News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest differences in maintenance/road design between state DOT divisions

Started by index, September 12, 2019, 03:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 30, 2019, 05:59:57 PM
* SB I-55/WB I-70 at I-255
* NB I-57/WB I-64 prior to the north split at Mount Vernon
* Isn't there a new one on NB I-55 shortly before I-155 splits off?
* SB I-55/EB I-74 prior to the southern split in Bloomington
* EB I-74/EB I-280 west of the I-80 interchange
* WB I-474 approaching the I-74/IL 6 interchange
* WB US 20 approaching the Business 20 interchange on the east side of Freeport
Wow...thats more than I thought!

The I-57/I-64 one, I have no excuse for not remembering

I-474 WB to IL 6 was on my daily commute when I lived in Peoria

And I've driven I-55 multiple times CHI<->STL...but the Bloomington South Split sign didn't stick to memory, whereas the I-55 NB approach sign to the Southern I-55/I-72 Interchange did

Still not sure IDOT D1 uses Diagrammatics, tho. ISTHA does, but they are their own baby

J N Winkler

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 30, 2019, 10:49:21 PMStill not sure IDOT D1 uses Diagrammatics, tho. ISTHA does, but they are their own baby

Two APL diagrammatics (to be installed on behalf of Illinois DOT) are coming as part of an ongoing revamp of the I-90/I-190/I-294 complex near O'Hare.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Brandon

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 01, 2019, 12:33:46 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 30, 2019, 10:49:21 PMStill not sure IDOT D1 uses Diagrammatics, tho. ISTHA does, but they are their own baby

Two APL diagrammatics (to be installed on behalf of Illinois DOT) are coming as part of an ongoing revamp of the I-90/I-190/I-294 complex near O'Hare.

Sure they weren't designed by ISTHA and just being installed on the Kennedy by IDOT?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

J N Winkler

Quote from: Brandon on October 01, 2019, 05:44:24 AMSure they weren't designed by ISTHA and just being installed on the Kennedy by IDOT?

That is a possibility, but it would be hard to tell from the plans alone.  Neither sign has a state route shield, which would be probably the easiest differentiator to recognize.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

frankenroad

Quote from: marleythedog on September 16, 2019, 06:33:44 PM

(I think) District 1 along I-75 in has the only labeling of under/overpasses that I'm aware of.

I remember back in the day, when all of I-75 had it. 

Parts of OH-126 in Hamilton County (District 8) have labels on the overpasses.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

TXtoNJ

Signage in the Houston district of TxDOT is noticeably worse than the other divisions. Fewer distance signs, minimal-to-no control cities, minimal signage on arterials where they intersect with freeways.

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 12, 2019, 06:25:11 PM
I will give D9 credit for the use of the SPUI and DDI Interchange designs for sequential Interchanges along I-57 in Marion, at IL 13 and The Hill Ave, South to North

Those are relatively new interchanges, it must be remembered.  Twelve years ago, the interchange at Route 13 was a cloverleaf and The Hill Avenue Morgan Avenue was still being constructed.  Also, the interchange at The Hill Avenue Morgan Avenue was not initially constructed as a DDI, but was reconfigured much more recently, in 2015.

Quote from: debragga on September 16, 2019, 06:40:56 PM
In Texas, the Dallas district doesn't sign any rural 2-lane roads higher than 65mph, while the neighboring Tyler district signs them up to the state maximum of 75mph. It's very noticeable when crossing from Kaufman County to Van Zandt county on TX 243.

Is that a district-level decision, though?  I guess I kind of assumed that was based on a statewide policy tied to county populations.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pink Jazz

Also, in Texas, the El Paso District seems to prefer monotube gantries, while other districts seem to prefer truss gantries.  I just wonder if they want to be more like NMDOT with their gantry style.

roadman65

In Florida the Panhandle (District 3) uses a different blend of asphalt than the Peninsula does.  Their pavements are more red than white like the rest of the state.

Then also NW Florida uses two post speed limit signs on I-10 while the rest of the interstates had one post.  However, now even District 1 uses two posts on I-4 in Polk County since I-4 got widened to six lanes from the original four lanes.

District 4 uses SC and NY style of at intersection guide signs with the mileage number included next to the control cities.  The rest of Florida just uses the city only.  Plus on I-95 they use West Palm Beach over Miami north of West Palm while District 5 and part of District 2 to the north of that district use Miami for the SB control city.  D-4 only starts using Miami once West Palm is reached.   Also D-4 signs US 98 as E-W where all the other districts between Perry and it sign US 98 as N-S.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Revive 755

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 30, 2019, 10:49:21 PM
Still not sure IDOT D1 uses Diagrammatics, tho. ISTHA does, but they are their own baby

I think you are correct on this - I cannot place a single non-APL diagrammatic sign in D1.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 05, 2019, 12:12:42 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 30, 2019, 10:49:21 PM

I think you are correct on this - I cannot place a single non-APL diagrammatic sign in D1.

Because there aren't any in D1 that don't belong to ISTHA.  Even the APLs seem to be connected to an ISTHA road, be it IL-390, the north end of the Tri-State at Russell Road, and the new ones for the Rosemont Interchange.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

SSOWorld

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 13, 2019, 11:49:55 PM

Additionally For District 1:
* Much less use of the city/village boundary signs (example from D-3)
this one from District 2

Especially true.  I've seen them off and on.  Don't expect a single one for Chicago - except for the Skyway.  Want to know if you're in Chicago, watch the streetlight density.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheHighwayMan3561

The only real main difference I have noticed between MN districts is how District 3 (roughly comprising central Minnesota) is the only one who regularly posts mileages on BGSs at junctions, which is a thing I think should be done far more often in the other districts.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 06, 2019, 04:45:56 AM

this one from District 2

Especially true.  I've seen them off and on.  Don't expect a single one for Chicago - except for the Skyway.  Want to know if you're in Chicago, watch the streetlight density.

And streetlight style.  It's unique to Chicago.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on October 06, 2019, 09:22:54 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on October 06, 2019, 04:45:56 AM

this one from District 2

And streetlight style.  It's unique to Chicago.
Pretty much.  Anything in Chicago not having anything to do with the Interstates is not maintained by the state.  This includes Lake Shore Drive.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

index

Reviving this thread with a small difference I noticed living here now:
NCDOT D11 seems to be very behind on quality than the rest of the state, and I'm not talking about due to snow or anything, since we get a disproportionate amount of it here than anywhere else in the South, but in standards. Paint markings are still frequently used and I saw them re-painting the markings on 421 here two or three times so far. There's very little thermoplastic-marked areas in comparison to the rest of the state, although it's not absent.

The little guide signs here that point out the direction of towns also seem to be different than the rest of the state. The layout of them seems less consistent. When beacons are used here they also don't seem to be of the bouncing-ball variety very much, but are just mounted next to each other. There also seem to be very few loop detectors here compared to the rest of the state. A lot of timed signals. Horrible for traffic. The general characteristic feel of NCDOT is still there but there's a few minor differences than what I'm used to seeing.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

SkyPesos

Quote from: marleythedog on September 16, 2019, 06:33:44 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 12, 2019, 04:24:10 PM
For Ohio, signage.
Seems like the districts, outside of the 3-C cities, like to use horizontal direction panels (with extra wide US & Ohio shields in the middle).
NW Ohio (ODOT districts 1 & 2) like to use sign trees, something you don't see in the rest of the state.
ODOT district 2 is also the one that used extra far control cities in the mileage signs along I-75.

District 8 (Cincinnati metro):
Posts a lot of exit gore signs and speed limit signs on a single breakaway signpost
Their exit tabs have much more spacing around them than in D7 (Dayton) and AFAIK the rest of western Ohio.
Blue distance markers in Cincinnati are every tenth of a mile instead of two tenths (though I think their use predates anywhere else in Ohio)
Every BGS gets a blue inventory plaque.

District 7:
Quote from: GCrites80s on September 13, 2019, 09:30:39 PM
District 7 (West Central including Dayton) allows much more unusual bridge designs and interchange finishing than surrounding districts.

I've wondered about this; didn't realize it's a D7 peculiarity. There are instances where two consecutive overpasses were replaced the same year on 75 but have completely different designs.

D7 has numerous exit gore signs that are either one Clearview-one FHWA numeral or missing their exit number. They seem to get taken out so often it's like they stopped caring.

D7 eradicated most of its bridge-mounted signs almost 15 years ago and replaced them with ground-mounted (even on 3+ lane carriageways). I think D8 has recently started replacing them with sign bridges. Maybe this was a change in state standards, but one was either very early or very late to the party.

(I think) District 1 along I-75 in has the only labeling of under/overpasses that I'm aware of.
Adding on, I've noticed that Columbus (D6) and Toledo (D2) heavily prefers using stacked exit gore signs over the "box" ones with the exit number and arrow on a single line. Also, most of the Ohio APL signage (something rare in general for the state) I've seen are also mostly in those two districts.

Pink Jazz

In New Mexico, District 5 (Santa Fe) did a limited trial with Clearview.  It wasn't done in any other NMDOT district.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2019, 06:30:35 PM
West Virginia is pretty uniform across the state, although a couple of places will sign county routes with tiny circular markers not much wider than the posts they're mounted on.

The tiny markers are exceedingly rare across all WVDOH districts. In general, things are pretty uniform across all WVDOH districts. Districts 5 and 9 tend to stand out more for whatever reason:

- District 5 (Eastern Panhandle) uses concrete travel lanes and with asphalt shoulders on new 4-lane construction. Other districts have gotten away from that, going all-asphalt or all-concrete.

- District 5 is also much more generous with road name signage. In most districts, signs will only be installed showing the name/number of one side road. District 5 often signs the name/number for all legs of an intersection involving county routes.

- District 9 (SE WV) likes to pave a lot of county routes with a single paved lane down the center and wide gravel shoulders on both sides. Traffic generally drives down the paved middle unless there is an approaching car, where each side will keep one wheel on asphalt and move the other over onto the gravel.

- District 9 also likes to use square Telespar sign posts. Other districts generally just use U-channel.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2019, 06:30:35 PM
West Virginia is pretty uniform across the state, although a couple of places will sign county routes with tiny circular markers not much wider than the posts they're mounted on.

The tiny markers are exceedingly rare across all WVDOH districts. In general, things are pretty uniform across all WVDOH districts. Districts 5 and 9 tend to stand out more for whatever reason:

- District 5 (Eastern Panhandle) uses concrete travel lanes and with asphalt shoulders on new 4-lane construction. Other districts have gotten away from that, going all-asphalt or all-concrete.

- District 5 is also much more generous with road name signage. In most districts, signs will only be installed showing the name/number of one side road. District 5 often signs the name/number for all legs of an intersection involving county routes.

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 16, 2021, 08:23:09 PM
- District 9 (SE WV) likes to pave a lot of county routes with a single paved lane down the center and wide gravel shoulders on both sides. Traffic generally drives down the paved middle unless there is an approaching car, where each side will keep one wheel on asphalt and move the other over onto the gravel.

Pretty common in WVDOH District 7 in Northcentral West Virginia as well.  In some cases, there was not sufficient space for a shoulder on one or both sides when the road was first paved, and the shoulders have needed to be added later (usually with retained fill on the cliffside).  My grandfather once got sideswiped by a semi-truck where he stopped too close to the unmarked one-lane section on a road that he drove daily.  It took 14 or 15 years to correct that particular situation.

US20IL64

"D1 and ISTHA using *Directional* Suburbs and the states of Indiana, Wisconsin, and Iowa as Controls is also a bit unique..."

I-294 north will have Wisconsin or Milwaukee, here and there, for 'pull through' signs. Example, between Balmoral av. exit and I-90 entrance ramps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.