News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

More NYC bridge and tunnel renamings

Started by Mr. Matté, December 08, 2010, 02:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

More silly re-namings on their way: The Queensboro/59th Street Bridge will become the Koch Bridge and the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel will become the Hugh Carey Tunnel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/nyregion/08koch.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=bridge&st=cse

papaT10932

This news is utterly devastating   :-(

mightyace

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 08, 2010, 02:29:23 PM
and the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel will become the Hugh Carey Tunnel.

Now, if they were renaming it the Drew Carey Tunnel, that would be another story.  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

NE2

I guess they were able to resist naming the Willy B after Cock Koch :)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dougtone

While I'll argue that Ed Koch and Hugh Carey did more for New York City and New York State than Robert F. Kennedy did, I also think that none of these guys are necessarily worthy of having a bridge or tunnel named after them.

nyratk1

Quote from: Dougtone on December 08, 2010, 08:41:37 PM
While I'll argue that Ed Koch and Hugh Carey did more for New York City and New York State than Robert F. Kennedy did, I also think that none of these guys are necessarily worthy of having a bridge or tunnel named after them.

Meh, everything will be renamed after Giuliani and Bloomberg in 30 years :(

Duke87

Politicians have a fetish for randomly renaming shit after people. It's a simple fact of life. Fortunately, the general populace tends to ignore it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadgeek Adam

I'd also like to point something

ED KOCH IS NOT DEAD.

That is all.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

SidS1045

Neither is Hugh Carey.

Two more names New Yorkers will never use for these structures.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Michael in Philly

Quote from: SidS1045 on December 08, 2010, 11:09:14 PM
Neither is Hugh Carey.

I don't know; my last few trips to North Jersey (where I grew up) I heard plenty of traffic reporters talk about "the RFK."  One added parenthetically that that's the Triborough.  Personally, I'm renaming-averse, perhaps because I'm change-averse in general.  It (renaming, as opposed to change) should be done very sparingly.  RFK I'll accept, like JFK and Martin Luther King - being assassinated helps.  Carey and Koch, not so much.  (If either of them did anything in particular for the bridge and tunnel in question, that might justify it.  After they're dead.)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

papaT10932

With unemployment the way it is, it's hard to believe that new construction projects are not being implemented to boost the economy. I would have no problem if a NEW bridge was built and named after Ed Koch or Robert Kennedy. But, to swoop in and rename famous landmarks, which much of the populace holds dear, after gasbag politicians.. THAT I have a problem with.  :angry:

Also, from now on, everyone is going to refer to it as the "Crotch Bridge". Just wait and see.  :meh:

SteveG1988

Its up there with the Newark Bay Bridge, it was that name for almost 40 years, and now it is the "Vincent R. Casciano Memorial Bridge"

One i would like to see renamed, due to the mans acomplishments, is the bayonne bridge. I think it would be fitting to name it after Othmar Ammann, its designer.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Michael in Philly on December 09, 2010, 08:16:56 AM
Neither is Hugh Carey.

I don't know; my last few trips to North Jersey (where I grew up) I heard plenty of traffic reporters talk about "the RFK."  One added parenthetically that that's the Triborough.  Personally, I'm renaming-averse, perhaps because I'm change-averse in general.  It (renaming, as opposed to change) should be done very sparingly.  RFK I'll accept, like JFK and Martin Luther King - being assassinated helps.  Carey and Koch, not so much.  (If either of them did anything in particular for the bridge and tunnel in question, that might justify it.  After they're dead.)

Its pretend. Very pretend. The Korean War...er...Richmond Parkway is a good example. NO ONE CALLS IT THE KOREAN WAR VETS PARKWAY. :|
Adam Seth Moss

SteveG1988

and nobody calls the PA Turnpike Extension the pearl harbor memorial extension.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mightyace

^^^

I think he's referring to the NJ Turnpike spur that connects with the PA Turnpike (future I-95) and not the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension (I-476).

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: mightyace on December 09, 2010, 12:53:51 PM
^^^

I think he's referring to the NJ Turnpike spur that connects with the PA Turnpike (future I-95) and not the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension (I-476).
Yep.
Adam Seth Moss

Stephane Dumas

I hope then that idea won't spead to other cities, just imagine if the Ambassador bridge was renamed the Coleman A. Young bridge   :-o :crazy:

mightyace

^^^

That would likely be renamed the Matty Moroun Bridge. :sombrero: :)

Quillz

What if they renamed the Golden Gate Bridge the Barry Bonds Bridge and the Bay Bridge became the Al Davis Bridge?

Alps

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 09, 2010, 09:59:02 AM
Its up there with the Newark Bay Bridge, it was that name for almost 40 years, and now it is the "Vincent R. Casciano Memorial Bridge"

One i would like to see renamed, due to the mans acomplishments, is the bayonne bridge. I think it would be fitting to name it after Othmar Ammann, its designer.
Outerbridge and Goethals got theirs, I'd definitely take your side.  (Fun fact: Holland Tunnel is unrelated to New Amsterdam/New Holland in any way.)

Alps

Quote from: Quillz on December 09, 2010, 05:42:29 PM
What if they renamed the Golden Gate Bridge the Barry Bonds Bridge and the Bay Bridge became the Al Davis Bridge?
Golden Gate Bridge would have 6 extra lanes for about ten years.  No one would be sure why, but they wouldn't question it.  Then suddenly the bridge would start falling apart and cost millions to maintain.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 09, 2010, 07:51:29 PM
Golden Gate Bridge would have 6 extra lanes for about ten years.  No one would be sure why, but they wouldn't question it.  Then suddenly the bridge would start falling apart and cost millions to maintain.

after several years of falling apart, it would be moderately serviceable, and available for use, and absolutely no one would use it

then it would fall into the bay and no one would ever speak of it again, and it would not be even considered for the National Registry of Historic Bridges.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 09, 2010, 07:50:46 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 09, 2010, 09:59:02 AM

Outerbridge and Goethals got theirs, I'd definitely take your side.  (Fun fact: Holland Tunnel is unrelated to New Amsterdam/New Holland in any way.)

Least the Outerbridge was named after a person (Outerbridge was a person).
Adam Seth Moss

NE2

And Goethals and Holland were what? Dogs?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SidS1045

Quote from: Michael in Philly on December 09, 2010, 08:16:56 AM
Neither is Hugh Carey.

I don't know; my last few trips to North Jersey (where I grew up) I heard plenty of traffic reporters talk about "the RFK."  One added parenthetically that that's the Triborough.  Personally, I'm renaming-averse, perhaps because I'm change-averse in general.  It (renaming, as opposed to change) should be done very sparingly.  RFK I'll accept, like JFK and Martin Luther King - being assassinated helps.  Carey and Koch, not so much.  (If either of them did anything in particular for the bridge and tunnel in question, that might justify it.  After they're dead.)

New Yorkers still don't accept "Avenue of the Americas," and it's been under that official name for 65 years.  At some point a few years back, the city acquiesced to the common usage and dual-signed most of the intersections as "Avenue of the Americas" and "6 Av."
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.