AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 07:31:36 AM 
Started by dchristy - Last post by In_Correct
While construction in south Dallas on IH 35 is an inconvenience, and going through Sherman on US 75 is a mess, the construction on IH 35 in Waco is a nightmare.  I spent well over an hour going northbound through Waco a couple of weeks ago, and that was with trying the frontage roads as well as the interstate.  Does anybody have any suggestions for a short cut or a quicker way?  And, when will this construction be completed?

It would be U.S. 281. The Necessary Upgrades for U.S. 281 would be finished long after Interstate 35.

on: Today at 06:51:10 AM 
Started by CoreySamson - Last post by CNGL-Leudimin
Okay, the game has been updated to the 2020 census results. Two side effects of this is any places incorporated since 2010 that weren't previously a CDP are now accepted (e.g. Jurupa Valley), and I can no longer name any places with just 1 reported person, the lowest being 2 which is again a tie (the well-known Monowi NE, which still has only one permanent resident; and Topock AZ).

on: Today at 06:26:51 AM 
Started by zachary_amaryllis - Last post by 1
Do you need to change recipes or how long to cook things due to the high elevation?

on: Today at 05:32:18 AM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by Bickendan
Not a highway, but:

When the Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel was built in the late 1980s, it was designed to carry buses but be convertible to rail use. A last minute addition to the plans allowed for tracks to be installed so that rail conversion would not require a disruptive shutdown of the system.

Fast forward to the 2000s when it came time to build our light rail system. The tunnel's tracks were not properly insulated for use by trains, so they ended up being useless. The tunnel had to shut down for 2 years so that the tracks could be removed, the roadbed lowered (because we chose low-floor cars that were not common in 1980s North America), and the wiring redone.

Overall, it ended up being a boon for the rail system, as we didn't have to shell out tons of extra money for a downtown tunnel in the 2000s.
Did the rail replacement wind up serving as proof of concept for the permanent removal of buses from the tunnel?

on: Today at 03:41:13 AM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by J N Winkler
State governments can opt out of changing for DST.  I don't know what Florida's process was but apparently it didn't end up as the government deciding to opt out.  Speculating, maybe due to the large tourism business in Florida it was decided to keep the same time as in the rest of the east coast states.

My understanding is that Florida wanted "permanent DST" (i.e., UTC-4:00 year-round), which is not allowed under federal law since a state may choose only whether it observes DST; its time zones and the national schedule for DST changes are set by USDOT.

on: Today at 03:39:45 AM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by SeriesE
Alphabetically named streets

This also has the flexibility of keeping the grid naming pattern when new streets are added between existing streets.

on: Today at 03:22:01 AM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by kkt
I donít know why we have to change clocks? Yes I am aware the history, but both Arizona and Hawaii are exempt yet Florida has to do the change despite voters wanted one consistent time year round.

State governments can opt out of changing for DST.  I don't know what Florida's process was but apparently it didn't end up as the government deciding to opt out.  Speculating, maybe due to the large tourism business in Florida it was decided to keep the same time as in the rest of the east coast states.

on: Today at 02:50:56 AM 
Started by Roadgeekteen - Last post by sprjus4
70 mph

on: Today at 02:44:52 AM 
Started by Tarkus - Last post by Bruce
Also a quick realization: If the current bridges are tolled ahead of the replacement project (as was the case for WA 520), then the Interstate Bridge will have been tolled three times in its history: from opening in 1917 to 1928, from the second span's opening in 1952 to 1966, and then whatever happens for the replacement.

on: Today at 02:28:00 AM 
Started by mass_citizen - Last post by LilianaUwU
Found another double arrow sign (whatever they're called idk), here you go Chris.

located in Ripley, Mississippi

I guess we could call them "PEI arrows" considering their widespread presence in Prince Edward Island.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.