News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

photos of old signs on the internet

Started by agentsteel53, January 28, 2009, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

More oldies from Philadelphia...

That's supposed to read 14 MPH

Cast iron street sign along the Ben Franklin Pkwy (not Lower Merion Twp)

And something resembling railroad crossing lights in the middle of an intersection
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

agentsteel53

I don't see the railroad crossing lights.  where are they in the photo?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Hot Rod Hootenanny

NE2

Civil defense route in New York:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CanesFan27

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

gotta love those old-style Ohio arrows!

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

agentsteel53

that looks like the arrow element is separately riveted onto the diamond blank!

jake@aaroads.com

Hot Rod Hootenanny

cpzilliacus

Anyone seen any images of the once-common "CAUTION CURVES" green signs that were once somewhat common on the E-W Mainline of the Pennsylvania Turnpike?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 02, 2012, 11:13:43 PM
California classics from Facebook

It'd be hard to go slow on those curves.

Um, where were we?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Steve on November 03, 2012, 05:45:25 PM
It'd be hard to go slow on those curves.

Um, where were we?
Some nursing home in Orange Co.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Found on a side street, just off the Eisenhower Expressway in Chicago:

It was definitely installed sometime before the mid-1970s.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

there's several of those 18x18 I-90s in that stretch.  I think they date back to the late 50s or early 60s.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on November 09, 2012, 07:28:10 AM

ihateyouihateyou i was just there and no one told me ihateyou

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on November 09, 2012, 05:19:30 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 09, 2012, 07:28:10 AM

(Image)

ihateyouihateyou i was just there and no one told me ihateyou

I found this one quite by accident as I was parking along Harrison.  Looked up, and saw it just above where I parked.  It was fairly well hidden by the trees along the street.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Another classic from someone's Facebook collection

Caption with the photo...
QuoteThis "Death Thermometer" was placed at the intersection of 4th and Westlake in 1940 by the Seattle Traffic and Safety Council. The little boy atop the car was 'Safety Pete', the official mascot.

ARMOURERERIC

thenetwork

Quote from: NE2 on November 09, 2012, 12:13:59 AM
http://vintageportland.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/harbor-drive-1962/

Lots of good reasons for posting this pic:

1) Depending on what side of the mainline you're on, it's a left AND/OR right exit.
2) Sign Errors: 2 Harbor Drive signs, with one being flip-flopped.
3) Best Of Signs:  Self explanatory.

NE2

I think the leftmost sign was over an onramp, not the mainline.

agentsteel53

Quote from: thenetwork on November 13, 2012, 11:10:59 PM

Lots of good reasons for posting this pic:

1) Depending on what side of the mainline you're on, it's a left AND/OR right exit.
2) Sign Errors: 2 Harbor Drive signs, with one being flip-flopped.
3) Best Of Signs:  Self explanatory.

also, that '60 Impala.   :sombrero:  '59 ain't bad either.

can anyone tell me what that small European-looking car is?  closest to the camera of all the cars which are fully visible.

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 14, 2012, 10:01:02 AM
can anyone tell me what that small European-looking car is?  closest to the camera of all the cars which are fully visible.

Yep.

It's a Renault Dauphine.

The car was exported from France to the North American market in the late 1950's and early 1960's in relatively large numbers, and at one time, was somewhat common, but it was never able to effectively compete with the Volkswagen Beetle (like the Beetle, the Dauphine had an engine mounted in the rear, though the Dauphine's engine was water-cooled). 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ARMOURERERIC

From my research:  The rightmost set of lanes is from the Baldock Freeway, a precursor to I-5, and an later addition to the existing Harbor Drive that you see in the middle, the ramp accessable from both goes to Clay Street, just about everything in this pic was demolished around 1975, since 5 was routed across the bridge and up the other side of the river.  In this pic, the center NB lanes of Harbor and the rightmost NB lanes of the Baldock merge just beyon this interchange, with Harbor predating Baldock by about 10 years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.