News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Warren County, NY's County Routes

Started by Ian, August 12, 2010, 11:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

So apperently Warren County, NY never liked to sign its county routes with the pentagon county route shields like the rest of New York uses. I know that sometimes you'd find a very small rectangular number shield sometimes, but that's about the closest CR shield you'd find in the county. Well, traveling around the Lake George area, I was shocked to find a Warren CR 10 shield posted on Schroon River Road (CR 10) just after CR 11 in Riverband. It was new because it wasn't there the last time I was there (January) There was also another one across the intersection facing the opposite direction. Here is the photo of said shield:

Notice the dark shade of blue (I thought it was black when I saw it at first glance). Now, while traveling around the area I was on NY 9N northbound in Diamond Point. In the center of the small hamlet, we passed Diamond Point Road, and the first sign along it was a Warren CR 35 shield! And down the road a little at Coolidge Hill Road, a Warren CR 49 shield! Both of the same color and both new as they weren't there the last time I was there. I can try to get some photos of those tomorrow. So I assume that Warren County has finally gotten started on signing their county roads with pentagon shields?

-Ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dougtone

This must be a new development, since I did not see any county route shields in Warren County the last time I rolled through (back in June).  In the before times, the only pentagon county route shield that you'd see in Warren County was one installed by NYSDOT (CR 23 at NY 149's western end).  But in recent years, some more counties in New York (Tompkins County, Hamilton County, etc.) have been posting more county route shields.  That's good for me since it's easier to identify which roads I may want to travel on here in the Empire State.  I may need to get up to Warren County sometime in the next few weeks to check this out, especially since I have been wanting to head up to the Adirondacks soon anyway.

Also, here is a photo of the small rectangular shield that Warren County has been using.

Roadgeek Adam

Are you camping or visiting in Lake George? :D - I should be here this week, but we haven't gone for the 2nd year in a row :(. Next time we're up, I'll have to see.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Ian

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on August 14, 2010, 12:55:03 AM
Are you camping or visiting in Lake George? :D - I should be here this week, but we haven't gone for the 2nd year in a row :(. Next time we're up, I'll have to see.

Visiting, my aunt and uncle have a house in Bolton Landing. Have been going up there during the summer and winter time for about 7 years.
Youtube l Flickr

Dougtone

I was in Warren County earlier today, and it seems like the pentagon shields are sprouting up all over the county, at the beginnings of each county route.  A few of the small, hand-sized blue rectangle shields remain.  I suspect it has something to do with the most recent MUTCD.  Most shields have the darker shade of blue, but I saw a few county route shields with the more traditional shade of blue for county route shields.  I believe that this is something new for the county, as I did not see the shields posted last year in Warren County.

Ian

Interesting. It will be neat to see new county shields in Warren County. I've always wondered why they never signed their county routes before.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.