ARDOT Starting Process of Replacing US 49 railroad bridge in Helena

Started by MikieTimT, October 02, 2021, 11:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

jbrocato

This isn't about replacing the Mississippi River Bridge.  It's about replacing a bridge over the Arkansas Midland Railroad.

bwana39

Quote from: jbrocato on October 05, 2021, 09:27:28 PM
This isn't about replacing the Mississippi River Bridge.  It's about replacing a bridge over the Arkansas Midland Railroad.

While it is  a project, it certainly is not the $200M project the original title suggests!
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Wayward Memphian

Damn shame then.

Build it at least 4 lanes wide connect to Ark 1 via new 4 lane divided bypass of Helena and fill in the gaps on the existing 4 lane to Forrest City to I- 40

Reroute US 49 from Jonesboro to Helena along Ark 1 since they are rerouting US 63 down existing US 49.

Then MS can push to do I-69 to meet it or build a 4 lane to Batesville sometime between now and 2121.

bwana39

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 06, 2021, 09:38:22 AM

Damn shame then.

Build it at least 4 lanes wide connect to Ark 1 via new 4 lane divided bypass of Helena and fill in the gaps on the existing 4 lane to Forrest City to I- 40

Reroute US 49 from Jonesboro to Helena along Ark 1 since they are rerouting US 63 down existing US 49.

Then MS can push to do I-69 to meet it or build a 4 lane to Batesville sometime between now and 2121.

I agree there needs to be another bridge between between Arkansas and Northern Mississippi. It should however be a good bit farther north.  Something that services metro-Memphis. This bridge still has use left in it for the local and interregional traffic. There is still a need for a bridge that farm equipment can drive over.  This bridge is a serviceable facility for where it is.  New construction should be a for a Memphis bridge, not a rural bridge.

MikieTimT

ARDOT certainly flubbed the article that I linked.  I don't see how they can word it like this and not have folks think it's the Mississippi River bridge:

Department Seeking Public Input about Proposed Plans to Replace the Highway 49 Bridge in Helena

PUBLISHED Date: October 1, 2021

Share on facebook
Share on email
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

PHILLIPS COUNTY (10-1) — The Arkansas Department of Transportation (ARDOT) will conduct an online public involvement meeting about the proposed plans to replace the bridge on Highway 49 in Helena.

The public is invited to listen, view meeting materials, and provide written comments. The website will be available for comments until 4:30 p.m. on Monday, October 18. Citizens will have an opportunity to ask questions and make comment during a "live"  virtual presentation from Monday, October 4 through Monday, October 18.

Link To Virtual Meeting: (click here)

To access the online public meeting, click on the link above.  It will take you to the online neighborhood public meeting website. This website will provide project materials and handouts that would have been shown at the in-person meetings. A separate link (on that page) will provide a Spanish version of the presentation.  There will also be an option to send online comment forms to ARDOT staff, or you can print the form and mail it to, Environmental Division, 10324 Interstate 30, Little Rock, AR 72209.

If you do not have internet access, please contact Karla Sims at 501-569-2000 to ask questions about the proposed project and how to access project information at karla.sims@ardot.gov.

bwana39

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 07, 2021, 12:05:44 AM

ARDOT certainly flubbed the article that I linked.  I don't see how they can word it like this and not have folks think it's the Mississippi River bridge:

You certainly have that right. Then again as Pulaski County oriented as Arkansas government is, the person who wrote this may be unaware that Helena is by the Mississippi River...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.