News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8daynegb

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 25, 2021, 06:57:58 PM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on October 25, 2021, 06:33:39 PM
Now to see who people want to lose this WS the most(or which city/team do people think has the moral high ground) .........the city that lost the ASG or the city of the garbage can scandal.

The Braves don't have anything to do with voter-suppression laws passed by the state of Georgia, so I'll root for them over the team that actively cheated.

Well they are playing in the state that passed them......and just remember these laws are less strict than laws for this in Delaware.  If anything people might be rooting for Braves to pile on Biden/Brandon at this point lol
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Henry

At this point I'm recusing myself from picking a winner, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Braves as well, as everybody hates the Astros for their cheating in their championship season of 2017. Besides, trash cans ought to be banned from the dugout...and you know what I mean by that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 26, 2021, 03:43:15 AM
Quote from: kurumi on October 26, 2021, 12:24:15 AM
I'll bang it out on a trash can lid:    --. ---    -... .-. .- ...- . ...
I had to translate that because I thought it meant something else than what you intended it to be. Whew! Go Braves!
I assumed it was Fuck the Red Sox. Nice chant I enjoy.

Flint1979

I wonder if I took a trash can lid to the ballpark if Alex Cora would sign it.

Henry

The Braves steal Game 1 in Houston, but lose Charlie Morton to a leg injury for the rest of the series. This is shaping up to be a fun Fall Classic already.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on October 26, 2021, 06:45:52 PM
I had to translate that because I thought it meant something else than what you intended it to be. Whew! Go Braves!
Unfortunately for you the only team more hated than the Red Sox is the Yankees.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 27, 2021, 12:38:26 PM
Unfortunately for you the only team more hated than the Red Sox is the Yankees.

I dislike both equally.  Throw the Cubs in there as probably as something of a tier below.

Flint1979

The teams I hate I hate them equally.

jp the roadgeek

..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .... . / -.-- .- -. -.- . . ...
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kurumi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 27, 2021, 03:12:15 PM
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / - .... . / -.-- .- -. -.- . . ...

Here's two cents from a bicoastal NE/SF homer:

in the Before Times: Wow, being a die-hard fan in NE is for suckers. Enjoy the good times, disregard the bad, because in the end, it's always someone else's favorite team. Fair weather fan forever! (PS Fuck the Yankees)

1999 NCAAM Championship: Huh. That's cool.

2001 Super Bowl: seems like the clouds might be parting a little

2004 ALCS: with this and the Pats and both UConn teams, actually, the weather's pretty damn sunny now

"Fuck the Yankees" is still a thing, but more amicable (as "1918" has lost its sting) and "Fuck Eli" pops up a couple times; but even the Bruins and Celtics get one. The Red Sox reputation as scrappy underdogs kind of fades too, as they're also a high-payroll team in the Northeast with obnoxious fans. Image: spidermans-pointing-at-each-other.jpg

2010, 12, 14: Hey, non-New York Baseball Giants!

2015: Warriors????

2018: People are sick of the Warriors? For winning??? We were sick of them for losing (and still being the topic on sports talk radio 12 hours a day)

2020: hmmm, the Pats may be done for a while. And UConn's 4(!) championships seem like from another era. Nice run, though
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

KCRoadFan

Astros beat the Braves today, 7-2, to tie the World Series at one game apiece. Game 3 is Friday night in Atlanta.

CoreySamson

Kinda what I expected to happen over the first two games. I think the Astros completely underestimated the Braves in the first game because they were distracted by the fact that the Dodgers weren't going to play in the WS and because they were fooled by the Braves' comparatively low winning percentage. Also, I don't think people realize how similar these two teams are in terms of stats. But now I think the Astros are on track. I'm predicting Astros in 6.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kevinb1994

Congrats to the Braves for winning the World Series. 4-2 baby!

Henry

Back to Houston tomorrow night for Game 6; too bad the Braves couldn't clinch in their home park like they did in '95.

I-39

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 28, 2021, 01:17:06 PM
Kinda what I expected to happen over the first two games. I think the Astros completely underestimated the Braves in the first game because they were distracted by the fact that the Dodgers weren't going to play in the WS and because they were fooled by the Braves' comparatively low winning percentage. Also, I don't think people realize how similar these two teams are in terms of stats. But now I think the Astros are on track. I'm predicting Astros in 6.

You should never be so confident in a team managed by Dusty Baker

Congrats to the Braves!

Flint1979

Quote from: I-39 on November 02, 2021, 11:39:56 PM

That is so true. I have seen this guy ruin the careers of several players, especially pitchers.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on November 01, 2021, 11:37:32 AM
Back to Houston tomorrow night for Game 6; too bad the Braves couldn't clinch in their home park like they did in '95.

I looked it up last night and no team has won the World Series at home since 2013.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ET21

Last time a team clinched a World Series on a shutout win: Game 4 2005, White Sox 1, Houston 0.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CNGL-Leudimin

As I expected, the Astros are now cursed. I congrat the Braves for their "World" Series win, and thus the supposed curse over Atlanta is now broken (it may have been broken by MLS's Atlanta United FC in 2018). I predict others will follow, such as the Cleveland Indians Guardians.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Flint1979

Quote from: ET21 on November 03, 2021, 09:07:04 AM
Last time a team clinched a World Series on a shutout win: Game 4 2005, White Sox 1, Houston 0.
I remember that game well.

Henry

Quote from: ET21 on November 03, 2021, 09:07:04 AM
It's also ironic that the '91 and '95 World Series ended with that same score (Game 7 and 6, respectively). The Braves were on the losing end of the former, but went on to win the latter.

And on yet another note, for the second time in three years, the Astros have lost the Fall Classic to a team that had a losing record at the All-Star break. You remember how the Braves' NL East rivals, the Washington Nationals, lost 31 of their first 50 games, and then started heating up late in the regular season before ending their red-hot postseason run with their city's first World Series championship in 95 years? It just goes to show that in the MLB postseason, payroll and the number of wins you had over the 162-game schedule don't mean a thing.

I'm glad I could see Atlanta get its second World Series title; hopefully the Falcons will win a Super Bowl, and the Hawks an NBA championship (that is, to go with the one they got from their St. Louis years).

CoreySamson

Hey, I'm happy we've managed to make it to the WS 3 times in the last 5 years, and at least we didn't have to lose at the hands of the Dodgers.  :sombrero:  I feel really bad for Dusty, though. Congrats, Atlanta!
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

ran4sh

Go Braves!

Five decades of major league sports in Atlanta and this is only our 2nd championship (3rd if you include MLS)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

I-39

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 03, 2021, 06:39:30 AM

That is so true. I have seen this guy ruin the careers of several players, especially pitchers.

Not just that, but he's one of the biggest managerial chokers in baseball history. He has a whole section on his Wikipedia page describing them all. The "˜93 Giants, the "˜02 Giants, the "˜03 Cubs, the "˜12 Reds, etc, just to name some of them.

Flint1979

Quote from: I-39 on November 03, 2021, 11:37:41 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 03, 2021, 06:39:30 AM

Not just that, but he's one of the biggest managerial chokers in baseball history. He has a whole section on his Wikipedia page describing them all. The "˜93 Giants, the "˜02 Giants, the "˜03 Cubs, the "˜12 Reds, etc, just to name some of them.
Yeah I remember when he said that putting guys on base isn't important and just clogs up the bases. I remember the first year he managed the Giants they won 103 games but missed the postseason because the Braves won 104 games. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.