News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Alabama US 80

Started by lamsalfl, May 28, 2010, 12:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 31, 2010, 11:11:29 PM

Has that theory ever been proven?  Have studies been done that have show that an Interstate brings more prosperity than a 4 lane US or state highway?

I'm a bit late responding to this but Greenland, AR bent over backwards for a Phillips 66/McDonald's built at I-540 (previously they only had a run down Shamrock Mini-Mart on US 71 and no fast food), then bent over backwards again to attract a Sonic across from McDonald's . So at least in Greenland's case, the Interstate (supposedly) brings more prosperity.  Though if 540 had never been built, I wonder if McDonald's would eventually built a location in town?

Ozark, AR is another example: about 20 years ago, they annexed a bunch of property along I-40 and extended utilities out there to attract a Love's, a Days Inn and a KFC/Taco Bell... mostly because the Interstate was killing the local businesses on US 64.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.