News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Infrastructure Bill 2021

Started by ITB, August 02, 2021, 05:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 20, 2021, 01:09:54 PM
A politics site I follow had this reader Q&A question, which answers a question that was asked here upthread:

Quote from: electoral-vote.comS.K. in Chappaqua, NY, asks: How much authority does the bipartisan infrastructure bill afford the executive branch with respect to allocation of funds to, oh, say. West Virginia vs. Alaska, to take a very nonrandomly selected example?

V & Z answer: Very little. A large portion of the funds are earmarked for specific projects, like a bridge from Kentucky to Ohio, restoration of the San Francisco Bay, and cleaning up the Great Lakes. Money that is not already earmarked is generally doled out by a formula that considers a state's population and a few other factors.

Like all veteran senators, Joe Manchin and Lisa Murkowski know that the time to stick your hand out is before the bill is voted on. And so, Manchin got a bunch of goodies related to coal, most obviously $11.3 billion for the Abandoned Mine Land Reclamation Fund. And Murkowski got a bunch, too, most obviously $3.5 billion to fix highways (particularly the Yukon Highway) and $225 million to fix broken bridges.

Presumably by "Yukon Highway" they mean Alaska Highway.

Whoever V&Z are, their description seems a little biased.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 20, 2021, 12:45:42 PM
- Interstate construction in the other 47 contiguous states not being possible anymore because NCDOT used up all the numbers: totally believable
- Implying that Interstate Maintenance funding still exists: UTTERLY IMPLAUSIBLE, GET HIS ASS

It was a joke, guys. :P

As I recall, it has been a serious discussion on this forum in the not-too-distant past.

Also, I'd like to know where these "earmarks" are.  I read through the Infrastructure Bill text and I did not see any.

I saw an early version of just the highway bill. It has some. Sometimes the bill is incorporated into the final bill by reference.
All I know is Illinois is to get 17 billion total . The Gov. Pritzger said money won't flow until next year. We may have to wait until next year state DOT budgets to find out what is getting funded ?

sprjus4

USDOT reveals how much Virginia and NC will receive in infrastructure funding
QuoteWASHINGTON (WAVY) – The U.S. Federal Highway Administration has estimated both Virginia and North Carolina could receive more than $9.2 billion each in funds from the recently passed federal infrastructure legislation.

The money, which will flow in over the course of the next five years to the respective states, will help fund improvements in roads, bridges, railroads and airports.

There are also additional grants states and local governments can apply for that'll help fund emission-reducing programs, port dredging projects and increase transportation safety.

The largest chunk of money, $7.7 billion for both states, will go toward funding for highways and bridges according to the federal highway funding formula. It's a 33.5% increase in funding that Virginia gets under the current law. In North Carolina, it's roughly a 28.7% increase.

The Hampton Roads Planning District Commission already has a list of priority road projects they hope to use some of that money for.

Both states can expect to see more than $43 million for highway safety traffic programs, more than $920 million for public transit programs and more than $386 million for airports.

President Joe Biden signed a $1.2 trillion infrastructure package into law at the White House on Monday. Aside from modernizing the country's infrastructure, it will also create 1.5 million jobs a year for the next decade, the Biden administration said.

"For decades, infrastructure in Virginia has suffered from a systemic lack of investment. In fact, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave Virginia a C- on its infrastructure report card,"  the release from USDOT said. "The historic Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will make life better for millions of Virginia residents, create a generation of good-paying union jobs and economic growth, and position the United States to win the 21st century."

For the Hampton Roads, with the third segment of I-64 widening near Williamsburg now virtually complete, the top priority for the area is completing the remaining nearly 30 miles of 6 lane widening to Richmond.

Highway projects, broadband among top local priorities (Hampton Roads) for infrastructure funds
QuotePORTSMOUTH, Va. ( WAVY) – The head of the Hampton Roads Planning District commission has his wish list in place for when the money from the new $1.2 trillion federal infrastructure package begins to flow into Hampton Roads.

HRPDC Executive Director Bob Crum was part of a roundtable discussion Tuesday with U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) at the Port of Virginia International Gateway that included leaders from the shipping industry.

The infrastructure bill provides for $110 billion in road and bridge improvements. At the top of Crum's priority list is a $635 million project to continue widening Interstate 64 between the Virginia Peninsula and Richmond until it's three lanes in both directions all the way.

"20 of those miles are outside the region in Hampton Roads,"  Crum said. "So we are really excited and hopeful that this federal infrastructure package can add that additional lane in each direction."

Kaine says it would help Hampton Roads join forces with the capital area when it comes to attracting business.

"There's this new effort to try to connect the 757 with RVA and think about it as a big region for economic development. That project would be really important for making that happen,"  Kaine said.

The federal package also earmarks $65 billion in broadband development. Some of that money could help Hampton Roads attract new business, Crum says.

"Our region is building out its regional fiber network and the super-fast sub-sea cables that come ashore in Virginia Beach,"  Crum said.

"We have too many people in Virginia who don't have access, or if they do have access it's not affordable. We can [build broadband] in a way that will benefit Hampton Roads and all over the commonwealth,"  Kaine said.

The federal infrastructure bill also provides $66 billion for rail improvements, $47 billion in resilience projects to combat sea level rise and climate change, and $39 billion in upgrades to public transit. The amount that will come to Hampton Roads has yet to be determined.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on November 19, 2021, 02:29:23 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 19, 2021, 12:46:02 PM
As mentioned in the main NC thread, the infrastructure bill created a new High Priority Corridor and future interstate in NC, which would follow US-421 from I-85 in Greensboro to I-95 in Dunn. NCDOT is expected to seek approval from AASHTO (presumably at the spring meeting) to designate it as Future I-685.

https://www.tarpo.org/2021/11/bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-clears-the-way-for-future-i-685-interstate-designation-in-the-carolina-core/

To give some background on this, there's strong suspicion that Toyota will build a battery plant at the Greensboro-Randolph megasite, which sits along US-421. Can't help but wonder if that's the reason I-685(?) was included in the infrastructure bill...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-19/toyota-eyes-panasonic-as-partner-in-north-carolina-battery-plant

All but confirmed at this point.

https://greensboro.com/business/local/after-toyota-reports-surface-corps-of-engineers-files-public-notice-of-grading-the-greensboro-randolph/article_ebafba82-4bd9-11ec-be1c-c7d19f7b4aac.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on November 23, 2021, 08:08:22 AM
Quote from: LM117 on November 19, 2021, 02:29:23 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 19, 2021, 12:46:02 PM
As mentioned in the main NC thread, the infrastructure bill created a new High Priority Corridor and future interstate in NC, which would follow US-421 from I-85 in Greensboro to I-95 in Dunn. NCDOT is expected to seek approval from AASHTO (presumably at the spring meeting) to designate it as Future I-685.

https://www.tarpo.org/2021/11/bipartisan-infrastructure-bill-clears-the-way-for-future-i-685-interstate-designation-in-the-carolina-core/

To give some background on this, there's strong suspicion that Toyota will build a battery plant at the Greensboro-Randolph megasite, which sits along US-421. Can't help but wonder if that's the reason I-685(?) was included in the infrastructure bill...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-19/toyota-eyes-panasonic-as-partner-in-north-carolina-battery-plant

All but confirmed at this point.

https://greensboro.com/business/local/after-toyota-reports-surface-corps-of-engineers-files-public-notice-of-grading-the-greensboro-randolph/article_ebafba82-4bd9-11ec-be1c-c7d19f7b4aac.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

It's official. I guess it's a safe bet that I-685 was a factor during negotiations with the state.

https://governor.nc.gov/news/press-releases/2021/12/06/governor-cooper-announces-toyota-will-build-companys-first-north-american-battery-plant-north

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-selects-north-carolina-greensboro-randolph-site-for-new-u-s-automotive-battery-plant/

LM117

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1 on December 19, 2021, 12:51:04 PM
Quote from: LM117 on December 19, 2021, 12:46:32 PM
The soft bill just got nuked.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/manchin-says-he-no-biden-s-build-back-better-legislation-n1286281

Is there a way to wait until a day when two Republican senators are absent and vote on it then?

No...you would need more absences than that to overcome the filibuster to allow debate and eventual vote.  After that you would then need 2 absences to pass the bill.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 19, 2021, 01:26:03 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 19, 2021, 12:51:04 PM
Quote from: LM117 on December 19, 2021, 12:46:32 PM
The soft bill just got nuked.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/manchin-says-he-no-biden-s-build-back-better-legislation-n1286281

Is there a way to wait until a day when two Republican senators are absent and vote on it then?

No...you would need more absences than that to overcome the filibuster to allow debate and eventual vote.  After that you would then need 2 absences to pass the bill.

And you can bet that there is no way any GOP (or any affiliation, but specifically the GOP here) senators would miss a vote on that bill. They would drop anything going on back home to get back to Washington for that vote should one be scheduled behind their back.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Unless it contains something I'm not aware of–please correct me if I'm wrong–the soft bill has no road-related content and thus, now that the hard bill has passed, is no longer on-topic for this forum.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 19, 2021, 06:40:00 PM
Unless it contains something I'm not aware of–please correct me if I'm wrong–the soft bill has no road-related content and thus, now that the hard bill has passed, is no longer on-topic for this forum.
That's what I was wondering and I'm glad you clarified. For some reason I thought the soft bill did have some Road and rail money in it but then I read somewhere else it didn't.

tolbs17

So the soft bill has failed, and the hard bill has passed, I feel like this thread will be locked soon.

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 19, 2021, 06:49:24 PM
So the soft bill has failed, and the hard bill has passed, I feel like this thread will be locked soon.

The thread should not be locked. The money hasn't been distributed yet; we'll get things over the next months to year about what actually gets funded.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1 on December 19, 2021, 06:50:49 PM

The thread should not be locked. The money hasn't been distributed yet; we'll get things over the next months to year about what actually gets funded.

That discussion can also easily continue in a new thread or in the individual state threads as money comes in.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tolbs17

Speaking of that, I thought it was 5 years to disturbute the money to the states. So when is the soonest that the first distribution will be to the states?

Scott5114

That's exactly why I didn't lock it.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 19, 2021, 06:52:09 PM
Speaking of that, I thought it was 5 years to disturbute the money to the states. So when is the soonest that the first distribution will be to the states?

Quote from: hbelkins on November 17, 2021, 06:15:09 PM
Right now we're awaiting direction from FHWA on how the competitive grant process is going to work before knowing how to apply, what to apply for, which projects to include in the application process, and all that good stuff.

Quote from: Rothman
We don't even have the FHWA apportionment notice yet, which is the actual document that divvies out the funds.

[...]

At least for core funding, FHWA will issue the official apportionments in document that is about 13 pages long showing their calculations (somewhat...it's a little swiss cheese like) and then -- hopefully -- updated the amount of obligation limitation available to utilize such apportionments.

Special programs will get separate notices and their own program codes.  Then, for those discretionary grant programs that people are so excited about for some reason, FHWA will set up their application processes and the overly-convoluted journey to either get approved or rejected will follow for years to come.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 19, 2021, 08:19:15 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 19, 2021, 06:52:09 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on November 17, 2021, 06:15:09 PM
Right now we're awaiting direction from FHWA on how the competitive grant process is going to work before knowing how to apply, what to apply for, which projects to include in the application process, and all that good stuff.

Quote from: Rothman
We don't even have the FHWA apportionment notice yet, which is the actual document that divvies out the funds.

[...]

At least for core funding, FHWA will issue the official apportionments in document that is about 13 pages long showing their calculations (somewhat...it's a little swiss cheese like) and then -- hopefully -- updated the amount of obligation limitation available to utilize such apportionments.

Special programs will get separate notices and their own program codes.  Then, for those discretionary grant programs that people are so excited about for some reason, FHWA will set up their application processes and the overly-convoluted journey to either get approved or rejected will follow for years to come.
Somebody quoted me... :D

hbelkins

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 19, 2021, 06:47:07 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 19, 2021, 06:40:00 PM
That's what I was wondering and I'm glad you clarified. For some reason I thought the soft bill did have some Road and rail money in it but then I read somewhere else it didn't.

There was an effort by some to combine the two bills ("infrastructure" and "Build Back Better") into one, but the infrastructure portion was kept separate from the other stuff, which honestly contained a lot of initiatives unrelated to roads and bridges.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tolbs17

So at the moment, they will focus on fixing the deficient bridges. They will distribute $27 billion over the next 5 years with $5.5 billion being distributed this year. Fix the bridges over I-95 in Johnston County! Very dated and low quality...

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2022/01/14/biden-administration-launches-program-fix-15000-bridges/

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 14, 2022, 08:43:08 PM
Fix the bridges over I-95 in Johnston County! Very dated and low quality...

What exactly is wrong with them? I see one "Poor" with a sufficiency rating of 35, but most bridges over I-95 in Johnston County appear to be in good condition, even those constructed in the 1950s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.