News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhen_var

Quote from: vdeane on April 28, 2024, 09:34:15 PM
Quote from: rhen_var on April 28, 2024, 04:02:28 PMI think that's actually pretty neat.  It's funded by Cavenue, not taxes, and regular cars can still use the lane (except for dedicated testing times, which, as noted in the video, only happens when the loss of the third lane isn't an issue).  It's also now a unique little stretch of freeway which is cool to see.
It's still less versatile, though, since you can't just move into that lane to pass people.  It's basically a separate one-lane carriageway, so you're stuck behind whoever the slowest driver in it is.
It's only a couple of miles though.  Not really a big issue.

GaryV

It's an issue if there's a blockage 1.5 miles into the couple of miles. And you can't get out.

Flint1979

That's stupid just like the flex lanes are stupid. I-94 is only three lanes in each direction with very heavy traffic volumes and should have been widened across the entire state 20-30 years ago just like US-23 between Flint and Toledo should have been. If I was in this lane and got stuck behind some one moving slow a a mile or so into the lane then I can't get back over to get around the slow moving vehicle because of those cones in the way. I seriously hope that MDOT isn't thinking about doing this anywhere else. They have come up with some very stupid things over the years and this is indeed one of them.

Flint1979

Quote from: rhen_var on April 28, 2024, 10:32:10 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 28, 2024, 09:34:15 PM
Quote from: rhen_var on April 28, 2024, 04:02:28 PMI think that's actually pretty neat.  It's funded by Cavenue, not taxes, and regular cars can still use the lane (except for dedicated testing times, which, as noted in the video, only happens when the loss of the third lane isn't an issue).  It's also now a unique little stretch of freeway which is cool to see.
It's still less versatile, though, since you can't just move into that lane to pass people.  It's basically a separate one-lane carriageway, so you're stuck behind whoever the slowest driver in it is.
It's only a couple of miles though.  Not really a big issue.
In that area of I-94 it most certainly is an issue.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on Today at 08:01:18 AMIt's an issue if there's a blockage 1.5 miles into the couple of miles. And you can't get out.

And with I-94 traffic to contend with.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.