News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wooden Bridges (Except covered ones)

Started by index, September 07, 2018, 02:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

froggie

Most covered bridges in my experience would fall under this.

Brandon

Eagle River Bridge on M-26 in Eagle River, Michigan.  Actually replaced a metal truss bridge (now used for pedestrians and bicyclists and viewing the falls) next to it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Max Rockatansky

One of my favorites is an unnamed wooden vehicle bridge on the north end of Summerland Key just off the Overseas Highway that I used to run to from time to time:

1520698_10202125056720506_1180451723_n by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The modern Lainer Bridge has a wooden deck but is on the location of a traditionally wooden crossing of the Withlacoochee River near Dade City, FL:

IMG_0047 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

index

Quote from: froggie on September 07, 2018, 03:11:32 PM
Most covered bridges in my experience would fall under this.

Oops. I had actually intended to exclude covered ones in the post title when I thought about this post a few days ago, apparently I forgot. You just inadvertently reminded me of that, so I guess I'll change the title.

Counties traveled

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

The Oldtown Low Water Toll Bridge across the Potomac River isn't the most confidence-inspiring bridge deck:

(I should note the picture is from July 2013 and the bridge probably has a different deck now after a flood swept the bridge away either later in 2013 or sometime in 2014.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

HTM Duke

Long gone now, this bridge spanned the CSX tracks on Gunston Cove Rd in the Lorton, VA area.  After it was closed to traffic in 2004 due to unsafe conditions, it was unclear as to who was responsible for costs to either repair or remove the bridge.  It was eventually removed sometime after 2012 due to the price tag of repairs.

This article goes into more detail and a few more pictures:
https://patch.com/virginia/lorton/who-owns-the-gunston-cove-road-bridge
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

froggie

US71

Does laminated wood count?

US 16/16A near Keystone, SD

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on September 09, 2018, 07:02:13 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 07, 2018, 11:53:24 PM
What about the Oliver Bridge in WI/MN?

Very much not a wooden bridge.
Could have sworn the bottom deck was wooden at some point.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

The Briceburg Bridge near CA 140 over the Merced River has a wooden deck:

IMG_3654 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_3651 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

index

Quote from: HTM Duke on September 09, 2018, 02:29:13 AM
Long gone now, this bridge spanned the CSX tracks on Gunston Cove Rd in the Lorton, VA area.  After it was closed to traffic in 2004 due to unsafe conditions, it was unclear as to who was responsible for costs to either repair or remove the bridge.  It was eventually removed sometime after 2012 due to the price tag of repairs.

This article goes into more detail and a few more pictures:
https://patch.com/virginia/lorton/who-owns-the-gunston-cove-road-bridge

What a coincidence, this bridge was in the exact same neighborhood I used to live in. If I still lived there today I could walk down to the site where the bridge used to be in about a minute.

And here's that pontoon bridge.

http://bridgehunter.com/nc/brunswick/190198/

The locals had tried to preserve it, I believe, but to no avail. Sad that it was one of the only examples left in the whole country and it gets replaced.

Counties traveled

HTM Duke

After digging through the memory banks, I came up with one more.  Southwest of Lynchburg and north of Lynch Station is this bridge on Tardy Mountain Rd over a set of railroad tracks.  VDOT wants to replace it, but as of this post has no money allocated for it.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

ErmineNotyours

Former BC 99a, King George Blvd over the Nicomekl River, Surrey.  Not only is it wooden, but the lane split is between traffic going the same direction.  The other bridge has undivided two-way traffic.  I don't know why they need two northbound lanes.  It's since been turned back to local authority, so now it's Surrey's problem.  Google Street View.

Wooden Bridge, Surrey, BC by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Roadrunner75

Quote from: index on September 07, 2018, 02:49:35 PM
There are also two one lane bridges in New Jersey that are wooden.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5326327,-74.3204218,3a,75y,165.09h,81.96t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVTVHHhoaiU1SNCnuBT_4Bw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DVTVHHhoaiU1SNCnuBT_4Bw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D239.3542%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5198635,-74.3191699,3a,60y,157.8h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sepBel1CXpwB16EeO_RgkOQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've driven these bridges a few times as they are not far from me, and it's a great little ride out into the bay.  This was originally supposed to continue further south to Atlantic City before they gave up on completing this route.  These two bridges are signal controlled to alternate the direction of traffic, but I've encountered another car coming the other way (I made him back up after a brief standoff - It was green at least for me when I started and I was a little more past the halfway point!).  People fishing on these bridges also make it a little challenge to get across without taking anyone out.

sparker

Quote from: US71 on September 09, 2018, 08:06:31 AM
Does laminate wood count?

US 16/16A near Keystone, SD

I should hope so!  Let's hope the structure is reasonably fire-resistant (no wood product/structure is completely "fireproof") considering the wildfires that have become commonplace in mountainous areas of the West.  Otherwise, a laminate wood structure should hold up quite well for at least several decades (the stuff is pretty stress-resistant as well). 

index

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 09, 2018, 09:30:55 PM
Quote from: index on September 07, 2018, 02:49:35 PM
There are also two one lane bridges in New Jersey that are wooden.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5326327,-74.3204218,3a,75y,165.09h,81.96t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVTVHHhoaiU1SNCnuBT_4Bw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DVTVHHhoaiU1SNCnuBT_4Bw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D239.3542%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5198635,-74.3191699,3a,60y,157.8h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sepBel1CXpwB16EeO_RgkOQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've driven these bridges a few times as they are not far from me, and it's a great little ride out into the bay.  This was originally supposed to continue further south to Atlantic City before they gave up on completing this route.  These two bridges are signal controlled to alternate the direction of traffic, but I've encountered another car coming the other way (I made him back up after a brief standoff - It was green at least for me when I started and I was a little more past the halfway point!).  People fishing on these bridges also make it a little challenge to get across without taking anyone out.

I wonder how quick those little wooden bridges would have been replaced, had the route been completed. To my understanding it'd be a pretty high traffic route, as it's more direct, however, I wouldn't know, as I don't know the area. The crossing of the Great Bay would have been an interesting one.

By the looks of it, some of the other two lane bridges on there have wooden supports. The whole thing also would have made for an interesting route if it were totally completed.

Counties traveled

Bitmapped

In Monongalia County, West Virginia, a wooden through arch bridge was built on Buckeye Road over Dunkard Creek about 2005: https://goo.gl/maps/SEqZC86rGiw

The bridge originally had a deck made of composite materials, but it did not hold up well. It was replaced after a couple years with a more conventional deck.

ErmineNotyours

Woodcock Road over Dungeness River near Squim, Washington.  What struck me about this bridge is that they recreate a modern Jersey barrier profile in wood. 

Woodcock Road bridge over Dungeness River by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

sparker

They're not road/highway bridges, but many of the shorter bridges on the UP/former SP main line paralleling CA 99 in the San Joaquin & Sacramento valleys are of wood construction (deck on pilings); while likely not the original structures from the 1870's, they have held up quite well considering that line is one of the most heavily trafficked in the western U.S.  Some of the longer river bridges (e.g the Kings and San Joaquin river crossings) were until recently composite wood/steel construction; the outer spans were built on wood pilings sunk into the riverbank, while the spans over the river channels themselves were steel girders atop stone bents; over the last 30 years those bridges have been rebuilt as steel and concrete structures. 

US71

Quite a few in Pennsylvania if you know where to look :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ErmineNotyours

Along SR 410, southeast of Enumclaw, Washington sits a wooden bridge between a Weyehaeuser mill and scales.  The mill and scales are gone, but the bridge remains.  Since they deal with lots of wood products, it made sense to build the bridge out of wood.

Enumclaw Mill Bridge by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Enumclaw Mill Bridge, top by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Beltway

I didn't realize until now that part of this wooden bridge was disassembled and reassembled at Walt Disney World.

The old Wabasso Bridge was built in 1927 and crossed the Indian River Lagoon between the small town of Wabasso on the mainland and Orchid Island north of Vero Beach, Florida.  A new high-level bridge was built and opened in 1970.

When we lived in the area in the 60s we drove across the wooden bridge a number of times.  The timbers rattled and seemed to move some as the car moved across.  I did cross the new bridge on one of my later trips to Florida/

The Old Wabasso Bridge Finds a New Home at Walt Disney World
https://www.florida-backroads-travel.com/the-old-wabasso-bridge-finds-a-new-home-at-walt-disney-world.html

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Cross-posting from another thread...

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2017, 12:11:30 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 06, 2017, 12:57:21 PM
On Saturday, my wife and I took a short trip to Arkansas for our 11th anniversary.  On the way there, we took a scenic route, and that included AR-187 across the Little Golden Gate Bridge in the town of Beaver.  My wife has a fear of bridges over water, so I made sure not to tell her about this bridge until we were almost upon it.  She was brave:  even though the sound of the boards clunking underneath our car unnerved her, she was the one who took the pictures.  The bridge is one lane with wooden decking.  And yes, it's part of a state highway.

With the recent flooding in the area, Beaver Bridge looks a little different now...

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.