News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

photos of old signs on the internet

Started by agentsteel53, January 28, 2009, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 05, 2010, 06:20:09 AM
PA still has some button copy.  Check Philly or Pittsburgh, for example, where it's the rule instead of the exception.

Just take the Liberty Bridge into town...it was full of button copy in December...didn't take any photos though.  And there should still be a bunch on 279 and the surrounding surface streets on the North Shore.

Ian

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 05, 2010, 07:41:00 AM
PA still has some button copy.  Check Philly or Pittsburgh, for example, where it's the rule instead of the exception.

Just take the Liberty Bridge into town...it was full of button copy in December...didn't take any photos though.  And there should still be a bunch on 279 and the surrounding surface streets on the North Shore.

The West Chester By-Pass still has some original buttoncopy.

PA still has plenty of buttoncopy. It isn't that rare, at least in my area.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mightyace

PA still has some button copy.  Check Philly or Pittsburgh, for example, where it's the rule instead of the exception.

Around Bloomsburg, at Christmas, it is disappearing but not quickly.  It looks like the signs are only taken down when they need to be replaced.  I have some photos that I haven't posted yet of the Buckhorn interchange (Exit 234, PA 42/44) off of I-80.  The control points sign on the WB exit are still original button copy while the EB control points sign is Clearview!

But they are definitely in the minority around my home town.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 05, 2010, 07:41:00 AM
And there should still be a bunch on 279 and the surrounding surface streets on the North Shore.

I-279 itself has no button copy.
EXCEPT one sign going onto I-279 from PA-65 that I know of.
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.448547,-80.011223&spn=0,359.993032&z=18&layer=c&cbll=40.448543,-80.011102&panoid=9RA-3lBUhbBysSVFAtcUfA&cbp=12,94.34,,0,-10.73
I have a better picture of that one, but I can't find it right now.

There is however tons of button copy all around the Mellon Arena. :)

Hellfighter

Found a cutout!

it's in an undisclosed location.  Dick Cheney's house, perhaps.

Mr_Northside

I can't speak for Philly, and I'm not sure how wide an area you're thinking of for Pittsburgh, but I don't know that I'd say that B.C. is the rule instead of the exception in Pittsburgh anymore.  (At least, not with the sign replacements related to the I-376 redesignation)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 12, 2010, 10:57:11 AM

I can't speak for Philly, and I'm not sure how wide an area you're thinking of for Pittsburgh, but I don't know that I'd say that B.C. is the rule instead of the exception in Pittsburgh anymore.  (At least, not with the sign replacements related to the I-376 redesignation)

Well, we can say it's the rule for I-579.  I think the only non-button copy signs for I-579 are at the I-279/I-579 split on the Northside.

agentsteel53

nice M-53 find!  That's a City of Detroit issue; note the rounded corners.  There were some M-3s like it up as late as 2006.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

thenetwork

Quote from: thenetwork on March 04, 2010, 09:16:58 PM

They had a few button-copy on US 6/50 near Mack (UT/CO Border), those have been replaced...Haven't traversed US 6 through Rifle in months, but the only one I remember seeing recently was a Button-Copy Glenwood Springs City Limit sign on Old US 6 west of the West Glenwood Exit. 

C-DOT just got that Glenwood Springs sign too over the last few weeks...And yet they still lead US-6 into a dead-end road!!! In fact, they ADDED a "To US-6" sign at CO-82 that leads to said dead end -- if you follow all the signs.

thenetwork

Here's one that as of yesterday (3/20/10) still survives in Eastern Utah just off of I-70. 

First Generation Button Copy from the early 70s:

Ian

Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

what did Utah use before the early 1970s?  the earliest photos I have are late 1970s shots from Michael Summa and they all show button copy.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

A reader sent me the photograph above trying to locate where in Pennsylvania it would have been taken.

The photo and more details about the general physical location can be found on the blog:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/03/where-was-this-old-sign-photo-taken.html

barcncpt44

Here is a photo of an old yellow yield sign; snapped in rural Blount County, Alabama

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

PAHighways

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 21, 2010, 08:57:43 PM
A reader sent me the photograph above trying to locate where in Pennsylvania it would have been taken.

The photo and more details about the general physical location can be found on the blog:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/03/where-was-this-old-sign-photo-taken.html

It's the Cresson Ridge Summit, just east of the town on Admiral Peary Highway near the Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site in Cambria County.

Here is the Google Street View of the location as it looks now.

rickmastfan67

The Unknown Avenger

Quote from: Hellfighter on March 11, 2010, 09:31:11 PM
Found a cutout!

it's in an undisclosed location.  Dick Cheney's house, perhaps.

HA HA HA HA HA Maybe there are others in George W. Bush's house along with 100 in Dick Cheney's house.

Ian

Youtube l Flickr

US71

New Orleans (taken last month)

This one is about to disappear: I-49 is getting sign upgrades   :thumbdown:

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Quote from: US71 on April 18, 2010, 11:01:52 PM

New Orleans (taken last month)

Looks like Roosevelt Blvd. in Philly - are those two same-direction roadways next to each other?  Are there a lot of accidents?

Alex

A pic I took of it in 2002.

Its just a six-lane parkway. The sign is posted for the U.S. 90 turn from Gentilly Boulevard onto New Orleans Avenue.

Hellfighter

Boom, I found it. They said it existed, but no one had proof. Well here it is...

...it's not the best, but you can see the BUS SPUR I-696 shield, as well as a I-94 shield. I'll try to get a much better looking photo, I'll have to encode it in 1080p.

bugo

Quote from: Hellfighter on April 23, 2010, 12:54:18 AM
Boom, I found it. They said it existed, but no one had proof. Well here it is...

Judging from the dash that is a circa 1965 Chevy Chevelle.  Am I right?

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: PennDOTFan on April 18, 2010, 10:38:29 PM
Shot these a week ago:

How does the top of the sign get torn off?  I can see the bottom from a truck but the top?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jjakucyk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.