News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Infrastructure Bill 2021

Started by ITB, August 02, 2021, 05:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 22, 2021, 01:49:43 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 21, 2021, 09:05:49 PM
I'm still trying to figure out Sinema. Conservatives were dead-set against her when she ran.

Everyone's trying to figure out Sinema, even her own staffers. I've read social media posts from people who worked for her in her campaigns that are entirely baffled by her Senate record because it doesn't square with her previous positions or values at all. The prevailing theory seems to be that she is attempting to emulate Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and his "maverick" reputation, without understanding why McCain did the things he did.

Hell, Sinema is trying to figure out Sinema! It's not too hard to see why some people think she's trying to be McCain 2.0 after tapping McConnell on the shoulder to get his attention and then immediately pulling her curtsy "thumbs down" stunt earlier this year.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Scott5114

Quote from: LM117 on October 14, 2021, 04:45:21 PM
The game of "chicken" continues...

https://www.newsweek.com/kyrsten-sinema-wont-support-reconciliation-bill-without-passing-infrastructure-report-1639099

Well, that's fuckin' fantastic. House progressives won't pass the hard bill unless the soft bill is passed. Sinema won't vote for the soft bill unless the hard bill is passed. Unless someone can somehow back Sinema off her position, she will have basically single-handedly killed both bills.

Whichever member of Senate Democratic leadership had the bright idea to split the combined bill into two must really feel like a chump right now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

I'm honestly surprised the first bill even passed the Senate at all with this two-track stuff.  I would have thought the Republicans would have abandoned the bill once it became clear that the budget reconciliation bill was a supplement to the bipartisan one and not a fall-back position, just like their counterparts in the House have now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

LM117

Quote from: vdeane on October 17, 2021, 10:06:46 PM
I'm honestly surprised the first bill even passed the Senate at all with this two-track stuff.  I would have thought the Republicans would have abandoned the bill once it became clear that the budget reconciliation bill was a supplement to the bipartisan one and not a fall-back position, just like their counterparts in the House have now.

I'm not. I'd bet my house that the Senate GOP was counting on the House progressives to hold up the hard bill so that they won't take the heat before the midterms if or when the hard bill crashes and burns. McConnell is a lot of things, but stupid ain't one of them (except for his dumb decision to kill a stimmy, which cost him control of the Senate).

LM117

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 17, 2021, 09:45:32 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 14, 2021, 04:45:21 PM
The game of "chicken" continues...

https://www.newsweek.com/kyrsten-sinema-wont-support-reconciliation-bill-without-passing-infrastructure-report-1639099

Well, that's fuckin' fantastic. House progressives won't pass the hard bill unless the soft bill is passed. Sinema won't vote for the soft bill unless the hard bill is passed. Unless someone can somehow back Sinema off her position, she will have basically single-handedly killed both bills.

Whichever member of Senate Democratic leadership had the bright idea to split the combined bill into two must really feel like a chump right now.

Agreed. At least Manchin is willing to talk, even though he doesn't have much wiggle room to negotiate since he represents one of the reddest states in the country. His seat is guaranteed to go red once he decides to call it quits. He knows that and so does Schumer. That's why Manchin got pissed when Bernie wrote his op-ed in WV.

Sinema, on the other hand, is just being a pain in everybody's ass. She's not saying what she will accept in the soft bill since she's too busy saying what she's against. Hell, there was period where she wouldn't even take phone calls from the damn president. She's from a state that's turning more and more purple, so I'm not sure what the hell her excuse is for pulling a 180. I don't see her surviving a primary challenge. I'll leave it at that.

LM117

Scott5114

It looks like good news on the infrastructure front today, as Manchin, Sinema, and leadership have reached a tentative agreement on the soft bill/reconcilation bill/Build Back Better bill. Everyone is being cautious, however, as the bill text has yet to be written, so someone could theoretically find something objectionable in the final product. The House progressives are signaling that they intend to support the hard infrastructure bill, but they too want to see the final soft bill text come out to make sure they're not getting screwed (and to see whether Manchin/Sinema walk back their support) before they support the hard bill.

Plutonic Panda

LM117

Plutonic Panda

LM117

LM117

Brandon

Quote from: LM117 on November 01, 2021, 08:57:05 PM
Looks like the House progressives have finally caved.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/01/politics/pramila-jayapal-joe-manchin-biden-agenda-cnntv/index.html

Not quite.  After the election results in NJ and VA, it's gotten a bit weird.

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that none of these bills will be passed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

LM117

Quote from: Brandon on November 05, 2021, 09:16:44 AM

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/01/politics/pramila-jayapal-joe-manchin-biden-agenda-cnntv/index.html

The House is supposed to vote on them today. I'm pretty sure the hard bill will pass and hit Biden's desk, but the soft bill will probably get killed in the Senate by Manchinema.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/house-democrats-move-advance-biden-agenda-after-election-losses-without-n1283324

Brandon

Quote from: LM117 on November 05, 2021, 11:03:28 AM

Not quite.  After the election results in NJ and VA, it’s gotten a bit weird.

I’m going to go on a limb here and say that none of these bills will be passed.

The House is supposed to vote on them today. I'm pretty sure the hard bill will pass and hit Biden's desk, but the soft bill will probably get killed in the Senate by Manchinema.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/house-democrats-move-advance-biden-agenda-after-election-losses-without-n1283324

Was supposed to vote on them today.  Now Pelosi has five representatives asking for a CBO review of it.  I’m still going to stick by my limb here and say neither passes.

On top of that, Jayapal just shut Pelosi down (again) on the vote today, unwilling to separate the two bills now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Scott5114

Brandon

^^ It does seem like a Benny Hill skit at this point.

LM117

Quote from: Brandon on November 05, 2021, 04:21:35 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 05, 2021, 11:03:28 AM

Was supposed to vote on them today.  Now Pelosi has five representatives asking for a CBO review of it.  I'm still going to stick by my limb here and say neither passes.

On top of that, Jayapal just shut Pelosi down (again) on the vote today, unwilling to separate the two bills now.

Shit, they might as well give Jayapal the gavel until 2023 when McCarthy takes over, since she's clearly the one running the show at this point. :banghead:

What a shitshow.

Bruce

A Speaker of the House from the real Washington would be welcome. Haven't had one of those since 1995.

LM117

According to a live update from CNN, Jayapal and the other House progressives reached an agreement with moderates to vote and pass the hard bill tonight in exchange for voting on the soft bill no later than the week of Nov. 15.

Took long enough for sanity to prevail.

EDIT: The vote is taking place right now.

KCRoadFan

The bill has passed!!! (that is, the one that cleared the Senate in August, the "hard" bill)

Final count: 228 - 206 (13 Republicans voted "yes" while 6 Democrats voted "no").

Scott5114

Infrastructure Week is finally here!

LM117

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.