News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2022 meet ideas

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 06, 2021, 06:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 19, 2021, 11:31:21 PM
Thanks for chiming in, Steve.  I will continue to maintain this list the same way I've been maintaining it all along.

Generally speaking, no one is responsible for what another one infers. And you're certainly not implying that these meets are definitely happening; only that they're potential events. So any inferences are beyond your control. If someone wants to start a thread on "confirmed 2022 meets" then they're free to do so, and not read or participate in this thread where they aren't inferring anything that wasn't implied in the original post.

Beyond that, which is applicable in a lot more places than just this thread, people generally tend to post about individual meets in their own threads with polls on possible dates, lists of potential attractions, restaurant choices, etc. Those pretty quickly resolve into final determinations on when, or if, they will take place. If AJ wants to produce a compilation, and others want to post in the thread, more power to him.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2021, 01:23:31 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 19, 2021, 11:31:21 PM
Thanks for chiming in, Steve.  I will continue to maintain this list the same way I've been maintaining it all along.

Generally speaking, no one is responsible for what another one infers. And you're certainly not implying that these meets are definitely happening; only that they're potential events. So any inferences are beyond your control. If someone wants to start a thread on "confirmed 2022 meets" then they're free to do so, and not read or participate in this thread where they aren't inferring anything that wasn't implied in the original post.

Beyond that, which is applicable in a lot more places than just this thread, people generally tend to post about individual meets in their own threads with polls on possible dates, lists of potential attractions, restaurant choices, etc. Those pretty quickly resolve into final determinations on when, or if, they will take place. If AJ wants to produce a compilation, and others want to post in the thread, more power to him.

Thank you, H.B.  The thing is, if Dan wants a separate thread/list right now for just the meets that are confirmed for 2022, that would be a pretty small list because most hosts don't definitively announce their meets so far in advance.  Out of all the meets that are on the 2022 list at this point (not including my Outer Banks meet), I think only two of them are confirmed so far with an exact date in mind.  On most occasions (I think), meets are not confirmed until some point within, say, 3-6 months in advance.  It just doesn't make sense to me to have separate lists for the different confirmation levels of meets.  But like you say, anyone can start whatever list they want.  I of course don't want to suggest that I have a monopoly on creating these lists.  I just started doing it, and the forum ran with it.  Next year, if someone wants to do it differently, I guess they'll have to beat me to it and that wouldn't bother me in the least.

As far as my Outer Banks meet is concerned, the pandemic taught me a lesson in not making official announcements so far in advance.  It's listed with a definitive date of April 30, but I do not plan to re-start my official thread/post for the meet until maybe January or so.
-A.J. from Michigan

Scott5114

My feeling is that this thread is where people throw ideas out to gauge interest. If there's interest in an idea and the poster wants to go forward with planning and organization, then they start a separate thread for that meet, and that's when you can start to think of the meet as likely to actually happen.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2021, 09:54:42 AM
My feeling is that this thread is where people throw ideas out to gauge interest.

That's pretty much it.  I decided to change the name of the thread from "2022 meets" to "2022 meet ideas" to reflect this reality.
-A.J. from Michigan

yanksfan6129

Anyone interested in a South Africa meet in February?

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on November 02, 2021, 03:42:14 PM
Anyone interested in a South Africa meet in February?
I came across ZAian road enthusiasts once, forget the forum. Definitely go find them.

JMoses24

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 10, 2021, 03:00:54 PM
Quote from: JMoses24 on October 08, 2021, 11:08:25 AM
I am considering an Oklahoma City meet for probably summer, but it will depend on my medical condition and time constraints.

That would be awesome–the last OKC meet was in 2010, and some of the people who attended that one who would be surprised to see how much it's changed since then. (We were still on the old Crosstown then, I-35 in Norman was in the process of getting expanded to 6 lanes, and there was of course no John Kilpatrick extension, Kickapoo Turnpike, or Scissortail Park.)

Let me know if you need some help planning things or potentially serving as backup host if needed.

Scott, I'll message you directly on this soon. I probably could use the help. Prelim target timeframe to run this as I've thought about doing it is late July into early half of August to avoid conflicts with the other meets listed here.

Scott5114

Quote from: JMoses24 on November 02, 2021, 10:42:48 PM
I am considering an Oklahoma City meet for probably summer, but it will depend on my medical condition and time constraints.

That would be awesome–the last OKC meet was in 2010, and some of the people who attended that one who would be surprised to see how much it's changed since then. (We were still on the old Crosstown then, I-35 in Norman was in the process of getting expanded to 6 lanes, and there was of course no John Kilpatrick extension, Kickapoo Turnpike, or Scissortail Park.)

Let me know if you need some help planning things or potentially serving as backup host if needed.

Scott, I'll message you directly on this soon. I probably could use the help. Prelim target timeframe to run this as I've thought about doing it is late July into early half of August to avoid conflicts with the other meets listed here.

All right, I look forward to hearing from you!

One unfortunate thing about that time period is you're basically guaranteed to have hot weather then, potentially hotter than out-of-staters are comfortable with. I did my OKC meet in mid-June, and it was still pretty hot then. Any earlier than that, though, and you risk running into tornado season (although a minority might well find the risk of running into some of our famed severe weather a plus; I think at least one meet held elsewhere has turned into a storm chase after the main tour was done).

Of course, on the flip side, if you go for fall, the weather will be more likely to be suitable, but you'll have to be sure to have it during a week OU is away if you want to see anything in Cleveland County, and the later you go, the more that further-away attendees may start to become worried about winter weather at the start and end of their trip.

Laura

Would people be opposed to me having the Cumberland/Western MD meet over Memorial Day Weekend 2022? CPZ's Corridor H meet was over the Memorial Day holiday weekend in 2016 so this wouldn't be the first time a meet was held then. It would logistically be easier for us to host on a long weekend.

Sorry for postponing this meet twice now - I do think the third time's the charm.

vdeane

Unless something weird happens, I'll have a family gathering sometime Memorial Day weekend, so it's not the best weekend for me.  Is Juneteenth a long weekend for you?  It is for me since it's a state holiday now and falls on a Sunday next year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Laura on November 09, 2021, 09:20:50 AM
Would people be opposed to me having the Cumberland/Western MD meet over Memorial Day Weekend 2022? CPZ's Corridor H meet was over the Memorial Day holiday weekend in 2016 so this wouldn't be the first time a meet was held then. It would logistically be easier for us to host on a long weekend.

Sorry for postponing this meet twice now - I do think the third time's the charm.

I usually do not do anything major that weekend so that is fine with me.

Quote from: vdeane on November 09, 2021, 12:51:18 PM
Unless something weird happens, I'll have a family gathering sometime Memorial Day weekend, so it's not the best weekend for me.  Is Juneteenth a long weekend for you?  It is for me since it's a state holiday now and falls on a Sunday next year.

That is under consideration now for my continuing-to-be-postponed RDU Meet.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Laura

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 09, 2021, 02:27:00 PM

My local government has not made it a holiday yet. Juneteenth is also my daughter's birthday so that will probably always be a no-go weekend for me and meets. FYI Father's Day in 2022 is also on Juneteenth so that might not be a good weekend for folks.

I'm also looking at the weekend before Memorial Day weekend as a possibility.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Laura on November 09, 2021, 03:29:47 PM

My local government has not made it a holiday yet. Juneteenth is also my daughter's birthday so that will probably always be a no-go weekend for me and meets. FYI Father's Day in 2022 is also on Juneteenth so that might not be a good weekend for folks.

I'm still very interested in attending the Cumberland meet if I can.  For me personally, there's pros and cons to attending a meet on Memorial Day weekend but I'd definitely consider it.  Part of me would prefer to see it happen the weekend before (if you were to put it up to a vote, that's probably what I'd vote for), but course it's your decision for how you want to proceed with selecting the date.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 09, 2021, 05:54:22 PM

I'm still very interested in attending the Cumberland meet if I can.  For me personally, there's pros and cons to attending a meet on Memorial Day weekend but I'd definitely consider it.  Part of me would prefer to see it happen the weekend before (if you were to put it up to a vote, that's probably what I'd vote for), but course it's your decision for how you want to proceed with selecting the date.
Laura, if you're amenable to multiple dates, set up a poll in a new thread. If you really want to have it Memorial Day for the long weekend, then just do it! You could even make it a Sunday meet instead of the usual Saturday.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on November 10, 2021, 12:16:10 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 09, 2021, 05:54:22 PM

Laura, if you're amenable to multiple dates, set up a poll in a new thread. If you really want to have it Memorial Day for the long weekend, then just do it! You could even make it a Sunday meet instead of the usual Saturday.

Also, keep in mind that Scott just announced yesterday (shortly after I posted my comment above) that he's decided to host his Cedar Rapids/Iowa City IA meet on May 21.
-A.J. from Michigan

JMoses24

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 08, 2021, 02:25:35 AM
Quote from: JMoses24 on November 02, 2021, 10:42:48 PM

All right, I look forward to hearing from you!

One unfortunate thing about that time period is you're basically guaranteed to have hot weather then, potentially hotter than out-of-staters are comfortable with. I did my OKC meet in mid-June, and it was still pretty hot then. Any earlier than that, though, and you risk running into tornado season (although a minority might well find the risk of running into some of our famed severe weather a plus; I think at least one meet held elsewhere has turned into a storm chase after the main tour was done).

Of course, on the flip side, if you go for fall, the weather will be more likely to be suitable, but you'll have to be sure to have it during a week OU is away if you want to see anything in Cleveland County, and the later you go, the more that further-away attendees may start to become worried about winter weather at the start and end of their trip.

The highlighted is exactly why I don't want to do April or May and, after this October, gives me pause about that month as well. Plus I'm likely to end up assisting/participating in a chase in those months, since weather is why I moved to OK in 2017 to begin with. If I did fall, I'd definitely do a week when OU is away or on a bye. I just need to find out what the schedule is for OU football season 2022 – if they finalize it in February as they did this year, that gives me time to look at the relevant dates.

Scott5114

I think we've had instances of tornadoes in all twelve months. This past October was a kind of freak occurrence; I would say it's normally a safe option.

hbelkins

There's a secondary severe weather season here in October and November, so it wouldn't be surprising for that to be the case there too.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Thinking of a 2023 follow-up to the 2-day Philly extravaganza - there is more to see than can be covered in 2 days. TBD but I already have an idea that would eat up a day in the NE Philly/suburbs area.

74/171FAN

A minimeet including the US 301 Nice Bridge Construction was something that I thought about yesterday.  The construction of the new bridge is coming along, and the northern section already has had beams placed on some piers.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 29, 2021, 10:00:05 AM
A minimeet including the US 301 Nice Bridge Construction was something that I thought about yesterday.

Should I add it to the list as a possibility for 2022?
-A.J. from Michigan

74/171FAN

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 29, 2021, 05:58:42 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 29, 2021, 10:00:05 AM
A minimeet including the US 301 Nice Bridge Construction was something that I thought about yesterday.

Should I add it to the list as a possibility for 2022?

Sure, but I think that I would need some sights to find around Dahlgren on the VA side to make this worthwhile IMO.

froggie

I want to say we had a meet somewhere between Dahlgren and Fredericksburg a decade or two ago...

74/171FAN

I can definitely say that any East End Connector meet will not be before the summer of 2022.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.