AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: A piece of New Brunswick in Nova Scotia  (Read 3794 times)

ghYHZ

• Last Login: November 21, 2021, 08:08:36 PM
A piece of New Brunswick in Nova Scotia
« on: October 23, 2021, 08:03:38 AM »

There is no border depute between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia but a piece of NB has ended up on the NS side of the Missaguash River due to an 'Oxbow' in the river that was straightened.

I've heard of the oxbows along the Mississippi causing one states boundaries to be within the other...but the first time I'm aware of it here. Any other provinces with boundaries within the other?

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1964298820001

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: A piece of New Brunswick in Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 08:03:41 PM »

TIL there's a third border crossing there, just north of 104. Dirt road with a Bailey bridge.

webfil

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 08:03:35 PM
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 09:12:08 AM »

I've heard of the oxbows along the Mississippi causing one states boundaries to be within the other...but the first time I'm aware of it here. Any other provinces with boundaries within the other?

I know of similar cases for international borders. The boundaries on Saint John and Saint Francis rivers between Québec and Maine have minor discrepancies due to meanders becoming oxbows, but Hall river between Québec and New Hampshire is quite something. The former borders were delimited in 1842 (Webster-Ashtonbury) while the latter is older (1783; Treaty of Paris), thus the greater shapeshift.

EDIT : I just recalled that rivers changing courses are a the very source of the border dispute between Croatia and Slovenia, along the Mura and the Dragonja.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 10:54:29 AM by webfil »

cbeach40

• We've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks

• Last Login: Today at 05:07:32 PM
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 03:27:00 PM »

and waterrrrrrr!

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 08:00:30 PM »

Well, there's always this one...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_between_Quebec_and_Newfoundland_and_Labrador

Quebec isn't a sovereign nation so they just have to put up and shut up.

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 11:14:38 PM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 09:09:13 PM »

Quebec isn't a sovereign nation so they just have to put up and shut up.

Only they aren't shutting up, almost a century after Great Britain's Privy Council decided against Quebec on its border dispute with Newfoundland/Labrador (then not part of Canada, but a separate dominion within the British Commonwealth). The official 2020-2021 Quebec road map I purchased earlier this month from a visitor centre SW of Quebec city (cost C$5.20, with sales tax) prominently shows the border that Quebec originally claimed, with only microscopic markings of the "non-definitive" Privy Council border shown on the map cbeach40 posted, which the rest of the world treats as the real border. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:25:54 PM by oscar »
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.