Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

SH 360 north in Euless, TX (DFW)

iPhone

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 18, 2017, 06:17:45 PM
October 18: Post an exit direction sign (that is, the last sign before a freeway exit) that uses an arrow other than a typical diagonal arrow or a down arrow. So fair game are loop arrows, the weird NJ Turnpike arrows, right arrows, et al.

Lane diagram signs in Utah

UT-I-15X338N by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Cloverleaf turn arrow in Iowa

IA-I-80X239BE by Paul Drives, on Flickr

180 degree turn arrow in Arizona

AZ-I-40-X053W by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

hotdogPi

QuoteOctober 19, 2017: Non-standard road signs that tell you to do something (or not to do something) that applies regardless of the existence of the sign.

Obey Pedestrian Crosswalk Law by Lexington Minuteman, on Flickr

"Obey Pedestrian Crosswalk Law". You need to obey it even if there is no sign here.

Photo taken on October 15.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Scott5114

I feel like the "nonstandard" part might need clarification–there's plenty of regulatory signs that do that, like "Keep Right Except to Pass", "Buckle Up", etc. that always apply by statute whether signed or not...

For example, this specific sign doesn't appear in any MUTCD or ODOT standard book (i.e. it's a designable sign), and it uses negative-contrast all-caps Clearview (which has never been standard), but it's black and white, so...standard enough, maybe?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 07:54:29 AM
I feel like the "nonstandard" part might need clarification–there's plenty of regulatory signs that do that, like "Keep Right Except to Pass", "Buckle Up", etc. that always apply by statute whether signed or not...

For example, this specific sign doesn't appear in any MUTCD or ODOT standard book (i.e. it's a designable sign), and it uses negative-contrast all-caps Clearview (which has never been standard), but it's black and white, so...standard enough, maybe?

It counts. By "nonstandard", I'm excluding signs like "no left turn" or "one way" onto a divided highway.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

empirestate

It would also to apply to many non-road signs, such as "No Trespassing" or "Unauthorized Persons Prohibited". ;-)

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on October 19, 2017, 08:50:53 AM

It would also to apply to many non-road signs, such as "No Trespassing" or "Unauthorized Persons Prohibited". ;-)

Maybe this is semantics, but...  I thought trespassing on a person's property was legal unless they had signs or a fence.  This, it was my understanding, is why a lot of farm owners post signs on their property to keep hunters off their land:  without the signs, it would be legal for them to be there.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2017, 01:13:20 PM
Quote from: empirestate on October 19, 2017, 08:50:53 AM

Maybe this is semantics, but...  I thought trespassing on a person's property was legal unless they had signs or a fence.  This, it was my understanding, is why a lot of farm owners post signs on their property to keep hunters off their land:  without the signs, it would be legal for them to be there.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If it's legal, it ain't trespassing.

paulthemapguy

QuoteOctober 20, 2017:  Post a photo you took in 2017 of a state, provincial, or national welcome sign where a road meets a political boundary.

Taken October 9, 2017 on I-5 northbound

Oregon I-5 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

It took me until my 6th trip to California to cross a border into or out of the state.  My first 5 trips were flights to a California airport, and then staying within the state boundaries for the entire trip.  This was taken October 3, 2017.

California US199 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

April 25, 2017:  Entering Utah from the south on I-15.

UT-I-15STN by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

MNHighwayMan

QuoteOctober 20, 2017:  Post a photo you took in 2017 of a state, provincial, or national welcome sign where a road meets a political boundary.

Here's MO-139/Wayne CR-S40 at the Iowa/Missouri state line.

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 20, 2017, 09:59:57 AM
October 20, 2017:  Post a photo you took in 2017 of a state, provincial, or national welcome sign where a road meets a political boundary.

I singed up for Imgur just to post this picture.  Photostream no longer lets me share pictures without paying.  I haven't used the email account associated with my Flickr account in so long that it sent a verification code to a different account; I haven't used that one in so long that it sent a verification code to an account I haven't used in at least 12 years.

June 2017, US-50 westbound, two of my three sons

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dgolub

October 20, 2017:  Post a photo you took in 2017 of a state, provincial, or national welcome sign where a road meets a political boundary.

I-64 westbound entering West Virginia:

7/8

My trips to Orlando and Montreal gave me lots of options here!

My home province of Ontario (on the 401 at the Quebec border)

Pennsylvania (on US 15 at the Maryland border)

Michigan, USA (on the Blue Water Bridge on the Ontario border)

7/8

QuoteOctober 21st, 2017: Post a photo of the highest exit number in your collection.

For me, it's definitely exit 825 on the 401 in Ontario. It's easy to forget how long of a drive it is to Quebec.

MNHighwayMan

QuoteOctober 21st, 2017: Post a photo of the highest exit number in your collection.

My answer to this is definitely the MN-61 exit at the northern terminus of I-35.

Truvelo

328 seems to be the highest I can find.

Speed limits limit life

OracleUsr

I would have uploaded US 13 off I-276 but it's on my other computer and I'm too lazy.

Instead I'll use this:

Day 3 of 2012 Lighthouse Trip Plus I-95 Terminus 051 by Brent White, on Flickr

I-95 at US 2, Houlton, ME
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

MCRoads

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Jim

I-10 in Texas.  August 28, 2003.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

bassoon1986

I-35 northbound in Texas. I should really take more road pictures. Especially as many times as I drove through east Texas passing exit 635 on I-20.

iPhone

dgolub

Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-276) westbound at exit 358:

MCRoads

10/22 ==> post a picture of a traffic barrel.

https://imgur.com/a/R253w
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

formulanone

7/8

Quote10/22 ==> post a picture of a traffic barrel.

Here are some of Ontario's unique black-and-orange traffic barrels (on the 400 NB in the Oak Ridges Morraine)

The more common white-and-orange traffic barrels (on I-75 NB in Findlay, OH - I think...)

Truvelo

Quote10/22 ==> post a picture of a traffic barrel.

US 14 being widened in Wisconsin in 2009.

Speed limits limit life

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.