News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania Turnpike Joins Facebook

Started by PAHighways, May 24, 2010, 09:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

Not a week after PennDOT joins the other powerhouse of Social Networking, the Turnpike Commission has joined Facebook.  You can "Like" the Pennsylvania Turnpike at  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pennsylvania-Turnpike/119580304720921.

Ian

I miss "becoming a fan" of things.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

I was about to say "What, you'd become a fan of PennDOT? What did they do that's so great all of a sudden, for you to be a fan of them?"

Then I reread your username :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2010, 01:43:32 PM
I was about to say "What, you'd become a fan of PennDOT? What did they do that's so great all of a sudden, for you to be a fan of them?"

Then I reread your username :P

I like PennDOT because it is the DOT from my home state. Even though they should get their act together to get things done, I do like their signage and how they use that symbol on the bottom of their signs.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

J N Winkler

To be frank, I think many DOTs have been getting into social media (Twitter, Facebook, their own Web forums, etc.) without a clear and concrete idea of how to use them to advance their core mission.  I am not saying that they shouldn't, or that useful applications will not eventually emerge, but personally I wish more attention were paid to "back end" projects such as making construction plans 100% downloadable at the time of letting and also establishing comprehensive, publicly accessible as-built archives.

PennDOT, to its credit, has one down and one to go.  It is just such a shame that their lawyers are still trying to drive eighteen-wheelers through the RTKL exemptions.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SSOWorld

I believe many of these are a result of Facebook's extracting of personal information to automatically make pages recently.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 26, 2010, 01:47:55 AM
To be frank, I think many DOTs have been getting into social media (Twitter, Facebook, their own Web forums, etc.) without a clear and concrete idea of how to use them to advance their core mission.  I am not saying that they shouldn't, or that useful applications will not eventually emerge, but personally I wish more attention were paid to "back end" projects such as making construction plans 100% downloadable at the time of letting and also establishing comprehensive, publicly accessible as-built archives.

If you survey the general public to find out whether what you propose is more important, or getting real-time updates on traffic delays or road closures or weather conditions, I'd venture to guess the latter will be the highest priority. As it should be.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

"511" facilities are already well developed.  The general public can't be expected to care about producer innovations like downloadable plans and as-built archives, even though they benefit indirectly from the efficiencies realized.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.