News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

Surprisingly a general thread for Ohio-related news hasn't been started, so here it is.
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D08/Pages/I-71-MLK-Interchange-Project-Info.aspx
The official MLK Drive Project page from ODOT has a nice timeline for progress on the interchange. I couldn't find any newer information about the project. Anyone have new information on the project's progress?
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

GCrites

They are really behind on highway mowing this year because of all that rain in the spring and early summer. Grass and weeds got 4-5 feet tall in some places. Routine mowing is turning into grubbing projects.

vtk

Is this thread supposed to cover all of Ohio, or just the portion covered by the "Ohio Valley" forum? Half the state belongs in the "Great Lakes" forum, you know. I had intended to start a thread for each half, one in each forum, with a map in the first post showing how the state is divided, but I've been too busy.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: vtk on September 05, 2015, 08:41:48 PM
Is this thread supposed to cover all of Ohio, or just the portion covered by the "Ohio Valley" forum? Half the state belongs in the "Great Lakes" forum, you know. I had intended to start a thread for each half, one in each forum, with a map in the first post showing how the state is divided, but I've been too busy.
I guess we can make this just be for the Ohio Valley Section of Ohio.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

hbelkins

Is this thread supposed to cover all of Ohio, or just the portion covered by the "Ohio Valley" forum? Half the state belongs in the "Great Lakes" forum, you know.

My recollection of the placement of the watershed signs would indicate that it's more like 2/3rds Ohio Valley and 1/3rd Great Lakes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Quote from: hbelkins on September 05, 2015, 10:48:41 PM
Is this thread supposed to cover all of Ohio, or just the portion covered by the "Ohio Valley" forum? Half the state belongs in the "Great Lakes" forum, you know.

My recollection of the placement of the watershed signs would indicate that it's more like 2/3rds Ohio Valley and 1/3rd Great Lakes.

Watersheds would be more relevant if this were a form about canoeing or riverain biology. I proposed dividing the state along DOT district boundaries, and observed some agreement.

tidecat

I would suggest I-70 as the dividing line.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

6a

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 05, 2015, 10:19:57 AM
They are really behind on highway mowing this year because of all that rain in the spring and early summer. Grass and weeds got 4-5 feet tall in some places. Routine mowing is turning into grubbing projects.
If I did that, code enforcement would crawl up my ass.

6a

Quote from: tidecat on September 06, 2015, 10:22:37 AM
That divides Columbus, where a fair chunk of posters live, in half. For the record, most of us consider Columbus to be in the Great Lakes area.

andy

Quote from: 6a on September 06, 2015, 07:23:20 PM

Quote from: tidecat on September 06, 2015, 10:22:37 AM
That divides Columbus, where a fair chunk of posters live, in half. For the record, most of us consider Columbus to be in the Great Lakes area.
Indiana has the same problem (I70 through Indy), and most of the generic Indiana stuff seems to float up to the Great Lakes.  I've just gotten used to it. And, yes, I do find stuff from as far south as Evansville up there.

hbelkins

Quote from: vtk on September 06, 2015, 04:20:25 AM

Watersheds would be more relevant if this were a form about canoeing or riverain biology. I proposed dividing the state along DOT district boundaries, and observed some agreement.

Not if you want to be technically correct.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

andy

Quote from: hbelkins on September 06, 2015, 10:11:58 PM
Quote from: vtk on September 06, 2015, 04:20:25 AM

Not if you want to be technically correct.
True, but ....
The Ohio River watershed for which this thread's parent is named (to state the obvious), for Indiana, Ohio and Illinois really would leave only a sliver along the shoreline of the lakes for the Great Lakes region.

Also, it seems I've seen this discussion before. :-/

It just gives me twice the postings to look over.

GCrites

Glaciated Ohio vs. Unglaciated Ohio is my vote on the matter.

vtk

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 07, 2015, 10:28:07 AM
Glaciated Ohio vs. Unglaciated Ohio is my vote on the matter.

I think there's a noticeable cultural division that roughly follows that line of glacial extent, as well. Hunters on one side, farmers on the other...

vtk

This is the thread for miscellaneous Ohio things in the Midwest - Great Lakes forum, so it covers Districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 12.  Why?  Because I said so, and nobody seemed to object.

For Districts 5, 8, 9, 10, 11 see Ohio Valley forum counterpart.

vtk

So I went and made a map:

Regarding why I split the state the way I did, I first proposed this split in this post, and nobody objected at the time.  Since this is a roadgeek forum and we talk mostly about stuff the DOT does, it makes sense to me to divide along DOT district boundaries if we have to divide the state at all.  Within that constraint, I attempted to follow the cultural division, between association with the hills, hunting, and the Ohio River, versus association with farming, the Midwest, and Lake Erie.  I can say that in flat central Ohio, even though our drainage flows south, we tend to associate culturally more with the Midwest and/or the Great Lakes region, compared to the Ohio River Valley.  So here we are.

And I made another thread in the Midwest - Great Lakes forum.

Ballastic, if you don't mind, I think it would be helpful if you edited the first post of this thread to include a clarification that this thread is for the Ohio Valley forum section of the state, and include my map and a link to the other thread.  Just a suggestion.

Stephane Dumas

andy

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 09, 2015, 09:22:13 PM
Also, I saw some maps showing Appalachian Ohio counties covered by the Appalachian range where the Ohio river drains with the exception of Hamilton county.
http://www.firstohio.com/images/countymap2.gif
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Ohio#/media/File:Appalachian_Ohio_Counties.svg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegrass_region#/media/File:Geographic_regions_ohio.svg

Interesting, but not complete.  Much of the remainder of the state enters the Ohio River through Indiana.  For example, the Wabash River of Indiana fame begins north of I70 in Ohio and trails across Indiana to the south west corner.

Edit: just looked; "exception of Hamilton County" cuts off the Miami River which is a major water shed (barely going to Indiana).

vtk

US 23 resurfacing in Pike County is almost complete. That's been annoying, with the lane closures. I suppose all that's left is to carve rumble strips.

mrsman

In my opinion, and I know I've mentioned this before in one of the general forums, it was a mistake for this forum to divide states between regions.  There is a lot of information that applies statewide  and would be best if Ohio remained in one region and not split in two.

Ditto for IN, IL and PA which is split with the Northeast region.

But as the forum has now existed for a number of years, it would be difficult to reorganize all of the old threads to fit in a new nomenclature, so the divisions that exist will remain.

My division would be:

New England
Mid-Atlantic: NY, NJ, PA
DelMarVa: DE,MD,VA,WV,DC
Southeast: NC,SC,GA,FL,AL,MS,TN,KY
Mid-south: AR,LA,OK,TX
Midwest: OH,IN,IL,MI,WI
Plains: ND,SD,NE,KS, MO, IA, MN
Mountain West: ID,MT,WY,UT,CO,AZ,NM,NV
Pac Coast: AK,HI,WA,OR,CA

vtk

Draft access management study for US 42 between London and Delaware: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D06/projects/Documents/US42AMStudy_ReportOnly_DraftAug2015.pdf

The interesting bits start around page 60 or so. Basically, recommendations include minor driveway changes, a couple of new signals, turn lanes (including miles of TWLTL), possibly one or two roundabouts in Plain City, a longer five-lane section near US 33, and eventually frontage/backage roads.

cl94

Quote from: mrsman on September 20, 2015, 08:23:04 AM
In my opinion, and I know I've mentioned this before in one of the general forums, it was a mistake for this forum to divide states between regions.  There is a lot of information that applies statewide  and would be best if Ohio remained in one region and not split in two.

But as the forum has now existed for a number of years, it would be difficult to reorganize all of the old threads to fit in a new nomenclature, so the divisions that exist will remain.

My division would be:

New England

"Mid-Atlantic" is a weird thing as well because that is dependent on who you ask. As far as the general definition goes, the heart of the Mid-Atlantic region is Maryland. While we hate Boston, New England issues are more relevant to New York and separating New York from Connecticut would likely result in some of the thread issues we see today over in Ohio and the like, probably more so because you'd be cutting through the immediate New York metro area. I'd combine your mid-Atlantic category with New England under the current "Northeast", but include all of Pennsylvania. Otherwise, I like it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

route17fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjM1Z4wjorM

From 1963, The Ohio Highway Patrol made a safety film and it is a TREASURE TROVE of old stuff - increment panel signs, cut out US 250, OH 89 shields, among others. It's kind of tacky, but it is still neat from an old sign perspective, and the point it tries to drive home is valid.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

mrsman

Quote from: cl94 on September 28, 2015, 03:37:11 PM
Quote from: mrsman on September 20, 2015, 08:23:04 AM

My division would be:

New England

"Mid-Atlantic" is a weird thing as well because that is dependent on who you ask. As far as the general definition goes, the heart of the Mid-Atlantic region is Maryland. While we hate Boston, New England issues are more relevant to New York and separating New York from Connecticut would likely result in some of the thread issues we see today over in Ohio and the like, probably more so because you'd be cutting through the immediate New York metro area. I'd combine your mid-Atlantic category with New England under the current "Northeast", but include all of Pennsylvania. Otherwise, I like it.

My main reasoning for splitting NY, NJ, and PA from New England is to keep the number of threads in any one forum about equal.  With the two forums combined, there would be a lot of posts in the Northeast forum (just as there is now). 

Under my scheme the following large metro areas may be divided into more than one forum:

NYC (CT suburbs in New England forum)
Philly (some consider Wilmington DE to be in Greater Philly)
Memphis (AR suburbs are in mid-south)
Louisville (IN is in Midwest)
Cincinnatti (KY is in southeast)
Duluth, MN is in a separate region from Superior, WI
St. Louis (MO is in Plains, IL is in Midwest)

Yet despite these divisions, I still believe it is better to avoid splitting states into two regions.

civeng

Is there a way for each state's general discussion to appear in each region?  One discussion accessible from multiple regions?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.