News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-84 EIS in trouble!

Started by Mergingtraffic, August 21, 2010, 12:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

After getting full money from the state bond commission, the EIS for the I-84 widening to 6 and 8 lanes between Danbury & Waterbury is on hold b/c of funding.  

This is aggravating.  The EIS has started and now it stopped half way through.   This, after years and years of trying to get it started for one reason or another.  It was supposed to start in 2003 and was delayed after promises from the DOT it would start "next year" or "this spring" and it didn't start until 2009!

www.i-84eis.com

Last summer, the DOT said the current state budget would not affect the EIS b/c it was already paid for.  Well, i have come to the comclusion you can't believe anything the DOT says.

Also, the widening project east of Waterbury was also delayed and I see backups on both sides of the future widening project in Waterbury and it is a bottlneck, 3-lanes down to two.  That is a backup that doesn't have to be
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

What did ever happen to the rest of the widening project from Route 69 (Exit 23) to Austin Road (Exit 25-A) in Waterbury?  

Ever since the debacle over the portion east of there to Southington, I've heard nothing of finishing the rest of the work.  I believe though they were (are?) going to straighten out some of the curves 'cause it does get pretty nasty there between Scott Road, Harpers Ferry Road, and Hamilton Ave.  Until then, the oldest signs on an interstate in Connecticut (New England?) remain, including the jumbo-sized "69" shields.  

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on August 21, 2010, 09:12:09 PM
What did ever happen to the rest of the widening project from Route 69 (Exit 23) to Austin Road (Exit 25-A) in Waterbury?  

Ever since the debacle over the portion east of there to Southington, I've heard nothing of finishing the rest of the work.  I believe though they were (are?) going to straighten out some of the curves 'cause it does get pretty nasty there between Scott Road, Harpers Ferry Road, and Hamilton Ave.  Until then, the oldest signs on an interstate in Connecticut (New England?) remain, including the jumbo-sized "69" shields.  

I believe the widening project is still on the books but won't start prior to 2014 unless a miracle happens.

Yes, there are quite a few old BGS signs there.  I'm not sure how old, but at least the late 70s.
The following non-reflective button copy from the late 70s..I think or before!?!?

I-84 EB:  The I-84 Left Lanes and CT-69 Right Lane BGS on the C&D Roadway.
(Also Exit 25A from the early 80s, not button copy but an attached center tab with upper border only.)
CT-69 NB The I-84 Next Left BGS
I-84 WB:  Exit 25 Exit now sign and the Exit 23 1/2 mile (if memory serves correctly)

Mergingtraffic

Not to get too off topic here, but a new Exit 11 1/2 mile BGS is up on I-84 WB with a right alligned exit tab with liner!  Plus a new pipe gantry.

Now all they have to do is put up a 1 Mile Exit 11 BGS and we're all set.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: doofy103 on August 21, 2010, 09:48:55 PM
Not to get too off topic here, but a new Exit 11 1/2 mile BGS is up on I-84 WB with a right alligned exit tab with liner!  Plus a new pipe gantry.
(It only took them 3 years to put it up)
Now all they have to do is put up a 1 Mile Exit 11 BGS and we're all set.
Fixed quoting. ~S

Ian

Quote from: doofy103 on August 21, 2010, 09:48:55 PM
Not to get too off topic here, but a new Exit 11 1/2 mile BGS is up on I-84 WB with a right alligned exit tab with liner!  Plus a new pipe gantry.

Get photos when you get a chance!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.