News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hartford's Possible Big Dig

Started by Mergingtraffic, August 06, 2010, 11:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

The Capitol Region Council of Governments is exploring how to replace the elevated portion of I-84 in Hartford.

Here is a PDF of the alternatives:  Note the comments for creating I-84 into a boulevard...most are negative.  Thanks god!

http://www.crcog.org/publications/TransportationDocs/Viaduct/Workshop2Overview.pdf

Also, one comment under the boulevard section said, the boulevard option may work if a bypass or another interstate is built.
Hello, northwestern quadrant of I-291 that was never built?
See?  By not building I-291, problems were not fixed just delayed and made worse!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

iwishiwascanadian

The Mini Big Dig idea of the Aetna Viaduct is nothing new.  People have been talking about it for the past 15 years, and unless we (The State of Connecticut) start to actively fight for federal funding nothing will get done due to the lack of funding ConnDOT gets.  That viaduct should have been gone 5-10 years ago, but we're stuck with a eyesore that cuts Hartford into two.  And now, ConnDOT closes part of it to do emergency rehabilitation to the structure so that way it doesn't fall down.  Something needs to get done, and if we have to be taxed to get something done so be it.

Anyway, out of all the options I'd rather have a tunnel but it isn't very cost-effective.  I don't see why we can't just sink the highway like it is downtown and then build over it as needed when needed.  It's less money and it begins to reconnect the city.  But this is all coming from a disenfranchised Hartfordite so knowing our luck we'll end up with the same thing we have now, a monstrosity. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.