photos of old signs on the internet

Started by agentsteel53, January 28, 2009, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

The CT Turnpike sign sets a lower bound at 1958. Following US 6 to its intersection with the Turnpike would have been a little fruitless; they don't meet until the Turnpike's end at the Rhode Island state line. The shortest route to the Turnpike is CT 32.

The CT 32 and 89 signs: were they shaded or just dark? Starting around 1950, for a few years, CT 32 signs were white on blue in some city locations; and CT 89 was white on orange.

CT 89 was cancelled in this area in December 1964, in favor of CT 289 and CT 195.

I tried to locate this intersection today; seems like possibly Bridge St at Main St. But the building shown in the right might be gone.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Mapmikey

Quote from: kurumi on September 27, 2018, 02:08:55 AM

I tried to locate this intersection today; seems like possibly Bridge St at Main St. But the building shown in the right might be gone.

You have this intersection identified correctly...the building is still there
https://goo.gl/maps/ZmATBCWs9kv

seicer

https://goo.gl/maps/fnQ9UB3tBjo

Serving an old automobile plant that's since been torn down and the ramps closed.

--

https://goo.gl/maps/SziMnL7rg9z

I'm sure this Clearview sign got mileage when it was installed not long before the plant closed!

--

https://goo.gl/maps/z2gdHZjiWZu

In general, the US 12 freeway and other roads around the old plant have been right-sized and completely redone!

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

swiz_01

Hello all!

First time poster here, but I'd like to share some pics of old signs I have taken on my travels around my homeland of Western Canada.

Some old Saskatchewan signs from before they had the current blue design.
Looking east at corner of Hwy. 271 & Hwy. 724, west of Maple Creek, Saskatchewan:

Looking west at corner of Hwy. 321 & Hwy. 21 at Liebenthal, Saskatchewan:

This interesting set up is found on the intersection of Hwy. 884 & Township Road 230, north of Jenner, Alberta.  It is interesting because Hwy. 557 does not exist anymore as a provincially maintained highway.

This signs were dated on the back as well.

An ancient looking sign found east of the ghost town of Faraway, Alberta, which is north of Rocky Mountain House, Alberta.  Located at the intersection of Hwy. 53 & Range Road 54 (The Downey Rd.)

And an ancient looking yield sign found in the backwoods west of Bearberry, Alberta, at Range Road 80 & Township Road 335A.

jakeroot

Quote from: swiz_01 on October 14, 2018, 04:26:24 PM
Hello all!

First time poster here, but I'd like to share some pics of old signs I have taken on my travels around my homeland of Western Canada.
And an ancient looking yield sign found in the backwoods west of Bearberry, Alberta, at Range Road 80 & Township Road 335A.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh542/devin_drozdz/Devin2%20-%20127_zps3qxxbwme.jpg

That's fantastic! Yield signs with writing is a rare sight in Canada. Never mind a left-over classic like that.

Alps

I suggest a cross post to the Canada board!

ipeters61

I was in suburban Baltimore and found some interesting signs there:

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Lively

Quote from: kurumi on September 27, 2018, 02:08:55 AM
The CT Turnpike sign sets a lower bound at 1958. Following this comprehensive review of NordVPN and US 6 to its intersection with the Turnpike would have been a little fruitless; they don't meet until the Turnpike's end at the Rhode Island state line. The shortest route to the Turnpike is CT 32.

The CT 32 and 89 signs: were they shaded or just dark? Starting around 1950, for a few years, CT 32 signs were white on blue in some city locations; and CT 89 was white on orange.

CT 89 was cancelled in this area in December 1964, in favor of CT 289 and CT 195.

Those look really battered. Love it. Great find, Peter.

kurumi

From "Building Route 95 - Part 1" and Part 2, Hopkinton [R.I.] Historical Association. Several historical photos of RI 3, RI 138, CT 184, and I-95 construction.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

zzyzx

formulanone

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Photo by Finis Mitchell. Pub. by M & R Photos, Rock Springs WY. 1960-1980. (Intersection of Elk, Center and Bridger). Photo courtesy of the Rock Springs Historical Museum.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Old US 62 Caddo, OK

Glenpool. OK

Downtown Birmingham, AL
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on March 10, 2019, 11:45:11 AM
Quote from: zzyzx on December 07, 2018, 05:40:21 PM
Screenshot from this video from the PA Turnpike:

https://i.imgur.com/fm3YOlP.png

Proof that people parked in stupid places before disco music.

Why did they put such important signs in the gore area? Surely there was an expectation that people might have to slow down or stop to assess which maneuver was correct, especially when freeways were first built, and demanded fast-reading skills that drivers, then, may not have innately possessed (as I think we see now).

ipeters61

I was looking through some of my photos and found this set of shields in Portland ME back in November 2018.

Also, here's an embossed speed limit sign from a shopping center in Norristown PA that I took in July 2016.

Instagram | Clinched Map

formulanone

luokou

wanderer2575

Trumbull Street at I-75 in downtown Detroit.  Old Tiger Stadium is ahead on the right.

Verlanka

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 31, 2019, 02:06:35 AM
Trumbull Street at I-75 in downtown Detroit.  Old Tiger Stadium is ahead on the right.

Wow, that I-75 shield looks faded. :wow:

J3ebrules

I've passed this sign a few times and wondered as to its date - I know that AAA used to post these predominantly in the 1910's - 1920's, but it just seems so... new? It's almost in TOO good condition? It's at the end of King's Highway in Haddonfield, NJ. Does anyone have an idea if this was a real original AAA sign from the 1920's?

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Kniwt

In the new article "35 vintage photos taken by the EPA reveal what American cities looked like before pollution was regulated," the lead photo is a 1974 shot of Denver with some classic old-school CDOT signs:
https://www.businessinsider.com/what-us-cities-looked-like-before-epa-regulated-pollution-2019-8

ModernDayWarrior

Found this while watching a documentary on the Glen Canyon Dam:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.