News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

DO NOT PASS usage

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2021, 01:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I see that the usual white DO NOT PASS signs are always posted on the right except in California and Oregon on US 101. There they post two (one on each side) where most places I have seen the yellow pennant flag used on the left.

What is the correct way?  I always thought the yellow flag was stated in the MUTCD to be used on the left and the standard white faced on the right.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

It's not uncommon in California to see signage double signed on a sign post in rural areas.  I see it most frequently with highway shields which can have the odd effect of having the reassurance shield on the left side of the highway depending on your direction of travel.

tolbs17

I don't see them here.

hotdogPi

I think I've seen "do not pass" used to mean "do not enter" once, but I might be misremembering.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

JoePCool14

DO NOT PASS should be placed on the right, while the yellow pennant is supposed to function as the warning for those making passes in the left lane that the passing zone is ending. Hence why the pennant "points" back to the right (I'm sure y'all knew that already).

In my area, IDOT does not generally use the black-and-white sign, however I've seen it posted on the left side sometimes when it is. While this isn't technically wrong, I see it as wrong because it's like putting a speed limit sign only on the left side of the road (on undivided roads). That's just... not where the sign goes. And they don't always do this to be cheap either. I usually only see this on certain roads in D1. In the other districts, I usually just see the yellow warning pennant correctly placed on the left.

I haven't seen any other creative uses here like we've discussed in other places. ISTHA uses STAY IN LANE along with solid white lines when they want drivers to not pass, and that's generally reserved for temporary lane shifts and around I-PASS gantries.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

roadfro

Random observation semi-relevant to the thread:

I've been in Colorado for a trip. In our driving around, we've encountered several construction zones, especially on I-25 (where they appear to be reconstructing several bridges to accommodate freeway widening and extension of express lanes). I've noticed that the temporary lane shift crossovers are signed "do not pass" on both sides of the carriageway, and then "pass with care" after the road shifts back over–a single solid white lane line is used between these points.

I've always thought these signs were specific to undivided highway passing. (And, now that I've looked, the MUTCD sections governing these signs seems to agree based on the context.) Better approach would be to use "stay in lane" signs and double solid white lines.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hbelkins

Kentucky rarely uses the "Do Not Pass" white signs. I remember when they first switched to the yellow pennant on the left side (back in the 1970s at the same time they were introducing the honeycomb reflective sheeting). I didn't like the change and still don't. Kentucky also started using three vertically-placed white reflectors where passing zones begin at that time, but that practice has gone by the wayside. The yellow pennants are not enforceable unless they correspond with pavement striping, which is enforceable.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: roadfro on July 09, 2021, 11:05:51 AM
Random observation semi-relevant to the thread:

I've been in Colorado for a trip. In our driving around, we've encountered several construction zones, especially on I-25 (where they appear to be reconstructing several bridges to accommodate freeway widening and extension of express lanes). I've noticed that the temporary lane shift crossovers are signed "do not pass" on both sides of the carriageway, and then "pass with care" after the road shifts back over–a single solid white lane line is used between these points.

I've always thought these signs were specific to undivided highway passing. (And, now that I've looked, the MUTCD sections governing these signs seems to agree based on the context.) Better approach would be to use "stay in lane" signs and double solid white lines.

Ugh, I hate that.  Kansas uses the "DO NOT PASS" signs on all construction zones–including the Canal Route, which is an elevated freeway with a canal in between the carriageways.  I've brought this up before, and the subsequent discussion is worth reading.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

-- US 175 --

The only times I've seen DO NOT PASS used in TX in recent years is during re-paving projects before re-striping has taken place.

Scott5114

Oklahoma does not use signage at all for passing zones, only pavement markings. The only time I've seen "DO NOT PASS" is in freeway work zones.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 10, 2021, 06:58:27 PM
Oklahoma does not use signage at all for passing zones, only pavement markings. The only time I've seen "DO NOT PASS" is in freeway work zones.

That's gotta be a bit annoying at times. How can you see when the passing zone ends? Or is it because in Oklahoma it's so flat that it's rare to even have no passing zones?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

vdeane

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 10, 2021, 11:16:19 PM

That's gotta be a bit annoying at times. How can you see when the passing zone ends? Or is it because in Oklahoma it's so flat that it's rare to even have no passing zones?
The pavement markings change.  That's how you know when it ends.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ran4sh

Quote from: roadman65 on July 08, 2021, 01:22:48 PM
I see that the usual white DO NOT PASS signs are always posted on the right except in California and Oregon on US 101. There they post two (one on each side) where most places I have seen the yellow pennant flag used on the left.

What is the correct way?  I always thought the yellow flag was stated in the MUTCD to be used on the left and the standard white faced on the right.

Usually when California does something one way, and other states do the same thing a different way, it's the other states that are complying with the MUTCD while California is complying with its own version of the MUTCD.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on July 11, 2021, 12:25:50 AM

Good luck with that in snow.

Illinois (IDOT) uses the pennants only.

Michigan (MDOT) uses the full suite: Pennant on the left, Do Not Pass sign on the right, and Pass With Care when then no passing zone has ended.  It's quite useful during the snow season in the UP where they do not plow to pavement.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on July 11, 2021, 10:41:46 AM

Michigan (MDOT) uses the full suite: Pennant on the left, Do Not Pass sign on the right, and Pass With Care when then no passing zone has ended.  It's quite useful during the snow season in the UP where they do not plow to pavement.

If you can't see the center line in snow, it's probably unadvisable to pass in the first place. Or, use common sense if you need to get around someone. 

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of passing zones in the US aren't marked with ending signage.

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 11, 2021, 11:14:25 AM

If you can't see the center line in snow, it's probably unadvisable to pass in the first place. Or, use common sense if you need to get around someone. 

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of passing zones in the US aren't marked with ending signage.

You haven't driven in the UP much, have you?  Again, they do not plow to pavement, yet you do need to be able to pass logging trucks going well under the speed limit (due to weight).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

You are aware it only snows in Oklahoma once a year, right?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on July 11, 2021, 11:19:57 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 11, 2021, 11:14:25 AM

You haven't driven in the UP much, have you?  Again, they do not plow to pavement, yet you do need to be able to pass logging trucks going well under the speed limit (due to weight).
If it's safe to pass on a snow-covered roadway, I'm guessing those logging trucks are going slow enough that most people around here wouldn't wait for a legal passing zone to go around them.  Nobody sits behind tractors or the Amish for however long it takes for the road to allow their direction to pass, especially as there might be oncoming traffic by the time it finally does.  Usually such vehicles will also ride partially in the shoulder to explicitly encourage this behavior.

And, as mentioned, how much of the country both has significant snow and does not plow to pavement?  In NY, our bare pavement policy means that state roads tend to be clear within a few hours of all but the most severe (the "once in a century" storms that seem to be happening a lot as of late) storms ending.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

Quote from: vdeane on July 11, 2021, 04:31:42 PM
And, as mentioned, how much of the country both has significant snow and does not plow to pavement?

Montana, for one.

wanderer2575

Michigan also posts these signs on rural trunklines where there is a passing lane in the other direction.

Although I took a daytrip to the northwest Lower Peninsula last week and it now occurs to me that I didn't see any of these signs along M-115, so I wonder if they're being phased out during sign replacements.

Bitmapped

I tend to see "Do Not Pass" used the most where the road transitions from 2 lanes back to a single lane:
- End of divided highway on US 250 near Wooster, OH: https://goo.gl/maps/vi2iHwozDJPNmsj4A
- End of divided highway on US 33/WV 55 near Elkins, WV: https://goo.gl/maps/4D78NjiMwtdVZfk36
- End of 4-lane section of US 40 east of Uniontown, PA: https://goo.gl/maps/eEQdYhDwWdRpzZJp9

PA sometimes does both a "Do Not Pass" and a "No Passing Zone" together where climbing lanes end:
- End of climbing lane on PA 28/PA 66 near Kittanning, PA: https://goo.gl/maps/xAWVmo6gS43GbhzAA

Ohio also uses "Do Not Pass" signage during resurfacing projects. This is an upgrade from the state's former practice through at least the 1990s of posting orange "Unmarked No Passing Zones" signs.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 11, 2021, 08:41:35 PM
I tend to see "Do Not Pass" used the most where the road transitions from 2 lanes back to a single lane:
- End of divided highway on US 250 near Wooster, OH: https://goo.gl/maps/vi2iHwozDJPNmsj4A
- End of divided highway on US 33/WV 55 near Elkins, WV: https://goo.gl/maps/4D78NjiMwtdVZfk36
- End of 4-lane section of US 40 east of Uniontown, PA: https://goo.gl/maps/eEQdYhDwWdRpzZJp9

PA sometimes does both a "Do Not Pass" and a "No Passing Zone" together where climbing lanes end:
- End of climbing lane on PA 28/PA 66 near Kittanning, PA: https://goo.gl/maps/xAWVmo6gS43GbhzAA

Ohio also uses "Do Not Pass" signage during resurfacing projects. This is an upgrade from the state's former practice through at least the 1990s of posting orange "Unmarked No Passing Zones" signs.

The PA Turnpike uses "No Passing Zone Ahead" signs on on-ramps when entering a lane closure work zone.

In Vermont, there are yellow/black diamond signs that say "Unsafe to Pass" on downhill segments where opposing traffic has a climbing lane.

fwydriver405

Yellow pendant "NO PASSING ZONE" signs are very common on two lane state highways in New Hampshire.

Maine does not use those yellow pendant "NO PASSING ZONE" signs frequently. However, on a stretch of ME Route 4 near where I live between South Berwick (at ME236) and North Berwick (at ME9)... a lot of "NO PASSING ZONE" signs were installed after a fatal collision happened on June 11, 2018 at 13:30 GMT-4. According to MaineDOT data, improper passing and excessive speed were the contributing factors... making this one of the most deadly crashes in the State.

Both states don't really use the white "DO NOT PASS" signs to my knowledge.

frankenroad

Then there's this.  Bugs me every time I drive by it.

It's on locally-maintained road.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Big John

Quote from: frankenroad on July 14, 2021, 03:47:12 PM
Then there's this.  Bugs me every time I drive by it.

It's on locally-maintained road.
When I lived in Georgia, I had several arguments with that when the supervisor insisted on putting the pennant on the right on road plans.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.