News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Damaged - Now Demolisihed - Bridge on I-70 (between N.Stanton - Washington)

Started by Mr_Northside, October 19, 2010, 02:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

Apparently some over-height truck hit the original span, and PennDOT decided that demolition was the only way to go.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/25436390/detail.html

(Most PGH news outlets have articles on the matter)

They mention the option of replacement of a "duplicate" or a "wider" bridge.  I'm pretty sure they're working on a couple of projects on this stretch of I-70, where the highway will be slightly widened so that it's not quite as horribly substandard... so I doubt they want to build a new bridge to the old specs that they'd be stuck with.  But since it's an "emergency" it will get done, either way.

Also, it was fortunate that the bridge was part of a traditional diamond exit, allowing for a minimal "detour".
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

exit322

It'd do them some good to restructure a lot of those exits, too.  How many of the roads exited between NS & Washington even have enough traffic to really be useful?

ShawnP

PAHighways

This incident is just to the east of where the Lakeview Drive overpass was hit and damaged in 2005, and subsequently demolished.

Quote from: exit322 on October 19, 2010, 03:48:55 PM
It'd do them some good to restructure a lot of those exits, too.  How many of the roads exited between NS & Washington even have enough traffic to really be useful?

At least 21 of the 28 between 79 and 76.

ShawnP

Worst rural Interstate in the nation IMHO that stretch is. Traveled it many times going from Missouri to Deleware and back. Then that damn Scamwood exit.

PAHighways

The driver had a permit to haul the oversized load, but the permit said he was required to take the exit and get back on 70 to avoid that bridge.  Either he failed to read that part or ignored it thinking it was an error is anyone's guess.

None of the bridges along that section of 70 are marked as low clearance locations on PennDOT's Truckers' Guide.

Sykotyk

He probably either didn't pay attention that his route required him to exit or he had simply missed his exit not realizing it had come up on him so quickly.

Either way, hauling oversize, especially on I-70/I-76 in Pennsylvania requires a lot of patience. A lot of lower bridges, arched bridges, slanted bridges, etc.

I just can't believe he just drove away. Leaving the scene of an accident (injury or not) will be on his record.

PAHighways

This is not his first incident here, as he struck a bridge in Cumberland County in 2008.

Trucker Who Hit I-70 Span Had Similar Crash in '08 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

exit322

Quote from: PAHighways on October 19, 2010, 05:24:26 PM
This incident is just to the east of where the Lakeview Drive overpass was hit and damaged in 2005, and subsequently demolished.

Quote from: exit322 on October 19, 2010, 03:48:55 PM
It'd do them some good to restructure a lot of those exits, too.  How many of the roads exited between NS & Washington even have enough traffic to really be useful?

At least 21 of the 28 between 79 and 76.

So that's still 7 that can be removed allowing for upgrades of the 21 useful ones.

It's Pennsylvania, would you just toll I-80 already so you can upgrade I-70?  Or some weird logic like that?

Scott5114

To toll I-80 to pay for I-70, you have to toll I-99 to pay for I-78 which has to be tolled to pay for I-90! Or something like that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

PAHighways

Quote from: exit322 on October 24, 2010, 10:06:05 AMIt's Pennsylvania, would you just toll I-80 already so you can upgrade I-70?  Or some weird logic like that?

Upgrading 70, beyond what has been done such as between Exit 39 and Exit 43, is as likely to happen as toll booths going up on 80.

mightyace

Quote from: exit322 on October 24, 2010, 10:06:05 AM
It's Pennsylvania, would you just toll I-80 already so you can upgrade I-70?  Or some weird logic like that?

The reason that the I-80 tolling went down in flames was that the state wanted I-80 tolls to pay for transportation needs outside of maintaining I-80 which is contrary to current federal law.

There are two choices to use tolls to pay for I-70 upgrades.
1) Add tolls to that section of I-70.
2) Divert existing turnpike tolls to the project.  (That is happening to a degree with money going from the PTC into PennDOT's general fund.)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

CanesFan27

All of this wouldn't be a problem if PennDot's plans to build a 'new' I-70 didn't get financially starved.

http://www.gribblenation.com/swparoads/70/

mightyace

Maybe we should actually thank this trucker.

He's forcing PennDOT to replace bridges that need to be replaced.  :biggrin:

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on October 26, 2010, 10:50:03 AM

He's forcing PennDOT to replace bridges that need to be replaced.  :biggrin:

can he accidentally plow into Breezewood with a cargo of aviation fuel?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

Mightyace,

Actually I believe that PennDot has a case to charge the trucker - or at least his insurance company - to replace the bridge. 

mightyace

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on October 26, 2010, 10:50:03 AM

He's forcing PennDOT to replace bridges that need to be replaced.  :biggrin:

Yes, thankfully he is only crashing into inanimate objects so far.

Adam is correct, PennDOT is planning to give the bill to the trucking company and their insurance company.

Mr_Northside

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10299/1098195-147.stm

Looks like they're hoping to have a new one opened by the end of June.

Fixed URL. -- rmf67
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

CanesFan27

A more detailed follow up in today's paper.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/10300/1098262-55.stm

The biggest takeaway from the article:

"The new bridge will have a 16-foot-6-inch vertical clearance, meeting current interstate highway standards, Ms. Duda said at a town meeting in Somerset Township. The old bridge had a 14-foot-9-inch clearance. The new span will be longer and wider and will accommodate future expansion of I-70 to six lanes"

Expansion of 70 to six lanes?  Hmmm, very interesting.

PAHighways

Unless there is confusion between the writer and District 12-0, and the longer bridge is intended for the type of upgrade 70 had in the Belle Vernon area.  If you added the additional width of the median and the wider shoulder, it probably could add up to the width of an additional lane in each direction.

Mr_Northside

Yeah... I read that this morning and assumed the widening was for median/shoulder, as I've heard they were currently doing that in a project (closer to 519 I think) elsewhere, but never heard anything about 6-laning.

rickmastfan67

And if they were widening I-70 to three lanes anywhere, I would do it between the two I-79 junctions myself.

JREwing78

PennDOT would be stupid to not make it sufficiently wide to handle 6 lanes (or even 8) on the Turnpike. Given how long the original bridge lasted, it wouldn't be outrageous to expect this one to last just as long, and it'll definitely need 6 lanes by then.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.