News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

photos of old signs on the internet

Started by agentsteel53, January 28, 2009, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

only on a per-direction basis.  west yellow, east blue, north blue, south red
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 15, 2010, 11:05:53 AM
The only "custom" fonts I am aware is/was the Pittsburgh Department of Public Works - which both of the signs in the photos were installed by - and the Allegheny County Sign Shop.  I don't recall/know of anything being distinctive for Pennsylvania as a whole.

These are some examples, but I've always thought that PA used some unusual fonts for route markers, especially the 2's and the 4's, and I've seen them all over the state.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on December 19, 2010, 12:31:37 AM

These are some examples, but I've always thought that PA used some unusual fonts for route markers, especially the 2's and the 4's, and I've seen them all over the state.

And 9's.  They're finally using MUTCD fonts but I wonder how they were using their variant for so much longer than any other state.

CanesFan27

well hell...I guess when you grew up in PA and so used to seeing them..you just don't consider them as 'custom'!

Ian

I think PennDOT may still be using that font. I saw some brand new PA 352 shields installed with the font (they weren't new old stock, as they had the "10" printed on the bottom of the shield) in Lima.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

njroadhorse

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 19, 2010, 06:19:31 PM
I think PennDOT may still be using that font. I saw some brand new PA 352 shields installed with the font (they weren't new old stock, as they had the "10" printed on the bottom of the shield) in Lima.
Well some of the new ones in SEPA have another weird custom font that has what looks like way more narrow numbers.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

D-Dey65

Has anybody else ever seen Fire Station warning signs that are red and white instead of yellow and black? Some 30-odd years ago, I saw one on Hulse Landing Road in Wading River, New York near Wildwood State Park. I'm so sorry I didn't have a camera on me back then.

US71

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 20, 2010, 03:53:59 PM
Has anybody else ever seen Fire Station warning signs that are red and white instead of yellow and black? Some 30-odd years ago, I saw one on Hulse Landing Road in Wading River, New York near Wildwood State Park. I'm so sorry I didn't have a camera on me back then.

About 10-15 years ago in Bentonville, AR... but I never got a photo. :(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Mapmikey

You mean like this?

I found this in Ivanhoe, VA in Sept 2010.

Mapmikey
Co-curator Virginia Hwys Project
www.vahighways.com

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Old Signs I saw in Delaware yesterday

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 20, 2010, 09:07:19 PM
You mean like this?

I found this in Ivanhoe, VA in Sept 2010.

Mapmikey
Co-curator Virginia Hwys Project
www.vahighways.com
Not at all. It's more like the standard W11-8 signs:
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2003r1r2/part2/fig2c-09_longdesc.htm
but the background is red, and the fire truck is white.

MDOTFanFB

1961-spec I-75 and cutout U.S. 10 signs on Trumbull Street in Detroit, both with the "MICHIGAN" state name! Probably dates to when I-75 was completed behind Tiger Stadium. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.335223,-83.069086&spn=0,0.006845&z=18&layer=c&cbll=42.335297,-83.069128&panoid=ztcCvLVpsUj2OLiRVc_a4Q&cbp=12,206.39,,2,-7.44

agentsteel53

there was a second US-10 shield across the street until a couple years ago.

jake@aaroads.com

MDOTFanFB

However though, if you're in Detroit, you will never find a way onto U.S. 10, because it was scaled back to Bay City in 1986. It was replaced by M-10 in Detroit.

Brian556

MDOTFanFB

One of the button-copy signs I got pics of today:

Roadsign199qc

Hi!

florida

^^ That's what PA secretly wants to do with US 220!
So many roads...so little time.

US71

I don't think this sign is that old, but it's one of the last button-copys near Sallisaw.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: US71 on January 02, 2011, 01:40:25 PM

I don't think this sign is that old, but it's one of the last button-copys near Sallisaw.

That sign has faded from a brown color to a greenish-red color!

Mikeroburst

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on December 24, 2010, 09:20:48 AM
However though, if you're in Detroit, you will never find a way onto U.S. 10, because it was scaled back to Bay City in 1986. It was replaced by M-10 in Detroit.

Here's the old street view of the other US-10 shield:

It looks like all traces of it are gone now that Detroit is mostly on high-res street view. There was a time a few months ago when google was transitioning to the high-res imagery in Detroit when you could see that shield in one frame, then step one frame away and sadly see it gone in the high-res. There are a handful of other MICHIGAN/US 10 shields (not standalone cutouts) on "little green signs" throughout the city if you poke around. Not sure if those were put up by MDOT or the city though.   
Mike

agentsteel53

yep, those little green signs are City of Detroit jobs and date back to before the decommissioning.

jake@aaroads.com

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 03, 2011, 01:01:13 PM
yep, those little green signs are City of Detroit jobs and date back to before the decommissioning.

They were probably put up sometime in the 1970's (or 1980)

BTW I have found an old street sign in the same city! That happens to be 1950's (or 60's) vintage black-on-white signs, newer Detroit street signs are white-on-green. The stop sign below is newer. Here's the street view: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.380889,-83.275133&spn=0,0.01369&z=17&layer=c&cbll=42.380808,-83.275134&panoid=jcWyI1uuhKsKQQnlP-APjg&cbp=12,56.67,,2,0.47

Roadsign199qc

Hi!

jemacedo9

PennDOT still uses the PA font for route signs today...  District 6 subcontracts out their signs, I think they are replaced roughly every 10 years, and I believe the company is a NJ-based company.  I'm usually not happy with the contractor-manufactured signs...the keystone angles are off, the fonts have changed each installation, etc. 

The PennDOT logo is at the bottom-center of all PennDOT-manufactured signs. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.