News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arizona

Started by Alps, March 04, 2015, 08:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Sounds like someone needs to hit the revert version tab on I-17.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe Wikipedia made a mistake when announcing such a proposal (although I think it makes perfect sense, since the existing exit sequence is awkward), or maybe Wikipedia jumped the gun on a project that may be under consideration in the future. If any proposal to change Interstate 17's (or any other highways') exit numbers do come to fruition, let me know.

TheGrassGuy

Dang, can't believe I've gone more than a year without knowing about the completion of the AZ-202 extension project. :-o
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

andy3175

The Arizona DOT is soliciting input on its 5 year road construction program.

https://www.azfamily.com/traffic/adot-wants-your-input-on-tentative-highway-lineup-for-arizona/article_f83b665d-ddeb-5b22-a4de-b61af692508a.amp.html

QuoteThe Arizona Department of Transportation on Thursday began a public comment period on the 2022-2026 tentative five-year construction program.

Major projects included in the tentative program include adding lanes to Interstate 17 between Anthem Way on the far northern outskirts of metro Phoenix and Sunset Point and replacing Interstate 10 bridges over the Gila River south of metro Phoenix.

Construction of the $328 million I-17 lanes project is scheduled to begin in 2022, and the $83 million bridge project is scheduled to get underway in 2023.

Two construction projects involve U.S. 93, the principal route between Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Constructing the first phase of a new interchange between U.S. 93 and Interstate 40 in west Kingman is scheduled to start by 2024, while a project to widen 4 miles (6 kilometers) of U.S. 93 north of Wickenburg is scheduled for 2022.

The Kingman project's cost is put at $70 million, while the Wickenburg project is estimated at $41 million.

The department plans four public hearings on the five-year program between now and when the State Transportation Board considers the plan June 18.

The five year program is posted at https://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-programming/tentative-five-year-program

QuotePublic comment period begins for ADOT's Tentative Five-Year Construction Program

On March 18, 2021, ADOT will release its tentative 2022-2026 Five-Year Transportation Facilities Construction Program(link is external) for public review and comment. The public comment period for the Tentative Five-Year Program ends at 5 p.m. on June 3, 2021.

The State Transportation Board is expected to consider formal action at its June 18 board meeting about what will be in the updated Five-Year Program.

The public can provide comments on the tentative Five-Year Program in the following ways:

Attend the virtual public hearings of the State Transportation Board on March 19, April 16, May 21 and June 3 at 9 a.m. Meeting information can be found at http://aztransportationboard.gov(link is external)

Complete an online comment form at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ADOTFiveYearPlan(link is external)

Email: fiveyearconstructionprogram@azdot.gov(link sends e-mail)

Call the bilingual phone line at: 1-855-712-8530

Mail ADOT at: Attn: Daina Mann, c/o ADOT Communications, 1655 W. Jackson, Room 179, MD 126F, Phoenix, AZ 85007

View Tentative 2022-2026 Five-Year Transportation Facilities Construction Program

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

US 89

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 09, 2021, 01:02:35 PM
Maybe Wikipedia made a mistake when announcing such a proposal (although I think it makes perfect sense, since the existing exit sequence is awkward), or maybe Wikipedia jumped the gun on a project that may be under consideration in the future. If any proposal to change Interstate 17's (or any other highways') exit numbers do come to fruition, let me know.

This wasn't the doing of Wikipedia. This was the doing of some random dude on the internet who came up with a fictional renumbering on his own.

sparker

Quote from: andy3175 on March 20, 2021, 10:32:08 PM
The Arizona DOT is soliciting input on its 5 year road construction program.

https://www.azfamily.com/traffic/adot-wants-your-input-on-tentative-highway-lineup-for-arizona/article_f83b665d-ddeb-5b22-a4de-b61af692508a.amp.html

QuoteThe Arizona Department of Transportation on Thursday began a public comment period on the 2022-2026 tentative five-year construction program.

Major projects included in the tentative program include adding lanes to Interstate 17 between Anthem Way on the far northern outskirts of metro Phoenix and Sunset Point and replacing Interstate 10 bridges over the Gila River south of metro Phoenix.

Construction of the $328 million I-17 lanes project is scheduled to begin in 2022, and the $83 million bridge project is scheduled to get underway in 2023.

Two construction projects involve U.S. 93, the principal route between Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Constructing the first phase of a new interchange between U.S. 93 and Interstate 40 in west Kingman is scheduled to start by 2024, while a project to widen 4 miles (6 kilometers) of U.S. 93 north of Wickenburg is scheduled for 2022.

The Kingman project's cost is put at $70 million, while the Wickenburg project is estimated at $41 million.

The department plans four public hearings on the five-year program between now and when the State Transportation Board considers the plan June 18.

The five year program is posted at https://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-programming/tentative-five-year-program

QuotePublic comment period begins for ADOT's Tentative Five-Year Construction Program

On March 18, 2021, ADOT will release its tentative 2022-2026 Five-Year Transportation Facilities Construction Program(link is external) for public review and comment. The public comment period for the Tentative Five-Year Program ends at 5 p.m. on June 3, 2021.

The State Transportation Board is expected to consider formal action at its June 18 board meeting about what will be in the updated Five-Year Program.

The public can provide comments on the tentative Five-Year Program in the following ways:

Attend the virtual public hearings of the State Transportation Board on March 19, April 16, May 21 and June 3 at 9 a.m. Meeting information can be found at http://aztransportationboard.gov(link is external)

Complete an online comment form at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ADOTFiveYearPlan(link is external)

Email: fiveyearconstructionprogram@azdot.gov(link sends e-mail)

Call the bilingual phone line at: 1-855-712-8530

Mail ADOT at: Attn: Daina Mann, c/o ADOT Communications, 1655 W. Jackson, Room 179, MD 126F, Phoenix, AZ 85007

View Tentative 2022-2026 Five-Year Transportation Facilities Construction Program

SM-G975U

Apparently the US 93 project immediately north of Wickenburg, which includes roundabouts, has little or nothing to do with the I-11 overlay of that highway but rather there to address safety issues at the AZ 89 junction as well as capacity to accommodate outward Wickenburg-area housing expansion.  Seeing as how the I-11 alignment is expected to take a wide arc around the west side of that city, it would probably diverge from existing US 93 well north of this project.

kernals12

Quote from: bing101 on December 02, 2020, 09:20:12 AM
Rob Guy Road does a segment on how the state of Arizona planned and dealt with the politics of Phoenix area freeways.

I think the more notable story is that Phoenix nearly went down the dark path of Vancouver and San Francisco in not having a freeway system but by the 80s, when traffic became unbearable, they relented and voted to impose a sales tax to build a wonderful freeway network.

splashflash

Kniwt

The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson reports that a 5-mile section of US 191 south of Willcox is closed indefinitely after fissures up to 10 feet deep opened across the roadway.
https://tucson.com/news/local/major-crack-closes-southern-arizona-highway-in-heavy-groundwater-pumping-area/article_52a242d0-debd-11eb-ad7d-478c4ded74bf.html

QuoteA big crack opening up to 10 feet deep in the earth forced closure of a stretch of U.S. 191 in Cochise County this week, inconveniencing drivers and deepening local concerns about the impacts of unregulated groundwater pumping on that basin's aquifer.

The Arizona Department of Transportation closed a 5-mile section of the highway linking two rural communities lying southwest of Willcox early Tuesday after heavy rains caused cracks to open in the road through erosion.

The crack was up to 8 to 10 feet deep and opened up to 2 feet wide in spots before work crews could fill it in on Tuesday and Wednesday, although much of it was thin and almost hairline. The crack covered roughly a quarter-mile-long area, said Bill Harman, district engineer for ADOT's Safford-based, Southeastern Arizona district.

In part because the road is left in unstable condition, Harman said he doesn't know when it can reopen. Traffic on 191 – the main link between Interstate 10 and Douglas – is being detoured to the west for the foreseeable future.

... One complicating factor is that it's not yet a settled question as to whether this crack's formation is due to groundwater pumping or to natural causes.

Max Rockatansky

Hey, at least it isn't north of Morenci for once with US 191.  There are some roads near the closure area but I don't recall many of them being paved or really being conveniently placed to get around the farm parcels and back to US 191.  AZ 181 and AZ 186 probably is a better bet to get towards Willcox.

andy3175

The summer monsoon could be a drought buster but is causing roadway damage.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/07/24/weather/southwest-monsoon-flash-flood-drought-weekend-forecast/index.html

https://azdot.gov/adot-news/after-wildfires-drivers-should-be-wary-potential-storm-runoff

QuoteWhile the risk of flooding or sudden closures can occur anywhere wildfires have occurred in recent years, some areas are especially vulnerable this summer. Those highways include US 60, SR 77 and SR 177, where the Telegraph Fire has caused widespread damage on roadways forming a triangle between Superior, Globe-Miami and Winkelman.  

Storm damage is also possible because of fires in 2021 or recent years on highways that include SR 88, SR 188, US 191 south of Alpine, SR 87 south of Payson and SR 260 between Camp Verde and SR 87.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/monsoon-brought-lightning-rain-and-flooding-to-phoenix-and-other-parts-of-arizona.amp

QuoteThe impact knocked down trees, fencing, and even power. It has also triggered flash flood warnings in some Phoenix suburbs.

In Scottsdale, city officials reported outages in the city's Old Town district and South Scottsdale. Crews have been working to restore power and clean up debris. Multiple streets in flood-prone areas have been closed. The damage to McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park was so extensive, the park is now closed until further notice.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

kernals12

New Freeway Just Dropped

On August 20th, ADOT released the EIS for a new freeway connecting Tucson to Phoenix's East Valley. It will relieve congestion on 10 and facilitate growth

Plutonic Panda

I can get behind this. I wish Oklahoma would take a cue from Arizona.

Max Rockatansky

Probably not much choice considering all the issues ADOT and the Gila Reservation have had.  I'm skeptical about the urban sprawl from Phoenix hitting Coolidge and Florence.  That's a long from the core of the Phoenix Metro Area and I don't see it being tenable for "bedroom"  communities.  Then again, that's arguably what Maricopa already is...

Interesting to see Golden Canyon got an approved bypass.  The current expressway always struck me as something that would be fairly straight forward in terms of developing a couple interchanges for. 

Sonic99

I genuinely wonder if/when we will see this ever happen. I've been waiting for SR30 for a while now, and still no ETA. Plus the Prop money is about to run out in the next couple years and will need to be renewed, and with the current political climate, I have my doubts as to if it will be extended.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2021, 07:39:40 AM
Probably not much choice considering all the issues ADOT and the Gila Reservation have had.  I'm skeptical about the urban sprawl from Phoenix hitting Coolidge and Florence.  That's a long from the core of the Phoenix Metro Area and I don't see it being tenable for "bedroom"  communities.  Then again, that's arguably what Maricopa already is...

The San Tan Valley has needed a freeway for at least 10 years.  It's a hot-growth area.  Eventually, that sprawl will hit Coolidge and Florence.

QuoteInteresting to see Golden Canyon got an approved bypass.  The current expressway always struck me as something that would be fairly straight forward in terms of developing a couple interchanges for.

Gold Canyon is a "money" area.  I'm willing to bet that this wouldn't have gotten past Pinal County politicians without the bypass route.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 25, 2021, 01:36:01 AM

The San Tan Valley has needed a freeway for at least 10 years.  It's a hot-growth area.  Eventually, that sprawl will hit Coolidge and Florence.

QuoteInteresting to see Golden Canyon got an approved bypass.  The current expressway always struck me as something that would be fairly straight forward in terms of developing a couple interchanges for.

Gold Canyon is a "money" area.  I'm willing to bet that this wouldn't have gotten past Pinal County politicians without the bypass route.

Planners have also said the city would be backed up to Lake Pleasant and would grow on the western flank of the White Tanks.  With all these bedroom communities people still seem to be commuting towards downtown Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale.  That's not exactly a fantastic plan to permit massive residential sprawl with little commerce to back it up.  Does a commute from the likes of Florence to any of the downtown areas not described above not seem what one might see in an overgrown Californian metro area? 

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 25, 2021, 07:54:02 AM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 25, 2021, 01:36:01 AM

Planners have also said the city would be backed up to Lake Pleasant and would grow on the western flank of the White Tanks.  With all these bedroom communities people still seem to be commuting towards downtown Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale.  That's not exactly a fantastic plan to permit massive residential sprawl with little commerce to back it up.  Does a commute from the likes of Florence to any of the downtown areas not described above not seem what one might see in an overgrown Californian metro area?

Less than 2% of all jobs in Greater Phoenix are located downtown. Phoenix is one of the most decentralized cities in the world. And given how remote work has proven itself, I don't see why employment would get more centralized. People will probably spend 2 days a week working at home and 3 days working from a suburban satellite office.

sparker

Essentially this looks like a freeway alternative to the AZ 79/77 combination from the eastern valley (Apache Jct.) down to metro Tucson.  It'll also probably serve to delineate the eastern practical limits of mass housing expansion.  Interesting to see that it'll functionally be an extension of the US 60 freeway, which would have never seen an eastward extension as a freeway facility beyond Florence Junction in any case because of the terrain.  Any inkling about the numerical designation of the new corridor? 

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: sparker on August 25, 2021, 06:01:25 PM
Any inkling about the numerical designation of the new corridor?

I have seen ADOT documents showing it as an extension of AZ 88.  If that were to happen, that would make it one of the few, if not the only highway in the US to be a freeway at one end and a dirt road at the other (OK, the last mile to AZ 188 is paved, but still...).

Because of the distance between Idaho Rd. (the beginning of AZ 88 at US 60) and the beginning of the new freeway, I doubt it'll be called AZ 88.  ADOT doesn't do 3 digit Interstates, but if they could be talked into it, then I-310 would be a good number.  Even more unlikely is for them to make it an extension of I-19, co-signing 10 and 19 through Tucson to Eloy.  I'll be shocked if they do that.

It looks like they're numbering new freeways as lower-digit state highways, such as AZ 24 for the Gateway and AZ 30 for the Tres Rios.  Maybe something like AZ 41 or some other odd number.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

rower155

It's not specifically a matter of "they could be talked into it." Changing from a state designated route to an interstate comes with more drawbacks than benefits in this case.  For example, all additions and many modifications to interstate interchanges require an IAJR (Interstate Access Justification Report) that is approved by FHWA. These are not particularly hard, but do take time/money to do. It is one less step for interchanges on a state highway.

kernals12

How has the Broadway Curve project managed to avoid the controversy that other massive widening projects (I-45 in Houston, I-5 in Portland, 710/605 in Los Angeles etc.) have attracted recently?

Plutonic Panda

How is the I-5 project in Portland massive? Lol that freeway should be at least 5 lanes each way but will only be 3 smh

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: kernals12 on August 26, 2021, 07:35:28 PM
How has the Broadway Curve project managed to avoid the controversy that other massive widening projects (I-45 in Houston, I-5 in Portland, 710/605 in Los Angeles etc.) have attracted recently?

We're used to that section of I-10 being a massive bottleneck.  Anything will be an improvement, despite an even worse bottleneck for a couple of years.

That hot mess was one reason I moved from Ahwatukee to Mesa in 2014.  :-D

ztonyg

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 25, 2021, 06:56:02 PM
Quote from: sparker on August 25, 2021, 06:01:25 PM
Any inkling about the numerical designation of the new corridor?

I have seen ADOT documents showing it as an extension of AZ 88.  If that were to happen, that would make it one of the few, if not the only highway in the US to be a freeway at one end and a dirt road at the other (OK, the last mile to AZ 188 is paved, but still...).

Because of the distance between Idaho Rd. (the beginning of AZ 88 at US 60) and the beginning of the new freeway, I doubt it'll be called AZ 88.  ADOT doesn't do 3 digit Interstates, but if they could be talked into it, then I-310 would be a good number.  Even more unlikely is for them to make it an extension of I-19, co-signing 10 and 19 through Tucson to Eloy.  I'll be shocked if they do that.

It looks like they're numbering new freeways as lower-digit state highways, such as AZ 24 for the Gateway and AZ 30 for the Tres Rios.  Maybe something like AZ 41 or some other odd number.

In my fictional world I think the AZ 30 should become I-10 (as it's the original I-10 alignment), the existing I-10 and the Red Mountain Loop 202 should become I-410, the Santan / South Mountain Loop 202 should become I-610, and the Superstition / Pinal North South Freeway should become I-310. Not that it'll ever happen

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.