News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's the best computer brand and what's the best price?

Started by tolbs17, October 06, 2021, 10:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Best computer brands

Dell
4 (18.2%)
HP
9 (40.9%)
ASUS
7 (31.8%)
Acer
2 (9.1%)
Lenovo
4 (18.2%)
Or switch to Apple?
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

tolbs17

Since we are talking about Windows 11 and my computer (and I'm sure others as well) doesn't support it, I wanted to make this thread because my computer is 8 years old and I think it's about time to upgrade soon.

What's the best computer brand and what's the best price for it?

When I was looking at the prices, it seems like $400 is what I see the most.

For me, I'll vote Dell and HP. ASUS seems a little too expensive and I'm not too crazy into gaming.

You can vote twice.

Max Rockatansky

All my votes would go to Commodore due to a pretty assort of classic games that were on the Commodore 64.

Takumi

You can get some good Asus models for cheap. My laptop was about $500.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

tolbs17

Quote from: Takumi on October 06, 2021, 11:35:48 PM
You can get some good Asus models for cheap. My laptop was about $500.
I may consider it.... My brother has a ASUS tower and he loves it! So I guess you are saying those are the best.

WillWeaverRVA

ASUS makes some really good equipment, and I feel it doesn't have as much bloatware pre-installed as some of the other brands. Even new ASUS computers seem to be priced well, too.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

kalvado

Lenovo is a former IBM stuff. In IBM days, their hardware was about engineering winning over the common sense. My limited experience is that Lenovo inherited a lot of that. Personally I wouldn't pay for that -  not until discounts go past 75% off list price - but nobody was fired for buying IBM.
Acer is a budgetary brand, and my impression is that they cut corners a bit too efficiently.
Dell, and to a lesser extent HP, are in US business market. Not sure if they are a good idea for home use. Heard a few people comment "It's not Lenovo, but good enough"
Asus, from my perspective, is a balance for home user. I assume large IT departments have some other considerations.   

SkyPesos

kalvado

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 07, 2021, 12:07:19 PM
custom build, nuff said
I never heard about custom built laptops. 
Desktops... May be a bit of headache for mass IT management, definitely worth it for home.

SkyPesos

Quote from: kalvado on October 07, 2021, 12:15:15 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 07, 2021, 12:07:19 PM
custom build, nuff said
I never heard about custom built laptops. 
Desktops... May be a bit of headache for mass IT management, definitely worth it for home.
OP didn't mention desktop or laptop, so if he's referring to desktops, building my own is my preferred choice.

hbelkins

Apple isn't listed, but it should be. I'm still trying to find a used 2012 MacBook (the last version that ran Snow Leopard, and therefore the last version I can use Adobe CS2 on) but prices are higher for a nine-year-old laptop than what I'd pay for a new Windows laptop.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 06, 2021, 11:28:25 PM
All my votes would go to Commodore due to a pretty assort of classic games that were on the Commodore 64.

LOAD "FROGGER",8,1

Chris

dlsterner

Quote from: hbelkins on October 07, 2021, 12:38:41 PM
Apple isn't listed, but it should be. I'm still trying to find a used 2012 MacBook (the last version that ran Snow Leopard, and therefore the last version I can use Adobe CS2 on) but prices are higher for a nine-year-old laptop than what I'd pay for a new Windows laptop.

I agree, no love for Apple in the poll?  If you want, install BootCamp so that you can run macOS when you want to and Windows when you have to.

By the way H.B. ... have you tried http://www.macofalltrades.com ?  (Disclaimer - I have no connection to them other than being a satisfied customer)  I've been known to buy gently used laptops from them for when I travel (and don't need a high end machine).  Back in 2017 bought a 2013-era MacBook Pro that still serves me well for travel duty, running Catalina (it can go up to Big Sur, but not Monterey).

Pink Jazz

I went with HP for my laptop since they were the least expensive option at the time that had 16GB of RAM and and 15.6" FHD IPS display. I have since upgraded the stock 256GB Kioxia SSD with a 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31.

For desktops, I always prefer to build my own.

Scott5114

My desktop is a home build. Next desktop I put together (which will be soon, as my business will need one) will also be a home build.

My laptop is a System76. Never had a problem with any of their stuff.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Added 2 more options

Pink Jazz

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 07, 2021, 05:17:31 PM
Added 2 more options

Those are operating systems, not brands.  Linux can be installed on any Intel/AMD Windows PC from the aforementioned brands.  Macs are made by Apple.

tolbs17

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 07, 2021, 05:21:26 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on October 07, 2021, 05:17:31 PM
Added 2 more options

Those are operating systems, not brands.  Linux can be installed on any Intel/AMD Windows PC from the aforementioned brands.  Macs are made by Apple.
Fixed now...

hbelkins

Quote from: dlsterner on October 07, 2021, 02:47:46 PM

I agree, no love for Apple in the poll?  If you want, install BootCamp so that you can run macOS when you want to and Windows when you have to.

By the way H.B. ... have you tried http://www.macofalltrades.com ?  (Disclaimer - I have no connection to them other than being a satisfied customer)  I've been known to buy gently used laptops from them for when I travel (and don't need a high end machine).  Back in 2017 bought a 2013-era MacBook Pro that still serves me well for travel duty, running Catalina (it can go up to Big Sur, but not Monterey).

I had not heard of them. I got my last one from either Other World Computing or Small Dog (can't remember which, as I've purchased from both before.) I have typically been looking on eBay. I'll give them a look. Thanks for the tip.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bing101

Intel Nucs are the best in my view because you can modify parts such as SSD's and RAM to run on Linux distros such as Ubuntu, debian, Red Hat or Manjaro.
Raspberry Pi is another one to be considered.

Ned Weasel

IBM.

Oh wait, they don't make PCs anymore.  How the hell does IBM not make PCs anymore?  That would be like if Ford suddenly stopped making sedans.

Oh wait.

What about Atari computers?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Scott5114

Don't forget the Amiga. One of my favorite games of all time (Lemmings, 1991) was an Amiga original that ended up later being ported to every toaster in the universe.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

OMG useless... Help me... I ran into this issue this afternoon and now I can't get back in...  :banghead:

Dirt Roads

And not the VIC-80?  I couldn't afford one, so I ended up with a Radio Shack TRS-80.

DenverBrian

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 08, 2021, 05:32:30 PM
OMG useless... Help me... I ran into this issue this afternoon and now I can't get back in...  :banghead:

Are you saying clicking on Restart or Advanced Options does nothing?

tolbs17

Quote from: DenverBrian on October 08, 2021, 07:31:30 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on October 08, 2021, 05:32:30 PM

Are you saying clicking on Restart or Advanced Options does nothing?
If I click on Restart, it shows the same screen and if I go to Advance Options, it shows me the settings that I DON'T know about!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.