News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Welcome to Pennsylvania...Now Pay Up!

Started by PAHighways, May 05, 2010, 03:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

Three legislators from across the state have come up with an idea to raise $472 million: tolls!  Rates would vary from $1 for passenger cars to $5 for trucks which would be paid at staffed plazas on the Interstates at the state line.

Three Legislators Propose $1 Fee on Interstates at Borders

Truvelo

That's something I feel may work. $1 is hardly an objectionable amount and it's so cheap that using an adjacent surface road to avoid the toll wouldn't be worth it.
Speed limits limit life

rickmastfan67

Yeah, and if they do that, they should make a deal with the New York Thruway to collect the I-90 there to save us some money on not building a new plaza. :rolleyes:

RoadWarrior56

I would take the parallel roadway to avoid the toll, just out of principle.

I have no issue paying tolls on roadways or special lanes that were initially constructed as toll facilities and funded that way.

However, I have a real issue paying tolls on a roadway that was built as a free facility, with a toll booth slapped up just to fleece through traffic that don't vote in that state.

Hellfighter

PADOT must be really desperate for money...

akotchi

Would this be in addition to the tolls already in place on I-78 and I-80 entering Pa., collected by other agencies?
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jdb1234

The article does not mention whether I-86 will have a toll or not.

SP Cook

Unfortunatly, as with I-80 idea, this violates federal law.  These individuals are either ignorant of the issue, or have no respect for the Rule of Law.  In either case, a replacement should be arranged in November.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on May 05, 2010, 09:29:50 PM
I would take the parallel roadway to avoid the toll, just out of principle.

I have no issue paying tolls on roadways or special lanes that were initially constructed as toll facilities and funded that way.

However, I have a real issue paying tolls on a roadway that was built as a free facility, with a toll booth slapped up just to fleece through traffic that don't vote in that state.

Off the bat, 80 over the Delaware, if you want to avoid the toll, is a headache. Either you have to Old Mine Road north to the Dingmans Ferry Bridge (a 15-17 mile north bridge (and a toll)) and come back via 209 or go along 46 to Belvidere and cross the Riverton-Belvidere Bridge (toll-less) and come back the long way.

78 over the Delaware as a similar issue, but a nearby fix: Go to the Northampton Street Bridge and cross there from Phillipsburg.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Mr_Northside

QuoteAll the money raised by these entry/exit tolls would be used for upkeep of that particular road, and thus avoid an objection that federal officials had to the previous tolls proposed just for I-80.
At least with this plan, they've wised up enough to state that the money would only be used for the road in question.

QuoteThe toll booths would have human toll collectors -- who would work for PennDOT, not the Turnpike Commission

I'm wondering if this isn't some pandering to say they'd "create jobs".... I can't imagine actually building new "manned" tollbooths at this point. 

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Scott5114

I think they'd make more money charging people to get out of Pennsylvania.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 06, 2010, 10:38:12 PM

They already do that in NJ! (except on the Scudders Falls Bridge and I-287)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Mr. Matté on May 07, 2010, 09:15:21 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 06, 2010, 10:38:12 PM

They already do that in NJ! (except on the Scudders Falls Bridge and I-287)
And the old "Trenton Makes..." Bridge
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

More insightful comment: Wouldn't charging an admission fee to Pennsylvania be unconstitutional, since it could be seen as hindering free travel amongst the states?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

Since only the major highways would be tolled, not every last minor road crossing the state line... I don't see a problem there.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Revive 755

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 09, 2010, 01:08:01 AM
More insightful comment: Wouldn't charging an admission fee to Pennsylvania be unconstitutional, since it could be seen as hindering free travel amongst the states?

Probably not, as in the past, some state borders formed by rivers did not have many free crossings.  Almost every older, pre-interstate era bridge on the Mississippi was toll at one time  (at least in Missouri).

More likely it's one of those things that would depend upon the judge ruling on it.

empirestate

I wonder if this is meant as a serious proposal, or a sort of ploy to simply focus attention on the matter? That is, the tactic of introducing a controversial idea just to keep the discussion going, as in: "Hey, we have a serious problem. Here's our intentionally far-fetched plan; don't like it? Let's hear yours!"

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 09, 2010, 04:21:57 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 09, 2010, 01:08:01 AM

Probably not, as in the past, some state borders formed by rivers did not have many free crossings.  Almost every older, pre-interstate era bridge on the Mississippi was toll at one time  (at least in Missouri).

More likely it's one of those things that would depend upon the judge ruling on it.

Isn't every major bridge crossing into PA from NJ already tolled as it is?  22, 78, 80... have to pay a toll to enter, but you can bugger right on out for free.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

PAHighways

The only major crossing that isn't tolled is the Scudder Falls Bridge on I-95.

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on May 05, 2010, 03:24:26 PM
Three Legislators Propose $1 Fee on Interstates at Borders

QuoteMr. Conklin said tolls are user fees paid by people who drive on -- and cause wear and tear on -- the highways, and he thought it was fair for such motorists to pay what he called modest tolls. He also said that much of the toll money would come from out-of-state drivers passing through Pennsylvania and using state roads, which only state residents now pay to maintain.

That is an inaccurate argument as anyone who buys fuel in Pennsylvania pays money into PennDOT's fund and, possibly, some money from the Federal treasury.  (If PA gets back more than it puts in.)

A more accurate argument would be that out of state drivers pay less than in-state drivers for wear and tear on the roads.

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

thenetwork

I always thought the fairest "Road Use" tax was the state gas tax in PA.  Those who tend to fill up more in PA tend to use the state's roads most often.   :eyebrow:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.