News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

LA-300 in St. Bernard Parish

Started by BridgesToIdealism, July 23, 2020, 06:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BridgesToIdealism

In the process of doing some research, I stumbled upon this interesting situation. Apparently, LA-300 in St. Bernard Parish (near the St. Bernard end, not the Delacroix end) was bypassed by LA-46 in the 1990s. Then, for some reason, LA DOTD placed two barriers in the original road, essentially dividing LA-300 into three dead-end and discontinuous segments, in order to "force" traffic onto the LA-46 bypass. This all comes from external sources and I have not been able to verify this for myself. So my question is, one, is this even true? And two, if so, why the heck would they do something like that and not decommission the state route in the process?
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

Urban Prairie Schooner

I believe the LA 46 bypass of Bayou Road (LA 300) occurred in the early 80s. The bypass was definitely there by the late 80s.

The reason the road was made discontinuous was because the road was deemed dangerous (it is narrow, shoulderless and a bayou parallels it) and thus separated into three segments so it would no longer serve as a through route (it still serves local traffic, of course).  A glance at Streetview can confirm the existence of the barriers.

LA 1245 was specifically constructed to access the middle section and some of the nearby gas plants.

LA 300 is not signed at either end of this segment (though there is signage at the end of LA 1245). I have no idea why the state never dropped it. Louisiana loves its useless state highways I guess.

bwana39

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on July 30, 2020, 10:23:44 PM
I believe the LA 46 bypass of Bayou Road (LA 300) occurred in the early 80s. The bypass was definitely there by the late 80s.

The reason the road was made discontinuous was because the road was deemed dangerous (it is narrow, shoulderless and a bayou parallels it) and thus separated into three segments so it would no longer serve as a through route (it still serves local traffic, of course).  A glance at Streetview can confirm the existence of the barriers.

LA 1245 was specifically constructed to access the middle section and some of the nearby gas plants.

LA 300 is not signed at either end of this segment (though there is signage at the end of LA 1245). I have no idea why the state never dropped it. Louisiana loves its useless state highways I guess.

Louisiana has a set number of lane miles in a given Parish. If a new road is built, the Parish gets to decide where the miles that leave the system come from. Apparently St Barnard wanted them to keep the portions of this road that was bypassed and gave up other lane miles elsewhere.

Sometimes the state will let them trade miles too. So a Parish Road will become a state road and a similar number of lane miles of state road will revert to the parish.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.