News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NY - Albany Airport ready for its exit

Started by Dougtone, August 09, 2010, 07:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Some of you may know that the Albany International Airport does not have a direct connection from the Northway / I-87, which does not technically explain the missing Exit 3, and forces drivers going between the Northway and the airport to deal with heavy traffic at the Albany Shaker Rd. exit (Exit 4).  There is a proposal underway that would build a new road from the Northway to the Albany Airport, with construction starting in 2013 pending design approval.

Read the article at...
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Airport-ready-for-its-exit-608188.php

Ian

It's about time. It's a mess getting from the Northway to the airport.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

now if only San Diego could get freeway access to its airport.  It's gotta be the only city in the US where the most direct through route from the major international airport to the nearest freeway features six red lights, a railroad crossing, a confusingly signed left turn that most people miss, and then finally - when you are within sight of the freeway - consecutive left turns at four-way stops in a residential neighborhood.  
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 11:38:41 AM
now if only San Diego could get freeway access to its airport.  It's gotta be the only city in the US where the most direct through route from the major international airport to the nearest freeway features six red lights, a railroad crossing, a confusingly signed left turn that most people miss, and then finally - when you are within sight of the freeway - consecutive left turns at four-way stops in a residential neighborhood. 

I'm very, very surprised that when I-5 was built through the area - after US 101 had been complete as the Montgomery Freeway south of downtown - that a freeway spur like today's I-380, or even a direct access road like what Sacramento International Airport has - was not considered.

Then again, I'm surprised that they never expanded Lindbergh Field to have a second full-size runway, before downtown development made that impossible.  (Its tight location next to development put it at #10 on History Channel's list of Most Extreme Airports!)

In this vein - San Antonio's international airport was once abutted by two freeways that did not interchange (US 281 and the 410 loop) though that was rectified a few years ago.

Where was the first modern airport access road (as opposed to the usual surface streets abutting property, i.e. Midway) built?
Chris Sampang

froggie

Quotenow if only San Diego could get freeway access to its airport.  It's gotta be the only city in the US where the most direct through route from the major international airport to the nearest freeway features six red lights, a railroad crossing, a confusingly signed left turn that most people miss, and then finally - when you are within sight of the freeway - consecutive left turns at four-way stops in a residential neighborhood.

I've never hit all-way stop signs going to/from San Diego airport.  Traffic signals galore and crossing the railroad, yes.  But not stop signs.

QuoteThen again, I'm surprised that they never expanded Lindbergh Field to have a second full-size runway, before downtown development made that impossible.  (Its tight location next to development put it at #10 on History Channel's list of Most Extreme Airports!)

I don't think it's downtown development that hems it in...not when you have the harbor immediately south (across Harbor Dr), and the Marine Corps Recruit Station immediately north.  No place to put a parallel runway, period, regardless of downtown development.

QuoteWhere was the first modern airport access road (as opposed to the usual surface streets abutting property, i.e. Midway) built?

Not sure offhand, but a contender would be the Dulles Access Rd...opened in conjunction with Dulles Airport in 1962.

Another contender, though I need to double-check on the date on this....I believe the MSP access road was built in conjunction with the nearby freeway section of MN 5, completed ca. 1960.

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on August 11, 2010, 01:04:04 PM
I've never hit all-way stop signs going to/from San Diego airport.  Traffic signals galore and crossing the railroad, yes.  But not stop signs.

wait, there is only one.

going up Grape Street, if you want to get on 5 south there is a direct freeway on-ramp (though the gore point sign is badly misplaced, making it look like you have to cross under first, as opposed to hitting the well-camouflaged on-ramp before the freeway that appears instead to be signed with an equally poorly placed DO NOT ENTER!)

to get to northbound 5, you cross under the freeway, then make a left onto Albatross (no stop sign there - I had misremembered), north on Albatross to Hawthorn (4 way stop!), turn left, head west on Hawthorn into the intersection with the 5 off-ramp (with STOP AHEAD that you don't actually obey), cross Brant and there is the freeway entrance.

that's the on-ramp that the cab drivers take.  if there's a better one, I'd like to know about it!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.