AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 05:23:57 PM 
Started by US71 - Last post by Scott5114
I'm surprised the thread title hasn't been updated by now, since I-49 has fully arrived in MO (with the possible future exception of the Bruce Watkins at-grades being converted in Kansas City)

Should be quite a while before/if that occurs.
Does anyone know the reason why US 71 in KC was not built to a full freeway?

MoDOT lost a court case brought by local residents that didn't want the freeway. Should be fairly well documented if you search for Bruce Watkins Drive.

Or putting it in other words, what MoDOT would have had to spend to remediate the residents concerns would have made the road uneconomic.

MoDOT could have $999 trillion to spend and it wouldn't make a difference. They're legally unable to build a freeway by court order.

on: Today at 05:17:59 PM 
Started by CoreySamson - Last post by jayhawkco
I don't have time to create a map right now, but Ada County, ID would be pretty much a thick east-west line (or a few parallel lines) with US-20, US-26, and US-30, but almost nothing north/south since US-95 does not pass through the county (though I would say it serves the county for long distance traffic, not good enough here).

And I-84.

on: Today at 05:13:41 PM 
Started by Henry - Last post by plain
I-265 Indiana

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bBDjfjhAkC1CrHwy8

on: Today at 05:12:17 PM 
Started by Tom89t - Last post by jakeroot
^ Indeed, there is no reference to LRT/streetcar signals in the 1988 version of the MUTCD.  The "white aspect rule" would have only been required by contract specification for projects started prior to the inclusion of the 2000 version of the MUTCD.  And some later projects might not have remembered to include MUTCD for street-running LRT signalling rules.

Planning for the Tacoma Link streetcar (again, opened 2003) would have certainly begun in the late 1990s, possibly before that white aspect rule came into place. I don't suppose the 2000 MUTCD was adopted soon enough for them to have enough time to change to all-white aspects. Or, the signals were designed prior to the 2000 MUTCD adoption and thus were not required to have been all-white.

More confusing, the South Lake Union Trolley (SLUT) was opened in 2007, well after that MUTCD was adopted, but also uses amber aspects; I suppose it could have had its signals designed prior to the 2000 MUTCD adoption, but it seems far less likely. The Broadway streetcar in Seattle uses all-white displays, however.

on: Today at 05:04:46 PM 
Started by US71 - Last post by edwaleni
I'm surprised the thread title hasn't been updated by now, since I-49 has fully arrived in MO (with the possible future exception of the Bruce Watkins at-grades being converted in Kansas City)

Should be quite a while before/if that occurs.
Does anyone know the reason why US 71 in KC was not built to a full freeway?

MoDOT lost a court case brought by local residents that didn't want the freeway. Should be fairly well documented if you search for Bruce Watkins Drive.

Or putting it in other words, what MoDOT would have had to spend to remediate the residents concerns would have made the road uneconomic.

on: Today at 05:03:48 PM 
Started by Crown Victoria - Last post by Bruce
A few US Bicycle Route changes: https://www.adventurecycling.org/members/news/usbrs-adds-new-route-on-eastern-seaboard-and-150-miles/

on: Today at 05:01:54 PM 
Started by Alex - Last post by storm2k
Darn, I don't mind the signs, but it would have been nice to see either "freeway" or "expressway" used consistently statewide. I'd prefer freeway personally, but value consistency over term.

Eh, none of it is as egregious as this in my mind. It should not be called a freeway when there is a traffic signal about 3/4 of a mile from this spot.

on: Today at 04:59:53 PM 
Started by CoreySamson - Last post by doorknob60
I don't have time to create a map right now, but Ada County, ID would be pretty much a thick east-west line (or a few parallel lines) with US-20, US-26, and US-30, but almost nothing north/south since US-95 does not pass through the county (though I would say it serves the county for long distance traffic, not good enough here).

on: Today at 04:58:43 PM 
Started by SkyPesos - Last post by webny99
None of the above so far...

on: Today at 04:56:53 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by webny99
Dallas hasnít lost to the Jags or anyone nearly as bad as them. If you rank the ugliness of the Cowboys and Bills losses, three of the worst four are Bills losses.

Aaargh I was determined not to comment on the Bills until after tonight but you got me with this one!  :-D

I disagree. The top three are pretty obvious, but I think Cowboys-Chiefs was uglier than Bills-Steelers. The Steelers are a defense-first team and the Bills held the Steelers offense to 16 points. Bills probably win or at least go to OT if not for a blocked punt returned for a touchdown. You can argue that the Bills are inconsistent, but that's entirely based on the Jags and Colts games. One was the other Josh Allen's statement game (made possible due to OL injuries), and the other was a classic "everything that can go wrong will" game, including two missed field goals and a head-scratching kickoff return fumble that gifted the Colts 7 points.

In short, the Bills have two really ugly losses, but they're also three plays away from 10-1. So I'll check back in after - yeah, I'll say it - the most important regular season game in franchise history.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.