I might not agree with him, when he discussed a matter with others, it was a true respectful conversation. 

bugo

Quote from: Life in Paradise on April 06, 2018, 04:57:08 PM
I used to listed as well to Alan Colmes at times on the radio.  If he was ever, ever right wing, he hid it very well.  He espoused the progressive viewpoint continually.  Although I might not agree with him, when he discussed a matter with others, it was a true respectful conversation. 

The point is that he could have very easily been a fake liberal. There is no question that he was used to look weak compared to Hannity's strong image and to make Hannity look better.

bing101

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 06, 2018, 12:00:37 PM
How this thread is developing: actual TV market talk > the Sinclair issue > political debate IMO.

As much as I want to comment further, I don't want to more political than I've already have.

LG-TP260

I mentioned Sinclair because they are the most influential in providing local news content in the nation and lots of markets air Sinclair news with exceptions to (San Francisco, Honolulu, Detroit, Atlanta and Boston) But back to local TV markets. But my updates spiraled out of control when there was talk about a boycott of the largest owners of TV stations. I will attempt to bring it back to what the OP's
objective.

Well back to local TV Markets remember back in the 1980's and 1990's when PBS affiliates aired (instructional programming from AIT and Telecourse programming from Annenberg project)

I remember KQED aired them back then but that was way before various schools and Khan Academy took the void in the past decade and started doing instructional broadcasts on YouTube.

Nanis

Quote from: bing101 on April 07, 2018, 04:11:54 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 06, 2018, 12:00:37 PM

LG-TP260

I mentioned Sinclair because they are the most influential in providing local news content in the nation and lots of markets air Sinclair news with exceptions to (San Francisco, Honolulu, Detroit, Atlanta and Boston) But back to local TV markets. But my updates spiraled out of control when there was talk about a boycott of the largest owners of TV stations. I will attempt to bring it back to what the OP's
objective.

Well back to local TV Markets remember back in the 1980's and 1990's when PBS affiliates aired (instructional programming from AIT and Telecourse programming from Annenberg project)

I remember KQED aired them back then but that was way before various schools and Khan Academy took the void in the past decade and started doing instructional broadcasts on YouTube.
The Philly and probably the NYC areas do not air Sinclair news.

As for the Annenberg instructional content, I do not remember it. However, WHYY and NJN both listed instructional content as part of their schedules. Dunno about WLVT nor do I care about it as I never got it normally. Same with MPT and WITF.
Note: I have antenna TV. I refuse to get cable. My parents also refuse.
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

vdeane

Both the Philly and NYC markets are dominated by stations directly owned by the networks, so no Sinclair right now.  That will likely change, though - the CW station in NYC is owned by Tribune as in the MyNetwork TV station in Philly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ThatRandomOshawott

Calloway County, KY has an interesting situation with its stations. It is officially in the Paducah/Cape Girardeau/Harrisburg market, but its cable stations get the Big Three Nashville stations. In addition, until recently, they got WBBJ from Jackson.

hbelkins

Quote from: ThatRandomOshawott on April 07, 2018, 11:03:53 PM
Calloway County, KY has an interesting situation with its stations. It is officially in the Paducah/Cape Girardeau/Harrisburg market, but its cable stations get the Big Three Nashville stations. In addition, until recently, they got WBBJ from Jackson.

Is that instead of, or in addition to, the local market stations?

ThatRandomOshawott

Quote from: hbelkins on April 07, 2018, 11:21:03 PM

The cable networks get Nashville's stations (and formerly WBBJ) in addition to the Paducah/Cape Girardeau/Harrisburg stations.

hbelkins

Quote from: ThatRandomOshawott on April 08, 2018, 02:44:00 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 07, 2018, 11:21:03 PM

The cable networks get Nashville's stations (and formerly WBBJ) in addition to the Paducah/Cape Girardeau/Harrisburg stations.

What about satellite? Do you know?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.