Regional Boards > Southeast

Any Ideas for Tackling Wilmington, NC's Worsening Traffic?

(1/5) > >>

architect77:
Even during the Winter months, Wilmington's traffic is bad, and it moves slower on the main throughfares than in Atlanta.

All of the road enthusiasts here ought to be able to offer meaningful and realistic proposals for Wilmington's present and future mobility.

It's going to require some outside-the-box thinking.

All I know is that now you spend a lot of daily minutes to go anywhere. The main roads are packed and the major intersections take 5 minutes to get through.

Could Jersey jughandles be added to remove the left-turn phases?

Could we dig trenches for left turns to go under intersections?

Is there room for some sort of parallel roads to be added for express purposes?

Can a diverging diamond concept be applied to a regular intersection and not just at freeway junctions?

I don't think freeways will help since the traffic is mostly local in nature, but something needs to be done now. I find myself loathing driving when I'm there, and that's in the off season.

fillup420:
I was in Wilmington/Hampstead recently and I concur, the traffic there is dreadful.

No matter what else is done to mitigate it, less traffic lights must be a part of it. The drive into Wilmington on US 17 south is just light after light after light. Its terrible, traffic backs up through lights even at 1pm. It also doesnt help that the average driver aggression level is way higher than what Im used to.

froggie:
A big complicating factor is the style of development that is allowed (especially in the South in my experience) with multiple private driveway/access points along the arterial road and an acute lack of frontage roads.  It's been very well documented that as the number of access points per mile increases, both crashes and congestion increase.  There is no reasonable way to fix this, and if NC's experience with the Map Act fiasco is any indication, reserving the right-of-way for such would be both costly and litigious.

--- Quote from: architect77 ---Can a diverging diamond concept be applied to a regular intersection and not just at freeway junctions?
--- End quote ---

A similar concept to what you're thinking that exists (but is still new) is the Continuous Flow Intersection (also called the Displaced Left Turn).  In this scenario, left turns come off the mainline BEFORE the intersection, then at the cross road, left turning traffic turns left at the same time as the green for through traffic.  The only existing example I could find in your area is at GA 400/53 in Dawson County.

RoadPelican:
There is one intersection in Charlotte with displaced left turns.  State Route 16 and Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road.

SkyPesos:

--- Quote from: froggie on November 08, 2021, 04:20:18 PM ---A big complicating factor is the style of development that is allowed (especially in the South in my experience) with multiple private driveway/access points along the arterial road and an acute lack of frontage roads.  It's been very well documented that as the number of access points per mile increases, both crashes and congestion increase.

--- End quote ---
Pretty much why I dislike (most) stroads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version