News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Control City Freak (YouTube Channel)

Started by jaehak, September 16, 2021, 10:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaehak

Hey all. I started a YouTube channel a few months ago that some of you may dig. It's called Control City Freak and it's about, well, control cities. Working my way through the 2dis right now, just got to 25.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7SFHyADqDvsooRYPuGVmUQ

jaehak

US20IL64

Like your channel and agree  :cool: with most of your choices of what cities to post on signs, and for sure using Limon CO is a joke!  :banghead: :spin:

Rothman

Like I've said:  Discussions about control cities make me reach for my revolver.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Good videos; however, I am going to forewarn you about Illinois control cities.  IDOT uses two tiers of control cities very consistently.  One is a primary control, used at interstate to interstate junctions; and the other is a secondary control, used everywhere else outside the City of Chicago.  As an example, I-55 has primary controls of St Louis and Chicago, with secondary controls of Joliet, Bloomington, Springfield, and East St Louis.

As for worst control cities, I'm surprised "Interstate 57" on I-24 isn't above Limon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SkyPesos

Can't wait for the I-70 video, and its long list of interesting control cities, starting off with Baltimore  :D

Scott5114

I just watched your I-27 video. I like your voice-over style, and the idea is interesting, but I'd like to suggest some ideas!

As it is now, the video doesn't offer much more information than looking up the list of AASHTO control cities and hunting around for signs on GSV. Which is fine, some people might rather watch a video than do that themselves. But I think it might be interesting if each of the control cities had a brief discussion of the city that explains why you might be traveling here on this road, maybe mention a few geography facts like the population, major industries here, or some historical facts. With that as background, you could also discuss why you think the choice was made to make it a control city if it's not an obvious choice. At the end of the I-27 video, you mention Dumas and Pampa and say not many people will have heard of them. That would have been a great time to spend a few minutes educating about those towns and theorizing why they may have ended up on the sign.

For the photography, instead of GSV, why not use roadgeek-taken photos or videos? It would be a great way to showcase some of the photography talent in the hobby, and would both be nicer to look at and would expose those photos to a wider audience. Obviously, for ethical reasons you need to get permission to use from the original author and credit them in the video, but I think most roadgeeks would be quite happy to have their photos appear in another roadgeek's video.

I think this would make your channel likely to appeal to a wider audience outside of just roadgeeks!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

achilles765

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 04, 2021, 01:52:08 AM
I just watched your I-27 video. I like your voice-over style, and the idea is interesting, but I'd like to suggest some ideas!

As it is now, the video doesn't offer much more information than looking up the list of AASHTO control cities and hunting around for signs on GSV. Which is fine, some people might rather watch a video than do that themselves. But I think it might be interesting if each of the control cities had a brief discussion of the city that explains why you might be traveling here on this road, maybe mention a few geography facts like the population, major industries here, or some historical facts. With that as background, you could also discuss why you think the choice was made to make it a control city if it's not an obvious choice. At the end of the I-27 video, you mention Dumas and Pampa and say not many people will have heard of them. That would have been a great time to spend a few minutes educating about those towns and theorizing why they may have ended up on the sign.

For the photography, instead of GSV, why not use roadgeek-taken photos or videos? It would be a great way to showcase some of the photography talent in the hobby, and would both be nicer to look at and would expose those photos to a wider audience. Obviously, for ethical reasons you need to get permission to use from the original author and credit them in the video, but I think most roadgeeks would be quite happy to have their photos appear in another roadgeek's video.

I think this would make your channel likely to appeal to a wider audience outside of just roadgeeks!

I have seen and subscribed to this channel and like it, but this person has a very GOOD idea...if you did this it would increase views substantially I would imagine.  I would love to see this
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

jaehak

Quote from: Brandon on October 03, 2021, 04:20:25 PM
Good videos; however, I am going to forewarn you about Illinois control cities.  IDOT uses two tiers of control cities very consistently.  One is a primary control, used at interstate to interstate junctions; and the other is a secondary control, used everywhere else outside the City of Chicago.  As an example, I-55 has primary controls of St Louis and Chicago, with secondary controls of Joliet, Bloomington, Springfield, and East St Louis.

As for worst control cities, I'm surprised "Interstate 57" on I-24 isn't above Limon.

Oh, I'm prepared for that. I grew up in Kansas but my whole extended family is from Chicago and I spent a few years there myself, so I've spent lots of time on Illinois interstates. Thanks for watching!

jaehak

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 03, 2021, 09:00:05 PM
Can't wait for the I-70 video, and its long list of interesting control cities, starting off with Baltimore  :D
Ha! I'm actually most excited for 70. It's my hometown road and probably my favorite. It may be a 10-parter.

jaehak

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 04, 2021, 01:52:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, great ideas here. I do try to get into the weeds on the reasoning for some of the signs here and there and I'm trying to do more of that, along with some personal anecdotes. I'm also starting a new segment on the next video where I breakdown the list for what I think the control cities should be. I like the photos idea, definitely something I'll look into in the future. I do throw on my own here and there and definitely agree with crediting the photographer (which is why I use GSV or Apple flyovers for nearly everything, I don't wanna get flagged for any copyright issues so I've erred on the side of caution so far).

Appreciate the ideas!

SkyPesos

Quote from: jaehak on October 05, 2021, 01:52:36 PM
Ha! I'm actually most excited for 70. It's my hometown road and probably my favorite. It may be a 10-parter.
I grew up on 2 cities served by I-70, and a third that's 50 miles due south of it, and I-70 as an interstate have some interesting quirks, including the control cities:
- Baltimore (shoutout to HighwayStar here  :sombrero:)
- DC used to be signed in some places, including at Breezewood. I think the signage for it was removed recently.
- Breezewood
- Actually most of the control cities between St Louis and Breezewood are relatively normal, and what you would expect (Indianapolis, Dayton, Columbus, Wheeling, Washington PA, Pittsburgh)
- Wentzville being used for WB in the St Louis suburbs more and more
- And the general habit of MoDOT switching control cities at every other interchange. Columbia is a common one because of this
- Not sure about Kansas
- In Colorado, there's Limon, a big debate point here. Imo if a city doesn't have a hospital, it's not worth control city status.
- Then in Utah, the various small towns on the route, and the one-off "Las Vegas" sign.

jaehak

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 05, 2021, 02:11:33 PM
Quote from: jaehak on October 05, 2021, 01:52:36 PM
I grew up on 2 cities served by I-70, and a third that's 50 miles due south of it, and I-70 as an interstate have some interesting quirks, including the control cities:
- Baltimore (shoutout to HighwayStar here  :sombrero:)
- DC used to be signed in some places, including at Breezewood. I think the signage for it was removed recently.
- Breezewood
- Actually most of the control cities between St Louis and Breezewood are relatively normal, and what you would expect (Indianapolis, Dayton, Columbus, Wheeling, Washington PA, Pittsburgh)
- Wentzville being used for WB in the St Louis suburbs more and more
- And the general habit of MoDOT switching control cities at every other interchange. Columbia is a common one because of this
- Not sure about Kansas
- In Colorado, there's Limon, a big debate point here. Imo if a city doesn't have a hospital, it's not worth control city status.
- Then in Utah, the various small towns on the route, and the one-off "Las Vegas" sign.

I'll look more carefully when I make the vid, but 70 in Kansas was pretty sensible last time I drove it. Ignoring secondaries: west - Topeka, Salina, Hays, Denver. East - Salina (was usually on the 3rd line with Hays as secondary from what I remember), Topeka, Kansas City. I remember Denver being signed on an overhead at the turnpike split in Topeka when I was a kid (always as Denver Colo for whatever reason) but that's long gone, although it still shows up on a random mileage sign in Lawrence

US 89

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 05, 2021, 02:11:33 PM

It's not even a one-off - Las Vegas is the westbound control city at most exits west of Richfield.

thspfc

Interested to see your takes on Illinois' control cities. And of course, Limon. Ick.

jaehak

Quote from: thspfc on October 07, 2021, 09:33:22 PM
Interested to see your takes on Illinois' control cities. And of course, Limon. Ick.

I'm guessing I'll make it to my first real look at Illinois in early November with 39. I've just done 29 so just 2 short roads and one monster to go before 39.

Crash_It

Channel would be more valuable if:

You actually drove these roads and through a couple of the cities and provide the same facts rather than use stock Google maps images. Otherwise, this is just something that anyone can do on Google maps or look up on Wikipedia. This is my honest opinion imo

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on October 07, 2021, 11:35:59 PM
Channel would be more valuable if:

You actually drove your car purposely into dangerous situations so you can capture shock footage of your road rage.  You probably ought to get on trying to convince the world that Indiana isn't flat (sorry, Illinois is my domain).  Most importantly, you need to talk ghouls that one might encounter on any given roadway.  Amazed (well not really) you haven't followed my masterpiece template to YouTube success.

FIFY

US20IL64

When doing Chicago area, interested to see what you think of "control states" on our BGS's.
I think Indiana is fine for control, since Gary has shrunken. NW Indiana is a commonly used term for the "east suburbs".

jp the roadgeek

Cant wait to see his take on I-95 and "All Maine Points"
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Crash_It

Quote from: US20IL64 on October 08, 2021, 10:51:26 AM
When doing Chicago area, interested to see what you think of "control states" on our BGS's.
I think Indiana is fine for control, since Gary has shrunken. NW Indiana is a commonly used term for the "east suburbs".

IDOT and ISTHA are right for just putting Indiana as a control. No one would want to go to Gary or Hammond for that matter. Within Indiana, none of the BGS say Gary either.

jaehak

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 08, 2021, 12:53:08 PM

I've driven that. Kinda dig that one. Sure it should probably be Portland but definitely some style points there.

jaehak

Quote from: US20IL64 on October 08, 2021, 10:51:26 AM

Agreed. I'm also fine with Wisconsin between the Loop and the Edens split. Iowa is the only one that should go imo

hotdogPi

Quote from: jaehak on October 08, 2021, 02:44:37 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 08, 2021, 12:53:08 PM

I've driven that. Kinda dig that one. Sure it should probably be Portland but definitely some style points there.

It's not a good choice. Some points in Maine are better reached via NH 16.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheHighwayMan3561

How the heck did you spend 7 1/2 minutes talking about I-27? Wouldn't that need about 7 1/2 seconds?  :bigass:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.