News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Damaged - Now Demolisihed - Bridge on I-70 (between N.Stanton - Washington)

Started by Mr_Northside, October 19, 2010, 02:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

CanesFan27

Jon Schmitz of the P-G wrote me back on the six lane possibility and said that PennDOT has no plans to widen 70 to six lanes at this time.  THe new bridge will have a 100 year life expectancy, and hey anything is possible between now and 2111, I guess.

I can't even begin to imagine the cost of a six lane I-70.  The right-of-way acquisition, let alone building new bridges to replace the Speers over the Mon and the Smithton High Level over the Yough would cost well into the billions.  If 70 is ever going to be built to six lanes, count on it being tolled.

LeftyJR

Hey, even getting that section to modern standards for a four lane road would be great!

Mr_Northside

Quote from: LeftyJR on October 28, 2010, 12:12:26 PM
Hey, even getting that section to modern standards for a four lane road would be great!

You took the words right off of my keyboard.

Quote from: CanesFan27 on October 28, 2010, 12:28:17 AM
I can't even begin to imagine the cost of a six lane I-70.  The right-of-way acquisition, let alone building new bridges to replace the Speers over the Mon and the Smithton High Level over the Yough would cost well into the billions.  If 70 is ever going to be built to six lanes, count on it being tolled.

Yeah... I have no expectations to ever see a wholesale 6-laning in my lifetime. The Smithton bridge was just significantly rehabbed not that long ago.
Though I'm sure when it's time to replace the older Speers bridge (I have no idea what it's "life-expectancy" is... when it will be time to replace instead of intensive rehab) , it will probably accommodate 6-lanes; even if they are just add/drops for the adjacent exits (Similar to the I-79-Ohio River Bridge).  Actually, looking at it, I'm sure PennDOT is going to try and extend it's life as long as possible.  It looks like a replacement span will be a major headache.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.