News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Worst county in your state?

Started by Roadgeekteen, November 26, 2020, 12:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: 1 on August 20, 2021, 02:02:04 PM
Have you forgotten what this entire thread was about?

I don't think they've forgotten, they're just not assuming it's Orleans. Which is actually a correct assumption, because ...

Quote from: kphoger on August 20, 2021, 02:05:27 PM
Orleans?

... I know this wasn't an answer to my question, but no, it's not Orleans either. In fact, Orleans is so bad that it can't be the best at anything, including losing population.

Get this:

Orleans County population loss, 2000 - 2020: -8.6518%
Chautauqua County population loss, 2000 - 2020: -8.6533%

Difference: 0.0015%
1 person in Orleans County = 0.0022%

So losing one more person would have made Orleans the winner.

But no, there are higher powers at work here: Orleans County simply cannot be the best at anything, not even losing population.

Is that not crazy, or what?  :wow:

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on August 20, 2021, 04:14:54 PM

With all the promotion it's been getting on this site, I can only imagine people are moving there–slowly but surely.  Expect a big bump in population for the 2020 census.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

achilles765

I love Texas...but not all of it.  We have 254 counties and a large number of them are just...full of the worst people...redneck, racist, homophobic, addicted to opiates, poorly educated, and still voting for people who supported the capitol insurrection.  There are these same counties in every state too...
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 20, 2021, 04:24:02 PM

With all the promotion it's been getting on this site, I can only imagine people are moving there–slowly but surely.  Expect a big bump in population for the 2020 census.

Nope, we already got the 2020 data and there was a 5.91% loss. That's the whole reason I revived this thread in the first place.

So you'll have to wait until 2030 for that.  :D

empirestate

You see? Clearly you should have moved to Orleans County, just so you could move out! :-D

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on August 20, 2021, 11:40:17 PM

You see? Clearly you should have moved to Orleans County, just so you could move out! :-D

I know, I was half-expecting someone to suggest that I had claimed residency in Orleans County just to make  this crazy stat true. But I promise I didn't!  :D  :-D

Flint1979

Knowing that you are the difference makes this funny.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on August 20, 2021, 11:15:34 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 20, 2021, 04:24:02 PM

Nope, we already got the 2020 data and there was a 5.91% loss. That's the whole reason I revived this thread in the first place.

So you'll have to wait until 2030 for that.  :D

How did I type "2020" instead of "2030"?    :facepalm"
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: achilles765 on August 20, 2021, 10:48:46 PM
I love Texas...but not all of it.  We have 254 counties and a large number of them are just...full of the worst people...redneck, racist, homophobic, addicted to opiates, poorly educated, and still voting for people who supported the capitol insurrection.  There are these same counties in every state too...

Gee, I can't imagine why it's hard for you to get along with people out there, when your definition of "the worst people" includes things level of education and voting record...
Male pronouns, please.

Quillz

When driving on I-5 through the upper Sacramento Valley, you go through quite a few counties: Tehama, Butte, Glenn, Colusa, Shasta. Those three in the middle seem like the kind of counties you could just merge into one and no one would know the difference. I guess they're not the worst per se, but I can't think of anything particular notable about any of them. They're in the middle of the valley and all the interesting stuff is off to either side.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Rothman

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on September 13, 2021, 07:39:50 AM
Cumberland County, NJ?
Why?  I'd also wonder about Passaic County, given Paterson and Passaic's reputations.  Essex County seems to balance Newark with western suburbs...

I dunno.  I know Vineland isn't a happening place, either...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Passaic County is an interesting one. It would have my vote based on the southern half of the county, but much of the northern half (which extends all the way to the NY line) isn't bad and is in fact quite rural by NJ standards.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on September 13, 2021, 09:26:08 AM
Passaic County is an interesting one. It would have my vote based on the southern half of the county, but much of the northern half (which extends all the way to the NY line) isn't bad and is in fact quite rural by NJ standards.
NJ's a tough one.

Maybe Union...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheGrassGuy

The thing about Union, Essex, and Passaic counties (home to the notoriously rough cities of Elizabeth, Newark, and Paterson respectively) is that the more suburban parts of them are actually pretty tranquil.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Flint1979

I've been around West Milford up by Greenwood Lake. Passaic County is nice in that area and that is still New Jersey actually half the lake is in New York (Orange County) but the scenery is about the same.

Wanting to drive on Clinton Road is what led me to the area.

Flint1979

The worst county in Michigan is by far Wayne County.

Chrysler375Freeway

Clare County. The college education rate is less than 13%, life expectancy at birth is shorter than the rest of the state, and it's worse economically there than the rest of the state. Clare County has one of the highest poverty rates of any county in the state.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on October 21, 2021, 10:28:46 PM
Clare County. The college education rate is less than 13%, life expectancy at birth is shorter than the rest of the state, and it's worse economically there than the rest of the state. Clare County has one of the highest poverty rates of any county in the state.

But is it better or worse than Orleans County?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 22, 2021, 12:02:23 AM
Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on October 21, 2021, 10:28:46 PM

But is it better or worse than Orleans County?
Clare County isn't even the worst county in the state. Lake County is the poorest county in the state, Wayne County is the worst though by far.

NWI_Irish96

For everybody saying Wayne County is the worst county in Michigan, I understand all the negatives that Detroit has, but Wayne County also has four professional sports teams, museums, parks, nightlife, and some fantastic lake/river front neighborhoods.

Seems to me that Genesee County has a lot of the same problems as Wayne County without the benefits.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 22, 2021, 07:27:45 AM
For everybody saying Wayne County is the worst county in Michigan, I understand all the negatives that Detroit has, but Wayne County also has four professional sports teams, museums, parks, nightlife, and some fantastic lake/river front neighborhoods.

Seems to me that Genesee County has a lot of the same problems as Wayne County without the benefits.
Genesee County has Fenton, Grand Blanc, Flint Township, Flushing, Davison and places like that that it benefits from. Flint Township is separate from the city of Flint. Flint and Detroit are in about the same category though, both have downtown's that aren't that bad at all, Flint has a Farmers Market that's been there since the 1950's that's thriving, at least it was pre-COVID. Wayne County has Detroit, Inkster, Lincoln Park, Ecorse, River Rouge, Highland Park, Hamtramck that it has going against it, but also has like Plymouth, Northville, Grosse Ile, Brownstown, the Grosse Pointes and stuff like that going for it. Detroit itself makes Wayne County the worst county in the state but it gets help from the other cities I mentioned there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.