News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Places to Get Good Views of the Tappan Zee Bridge

Started by Ian, July 24, 2010, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Hey all,

Kind of random, but does anyone know where it would be a good place to photograph the Tappan Zee Bridge from the side? I know there are some streets on the Nyack side that may be a few good places, but any place in particular that would be good?

Any help appreciated!
Ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 24, 2010, 08:16:59 PM
Hey all,

Kind of random, but does anyone know where it would be a good place to photograph the Tappan Zee Bridge from the side? I know there are some streets on the Nyack side that may be a few good places, but any place in particular that would be good?

Any help appreciated!
Ian

The former South Nyack Erie Railroad station used to be right next to the approaches. The alignment is now a railtrail :)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

froggie

Or you could ride the Amtrak/Metro North line...that's what I did a few years ago.  Took photos out the train window...

Mr. Matté

Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 24, 2010, 08:16:59 PM

<AnyNewYorkGovernmentOfficial>Any photograph of any bridge makes you a possible terrorist.</ANYGO>   ;-)

Ian

I don't think taking a shot of the bridge in general is really a terrorist threat. I'd just like to take some general bridge shots from the shoreline.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 24, 2010, 11:19:15 PM
I don't think taking a shot of the bridge in general is really a terrorist threat.

tell that to Guantanamo.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

We took pictures of the Kate Shelley railroad bridge in Iowa last week. You can drive right under it via a county road. Surprised there is no surveillance of it since it is such a vital part of the Union Pacific line.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Quotetell that to Guantanamo.

I did.  Took photos in Gitmo too.

papaT10932

It's very difficult to get good shots from the Rockland County side since the birdge is so long and the superstructure is so far away from shore. I recommend the Westchester side. Try the  park near the train station in Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow. (The park's construction is not completed, but its very easy to sneak in... people do it all the time) That's where I got this shot:

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Revive 755

Quote from: hbelkins on July 25, 2010, 01:43:12 AM
We took pictures of the Kate Shelley railroad bridge in Iowa last week. You can drive right under it via a county road. Surprised there is no surveillance of it since it is such a vital part of the Union Pacific line.

I think the IowaDOT actually has signs giving directions to the Kate Shelley Bridge on US 30.

mgk920

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 25, 2010, 11:50:16 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 25, 2010, 01:43:12 AM

I think the IowaDOT actually has signs giving directions to the Kate Shelley Bridge on US 30.

When I was by there about 4-5 years ago, right before UP started construction on their new high-speed concrete bridge there, I did notice that there were concrete barrier 'fortifications' set around the old bridge's support structures closest to that county road.

I assume that there are surveillance cameras set up on it that feed into both UP's dispatcher's office and the UP Police department.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.